Nomad as a freeride bike?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey guys, just curious about the merits of the nomad alloy as a single crown fr bike. Would it be able to hold its own against the commencal supreme 6 as a mini dh bike...

Cheers.

Sketchl

Likes Bikes
Born to Freeride!

The SC Nomad was born to Freeride! Do anything trail bike.....swear by them.

photo.JPG

Shredden

Knows his goats
My local trails are mostly flattish with heaps of doubles (30ft or so)

Thinking the nomad could be cool in a year or two...

driftking

Wheel size expert
What are the concerns about it? travel,geo,design?

Without looking at geo charts etc the biggest variation is going to be the suspension design, pivot points and leverage.
I love the commencal design cant fault the feeling of having more suspension when you need it and less when you dont. feels awesome. I have ridden a VPP only a hand full of times but they are also a very nice feeling design, I was on a V10 though so it was hard to compared with the travel variation.

The commencals do get brake jack, owning a supreme DH you do notice it but it tends to be from poor technique, brake jack stiffens up the shock under braking making it less reactive to bumps hence becomes stiff. This is not a issue though if you brake correctly, you should not be braking in rock gardens or in rough sections/corners, all braking shoul dbe done prior to these sections as it increases grip and allows the suspension to do its job without other forces acting upon it. there are times when braking in rough sections may be neccesary, I have found two things though.

1.The brake jack encourages me to get off the brakes, although it may feel sketchy I know the suspension will perform better and gives me confidence in it. The commencal on top of that is a bike that rides better the faster/harder you push it so its not a bad little combo if you can convince yourself to stay off the brakes.

2.You get used to any feeling your bike has like with any bike you adapt to its handling and brake jack is the same.

With two bikes that are quite different in suspension design your best bet is to ride both. But to answer your question in short the nomad should be more than capable. dudes hit 30ft gaps on hardtails, if they are smooth enough.

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Sounds pretty good.

At the moment I have a Blur XC, buying a v10.3 in a week, and a scott voltage YZ0. Thinking it would be cool to eventually have a nomad built up as a mini DH bike, with totems, single ring etc. I guess the biggest things I am concerned about are:

a) Its jumping/whip/x-up/other goon style shit ability
b) Its strength

The guess I am asking whether strength/jumpability wise it would compare to an SX trail, supreme 6, 2009 style reign etc or more of a trail bike.

I know I will never ever be able to ride this well/build trails this good, but the style of riding I have in mind is this sort of stuff. I guess you could call it slopestyle crossed with dh?

[video=youtube;0zLuqKNKOqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLuqKNKOqs[/video]

Joy

Likes Dirt
I came from a VP Free onto a Nomad recently. I've been downhilling all week in New Zealand and the bike has performed perfectly. If anything it feels better than my VP Free. Some of the drops have had some rough landings where a bigger bike might have soaked up the hit more, but that's about it. I've hit pretty much all the same stuff as my (quite capable) brother on his Glory.

My Free had Boxxers and a coil shock. Nomad has Fox 36s and a DHX Air