Noob question - What do you take riding?

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
I got caught out without a tube with the correct size valve on the weekend. The rims on the new bike I bought are not compatible with the spare tube I had from my last bike, and despite applying 6 patches I was unable to get going again for more than 500m before tube failed again. Luckily I was just 2km or so from the car.

So for puncture repair what is the best to take riding? I'm getting my rims drilled to accomodate the larger valve as a start. In a group of riders I presume 1 tube each will be enough to cover all mishaps between you, a puncture repair kit - are the self adhesives better than the glue? Is a pump or that compressed CO2 best? Never seem to get enough pressure back in from a small hand pump. And what about that liquid that goes in tubes, any good as a repair option?

Apart from that I take water, some coin and a mobile phone - although I smashed the screen on that last weekend up at the Oaks...

Love to hear your thoughts.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
SPanky takes 2 tubes..... if he get more than 2 punctures.. watch the tourettes fire up. He has a puncture kit.... but last time he had to use it, glue was dry.... and yes, his tourettes got so very worse.

Crappy mobile phone with I.C.E (in case of emergencies)....

Small first aid kit... basic one.

Pump for shock, pump for tyres....

Lollies... lots and lots and lots of lollies.... some are in bags, others just roll round in the filth and then he gives them away on group rides....

Tee Hee

Spanky

p.s. Spanky got given a compressed CO2 cylinder..... didnt like it....

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The stick on patches have always let me down though I usually carry one or two of them. The glue patch kit is usually a last resort after tube failure... just in case. Carry two tubes as well.

I also carry a hanger, powerlink plus a few links of spare chain plus of course a multi tool with chain tool.

Also a note with my emergency details as well as the mobile ICE numbers.

Some snake bandages just so I can prolong my inevitable snake bite death. Plus some basic first aid and neurofen.

Also enough food and water for the walk back if I have a severe failure 20km out.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ATM I take water, money, multitool and a mobile phone. But thats just going round bunya and gap creek where I'm never more than 7 -10km away from the car.

If im going to be more than 15km away from the car I take a small pump, spare tube, money, multitool, tyre levers, chain breaker, patch kit and a mobile phone. I try to carry as light as possible, I'm sure I will learn soon... Infact I already have learnt but I still try to carry light :confused:

Last edited:

|-Mark-|

Likes Dirt
phone, Money in wallet. Allen key set, Cone spanners, spoke key, Tire leavers, Puncture repair kit, Shinnies, Shifter and umm......

JoshyC

Likes Dirt
I usually just take the very basics,

Camelbak, food, phone, allan keys, money & puncture repair kit (came with tyre levers in it).

Usually me mates have the other necessary tools:p
If im not with them or they dont have tools to bring then ill also carry a pump if im not close to home.

tom_burford_orr

Likes Dirt
two tubes,
first aid kit,
allan keys or full tool kit for downhilling,
glasses/goggles depedning on what im doing,
spare parts in the car,
4 litters of water - or around about that in the car
(2 litre bladder and two one litre bottles.)
snacks,
mobile,
wallet - money can often fix any problem with a bike that your not expecting

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey when I go DH'ing I take heaps of stuff and leave it at the bottom of the hill, including;
- Red Bull and Water
- Small Tool Box (Allan Keys, Pump, Zip Ties, Spoke Key, Shifter)
- Tube
- Protective Gear (Pressure Suit, Gloves, Googles, Shoes, Shinnies,Helmet)
- BIKE!!!!
- And a spare pair of nuts just incase I land on mine :eek: (can never be to cautious.
Adam