northern beaches BMX and jump park

kitakishi

Likes Dirt
found this on the warringah council website....

Junior BMX (Dirt) Bicycle Track Facilities in Pittwater
Council is pleased to advise that a small, junior BMX facility will be constructed at Hitchcock Park, Careel Bay in the general vicinity of the existing playground equipment adjoining the carpark and amenities block. The track will be designed for use by children under 10 years of age and will be installed together with a proposed upgrade of the playground equipment.

Council is also considering creating another junior BMX facility at Kitchener Park in conjunction with the existing skate park facilities.

An unauthorised BMX bike jump track is located in the wetland adjoining Careel Creek to the north of the new clubhouse building. This track will need to be removed, as it is in an environmentally sensitive area. Council would however like to work with the builders of the existing track, in order to construct a new jump track in a more appropriate location closer to the Careel Bay Soccer Fields. Would those involved please contact Steve Lawler on 9970 1359.

If you would like to comment on any of Council's BMX proposals, please forward written submissions to Steve Lawler, Pittwater Council, PO Box 882, Mona Vale 1660 by 5pm on 30 January 2004.

This may be of interest to any northern beaches guys who use this jump area or who want to build new ones with council approval.

Not sure how good these existing jumps are..

naz

Criminally Inane
hey balmoral is ment to have a sk8 park n jump park similar to terry hills, but councils are all talk :roll: :p
im doubting it will happen..unless ur council act does shit

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they are remaking terry hills bmx and ive seen"plans" for it, but i think on the blue prints they went a bit over kill.

Dicky

Punter God
yeah, i'm of two minds about the whole thing...

took us 14 months to get a shed approved by pittwater council, and all we were doing was tearing down the old one and building a slightly larger one.

when Av skatepark was planned and constructed, it was much more of a community driven event. There's a big plaque on the north east corner thanking all the people who donated money.

There is a fair amount of BMX talent up this way, but they're all about 14-15 yr old kids. I'm the only mountain biker i know of up here, so that gives us a community army of maybe 20 ppl.

hopefully the council will get behind it.

as for the 'unauthorised jump track', it's built on the side of the mangrove wetlands, and floods when it rains. The biggest jump is usually about a foot high. Removing it will take one guy with a shovel about an hour and a half.

Dicky

Punter God
the alternative of course is all the locals buy mountain bikes and go exploring... while there's not a huge amount of trails up here, there are a lot of small challenging sections, like the trail off the back of The Pinnacle, that heads down to Palmgrove Road, then down to Dress Circle Road behind the primary school. Nice n steep.
And all of the trails around the water tanks above Newport.
Then there's Angophora Reserve, but i think i and whoever i take with me are the only people who've ridden it.

oh yeah if anyone lives around Avalon / Newport / Bilgola / Mona Vale, i live up on the plateau - give me a buzz and i'll take you down some stuff you probably haven't seen.

olsson

Likes Dirt
Well councils may be all talk. but I suppose if you get the supporters it might happen. Same with Beacon Hill oval. Everyone pitched in and they saved it. But the point is. Do you want another BMX track etc. Where are the funds going to come from and things like that. I wouldn't mind it. But it really is up to the coucil IMO I doubt it will happen though. :lol:

SW

Cannon Fodder
I rekon it looks likely. its got a fair bit of support from the parents of kids in the area cuase it keeps them off the street. There was another unorthorised one on Therry St in Avalon which the council demolished, this created a bit of controversy. A fair bit of shit was said about it the papers and this is the councils response. I built the first jump down at Careel Bay bout 2 years ago, since then some of the younger kids have added to the collection. Last time i saw them they were pretty shit (bout year ago). If i'd known they were lookin for advice earlier i would a spoke up. Shit eh. If its to be designed for 10 yo's i wouldn't expect too much.. but once the dirts there... nothin a shovel cant fix.

kitakishi

Likes Dirt
i guess even 10 year olds have to learn to jump somewhere....

as someone who is older than 10 but totally sucks at DJ i find the little pebble sized jumps at little bit easier to practice on...

well easier than the jumps at red hill...