Norco Fluid stiff rear suspension?

Howdy all just picked myself up a Norco Fluid 1 frame on Ebay which I have just built up with scavenged parts from a 2008 stumpy and a 2006 Giant reign.

As both the Norco and Stumpy both have FSR horst link rear ends I was expecting a similar suspension feel. However the Fluid feels a lot firmer especially on small bumps. To get a ‘plush’ feel to the rear end I have to run up to 40-50% sag.

Its not all bad as currently it pedals like the dickens. The shock is an RP23 and I’ve checked that it’s not in the 100mm position, and Pro pedal is definitely off.

I am running a 28T Widgit bolted to the Granny ring could this cause the suspension to stiffen?

So to all you Fluid owners out there is this normal for a Norco fluid. If not any ideas on what might be causing it, and how mush sag do you normally run?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
apologies if it sounds like a bit of a patronizing question but were the bearings ok? and are all the torque settings on the pivot bolts OK? Otherwise it may just be the type of bike.

I remeber my mates riegn felt super stiff compared to my enduro.

Not a patronizing question at all, in fact I was actually wondering about the tension on the pivot bolts, and the bearings should be good as its a new frame. I'm just starting to think its just the way this suspension design works, stiff in the first part of the stroke. However the few reviews i have read of the bike all say it has a plush rear end.

If anyone out there has a Fluid would be keen to hear your opinion.

Prob a silly question but do rear shocks have a break in period like forks?