north shore building

josh_lives_here

Likes Dirt
does ne1 no were i could get some designes, plans or blue prints on some ideas for north shore.....nething at all just post it please

CHEWY

Eats Squid
its not hard to make, just use your imagination
is it going to use trees as main supports? or be freestanding?

josh_lives_here

Likes Dirt
well ive got an absolute shitload of treated pine wooden poles that were used for a little kidds playground and there about 3 or 4 metrs long and about half a foot wide so were goin 2 burry them into the ground about 2 ft for supports and the we'll just turn it into a north shore track

S.

ex offender
a) where are you going to put this NS stuff?
b) why do you want it? Just for the hell of it, or do you have creeks/fallen trees that need crossing?
c) do you realise that NS constructions are illegal, and if found by the council, WILL result in them being torn down AND probably the trail being destroyed?

notobe

Likes Dirt
question. why are they illegal? just for safety reasons? what if there on private property?

wait.. thats 3 questions.

S.

ex offender
notobe said:
question. why are they illegal? just for safety reasons? what if there on private property?

wait.. thats 3 questions.
On private property it's legal, of course. Yeah probably for liability reasons, but basically you're not allowed to build anything *permanent* (jumps etc are considered to be permanent, whereas tents are not) on public land without consent.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've designed a fair bit of NS just on paper that i have not started building on my land yet.
if i can get the scanner to work i'll e-mail them to you.
Just use your imagination. Start building not high off the gorund untill u get the hang of it, if something fails at 2 feet up it is not as likely to be as painfull as a 12 foot high bridge!

Also, Don't just have NS, link sections with flowy singletrack which incorporates berms, maybe jumps, drops etc. Keep it interesting

Konaman

Likes Dirt
Simo said:
i've designed a fair bit of NS just on paper that i have not started building on my land yet.
if i can get the scanner to work i'll e-mail them to you.
Just use your imagination. Start building not high off the gorund untill u get the hang of it, if something fails at 2 feet up it is not as likely to be as painfull as a 12 foot high bridge!

Also, Don't just have NS, link sections with flowy singletrack which incorporates berms, maybe jumps, drops etc. Keep it interesting
He makes a good point dont just build a whole trail of ns mix it up a bit, dont just make ns in sections that dont need it for the sake of it. If theres a rock section use it, if theres steep sections turn it into a nice decent.

2 smooth

Likes Dirt
Yep, im with Konaman. For example, the way that some of the terain has been implimented with shore at Red Hill is sick...If your going to make NS, make sure it incorperates some of the surrounding natural obsticals aswell, not just stading in the middle of a track, which is also fun, but in my opinion, its alot better if you can use the surroundings.

2 smooth

Likes Dirt
gromet said:
most of the red hill shore is broken need to get down there and fix it all
Yeh i reacon... The seesaw is farked, its all busted up at the top end of it, so ill take the iniative sometime, when i have time, and fix it up so its all working shmick again.

wombat

Lives in a hole
What is the obsession with "north shore" trails? I think they're a great way to solve some of the problems associated with typical trails (erosion, blocked sections etc.) but really, building the stuff just for the sake of it seems a little silly to me.

2 smooth

Likes Dirt
I guess some people, including myself, find it fun...sure its not original, and im partial to both side of the argument, but its still a fun challenge to try well built NS style trails isn't it?