Norco Range c 7.2 vs Specialized enduro elite 650b ??

crim 87

Likes Dirt
hey guys looking at making a new purchase soon to upgrade my current ride (enduro comp 29) i love the bike but its a bit sluggish on the climbs and super tight corners , but rips on the descents. i'm looking for any feedback on both of the above bikes mentioned i recently test rode the norco and loved the feel of it much more nimble and easy to flick around but didn't think it was that light for a carbon bike i'm pretty sure the enduro elite is actually lighter with an alloy frame and $1000 dollars cheaper , which could be spent on a wheel upgrade. the expert carbon model is another $1600 more and only roughly 700 grams lighter and i don't really like the color. if anyone had any info or reviews at all that would be great thanks heaps.

haltz

Likes Dirt
I thought the ranges were around 13 out of the box? Not bad for a 160mm travel bike, but weight isn't the only reason to go for carbon if you have the option, the stiffness of the carbon frame make your cornering a whole new level. I don't think you'll gain much in the way of climbing with either of them bikes coming from a 29 but I have heard the ranges climb pretty damn well and I dare say the your enduro 29 would climb better than an enduro 650b, but hey that's climbing, you only climb to descend after all and either of them bikes are gonna descend like a champ but I'd choose the carbon option

marc.r

Likes Dirt
as holtz said, enduro 29ers are said to be firmer in the shocks and better climbers AND faster descenders (if a little less fun) then the 650bs. the 650bs will be more "flickable" though.

Would you consider buying carbon wheels, cockpit and 1x11 drivetrain for your 29er? You will likely end up with a better bike then you would when upgrading for similar or less money.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
thanks for the replies guys I've already gone 1x10 on my enduro recently just ordered a wolf tooth gc 42t aswell to bail me out on some of the steeper pinches. the bars I've already swapped out to some spank spike 777 bearcloth's. also wouldn't mind trying a shorter stem to sharpen up the steering a bit. My Christmas present to myself was a set of pikes which are much much better than the fox's. have toyed with the idea of carbon wheels but it's a lot of money also would love to upgrade the rear shock to maybe a monarch debonair or cc inline. but im really leaning towards getting the smaller wheel size to liven up the whole ride for cornering , jumping , acceleration and just all round fun. i love my 29 but it feels just to big and burly for the tight technical things I'm doing.

haltz

Likes Dirt
That's fair enough I can't speak as an owner of a 29er but I've had 2 27.5 and only have my dad's trance 29er to compare and I didn't see the lacking thing in tech stuff with the 29er, his trance is perfectly playful so to speak, I think it might come down.to frame design more than anything and maybe if your 29er enduro isn't tickling your fancy the 650b enduro might not either, they do look like plow machines haha might just be time to try something else! You answered your own question

crim 87

Likes Dirt
That's fair enough I can't speak as an owner of a 29er but I've had 2 27.5 and only have my dad's trance 29er to compare and I didn't see the lacking thing in tech stuff with the 29er, his trance is perfectly playful so to speak, I think it might come down.to frame design more than anything and maybe if your 29er enduro isn't tickling your fancy the 650b enduro might not either, they do look like plow machines haha might just be time to try something else! You answered your own question

yeah i know it's so hard to decide there's so many good bikes out there (transition patrol look sick but are on the heavy side and a little over priced so the range is a no brainer over that also focus sam and the canyon's look awsome to). The 29 is not really slow in the tech stuff more so the tight berms and switchbacks and a little slow on accelerating , but once it's got it's momentum up it flies. i wanted to stick with specialized cause it's what i know , love and trust hopefully can organize a test ride on one would be great to answer some questions. the build spec on both the range and elite are awsome it's just hard deciding which will be the better all rounder ??

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
I had a 2014 carbon range and it was mind boggling. I was setting pbs on all the downs and most ups as well. (Even trails I was riding my 120mm on). The thing with the Range/Sights/Aurums you get the best of specialized which is (imo) the horst link rear end but modified to give the axle a modified path to deal with square edge hits better. You also get size specific rear ends to match changing front centers. So you always get that "in the bike feel" but it remains poppy no matter your height.

Norco for the win since they got on the 650b bandwagon.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
I had a 2014 carbon range and it was mind boggling. I was setting pbs on all the downs and most ups as well. (Even trails I was riding my 120mm on). The thing with the Range/Sights/Aurums you get the best of specialized which is (imo) the horst link rear end but modified to give the axle a modified path to deal with square edge hits better. You also get size specific rear ends to match changing front centers. So you always get that "in the bike feel" but it remains poppy no matter your height.

Norco for the win since they got on the 650b bandwagon.
cheers mate have you still got the bike ?? have you made any upgrades what height are you and what size did you go for im around 6ft and test rode the large and felt like a really good fit

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
Hey man
I unfortunely dont have it anymore. I received it through the shop I was working at as part of a workplace agreement but the boss defaulted on the agreement and I have changed shops because of it.
Anyways I stand at 5'11 and went with the medium and was happy with the reach. I did bump the seat forward about 5 mm and found it climbed much better that way.
All I did was change the grips and go tubeless.
As am example of how confident the bike makes you feel; one of our locals here on the sunny coast there is a track I was consistently pulling 1.28s 1.30s. Third ride on the range, first time on the track I dropped 11 seconds.
I really miss this bike. The 2015 is better spec though and cheaper so I might just get one of them!

Last edited:

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I'm at work so cant get access to youtube but have a look at Bike Mags bible of bike tests just released in the last week. I believe both the 650 and 29 Enduro get a review as well as one of the Range models.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I also own an e29 comp. I know what you mean about the enduro 29 feeling sluggish on the climbs, but I think its fairly deceptive in how it climbs (I have really surprised myself since I started using strava). I think some lighter better wheels and a faster rolling rear tyre really livens them up (the purgatory is draggy as hell out back). As mentioned above, I cant see the 650b being any less sluggish in climbing (in fact its probably slower over any sort of significant distance - up or down).

crim 87

Likes Dirt
I'm at work so cant get access to youtube but have a look at Bike Mags bible of bike tests just released in the last week. I believe both the 650 and 29 Enduro get a review as well as one of the Range models.

yeah ive checked out both the vids all the bikes get a pretty good reviews but they prefer the 29 over the 27.5 but they said that it was maybe due to the trail they were on i'll be swapping to the smaller wheel size regardless

crim 87

Likes Dirt
Do we even get the elite? I've only seen the comp,evo and s works around

damn looks like your right no elite here in Aus but we do get the expert carbon will prob wait till this years drop for new colors cause the white sucks unless i got to NZ and grab an elite and use it as a good excuse for a riding holiday !!!

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
yeah ive checked out both the vids all the bikes get a pretty good reviews but they prefer the 29 over the 27.5 but they said that it was maybe due to the trail they were on i'll be swapping to the smaller wheel size regardless
I have ridden both and I found the 29er to feel super high. Even though I don't think theres much of a difference in bb height numbers it just felt higher.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have fun trying to get a Norco. Most of them are already spoken for, can't produce enough to fill the demand. My Sight 7.2C turns up in under a month! Finally confirmed to be shipped, only been waiting since August...

crim 87

Likes Dirt
I have ridden both and I found the 29er to feel super high. Even though I don't think theres much of a difference in bb height numbers it just felt higher.

i feel the bb is very low on the 29 i catch myself clipping a pedal quite often in little holes and wash outs with the pedal right down under full compression

Geez that's a massive wait will be worth it though when do the new Norco's and Specialized's get dropped this year ??