NSW [Northern Sydney] HSMBA Invites Trail Ideas

Nmag

Likes Dirt
The first HSMBA Newsletter has been sent to approximately 300 registered members. The Newsletter invites trail ideas AND requests all members to encourage another 1 or 2 friends to register with HSMBA. Please submit trail ideas by April 1st 2009 to info@hsmba.info. There are various ways you can provide your trail ideas..

TRAIL FEEDBACK INSTRUCTIONS

Please email your ideas to info@hsmba.info

The ideas will be consolidated together to form part of a
comprehensive report. This is a data gathering exercise and so please
put forward any ideas you have. The idea can be very basic or it could
be extremely detailed. We are looking for trail descriptions (width,
difficulty, length, etc), location ideas and we are also interested in
your thoughts on potential trailheads and "positive control points" -
these are places you would like to ride to. Eg. A bridge, waterhole,
old building, cafe, lookout, favourite bit of forest where you kissed
your bike on that special evening, etc.

1. The preferred method is to receive a kmz file - generated when
plotting a path in google earth, google maps, GPSies, etc (detailed
instructions for the google earth option are found at the end of the
email).

2. Copy a map and draw on it (eg. MS Paint or even just use a pen and
scan it) and email the resulting picture.

3. Just email a description in words.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CREATING A KMZ FILE IN GOOGLE EARTH

Using Google Earth it is simple to create a path and email it to us.

If you don't have Google Earth then go to

http://earth.google.com/

It's a free download

If you need help drawing your paths you can follow these instructions

http://earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v4/ug_drawing.html

If you have any notes about the trail please put them into the
description section of the paths information.

If you have multiple paths, polygons or place markers then create a
folder to drag them into.

Refer to these instructions

http://earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v4/ug_places.html#creating

To email the paths to us just right click on the folder or path and
choose the email option. Follow the prompts and email it to
info@hsmba.info

http://hsmba.info/

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can we have some co-ordinates as to where the trail could be built?
At the moment there I cant find anything regarding exactly where this is in the hornsby shire.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a lot of ground to cover.
There seems to be a good starting point near the quarry.
And plenty of fire road to join sections up later on in the plan.
I dont know if it will interfere with the blugum walk.
You could always start off the othe side of the quarry.
then there's something that looks like an air strip with a road beside it.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
has anybody put a course together?
is there some where we can see other peoples ideas?

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
I got sent this and wanted to send onto all those wishing to assist building more track in the Hornsby area. They are looking at Lane Cove Nat. Park. The more, the merrier, or just sit back and let all the hard work unfold and whinge that we have limited places to roll around. :rolleyes:
I've not built trails much since I was a kid, and now I'm into the sport want to be involved in doing this right.
Cheers
Rob

Hi Everyone,
Part of the solution for providing mountain biking facilities in our area will hopefully involve Lane Cove National Park. The Plan Of Management is currently under review and we want to voice our desirefor mountain bike access in the Park.

Next week (Aug 18) there will be a NPWS public meeting where we can voice our opinion (and hear opinions from other interest groups). If you care about riding in LCNP or other Sydney parks it's importantto turn up and show your support as numbers will carry weight.

Please make time and come along if you can. I guess they are expecting a large turnout as you must register your intent to show up at this meeting, by one of these methods:

Email lanecove.pom@environment.nsw.gov.au (preferred)
Tel: 02 8448 0400

Date: 18th August 2009
Time: 6:30PM
Location: North Ryde RSL Community Club (Pittwater and Magdala Roads- NorthRyde).
http://www.northrydersl.com.au/

See you there!
Regards, HSMBA​

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
We need all Rotorburners and their mtb friends from Sydney to register for this meeting and turn up for this.:eek:

It would send a massive message to National Parks, which would mean when they review the Plan of Management for your local National park we have a much greater chance of trails being built or opened.

If you like riding in your local National Park, please turn up neat and on your best behavior!

Its time for Sydney to catch up with the rest of the world with legalized trails.

Tuesday 18th August 2009 Spread the word

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, PLEASE ATTEND!!!!

RSVP NOW for single track in Sydney...this is an amazing advancement in mountain bike and national parks relationship!

See you there!

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
I had this reply to my RSVP of the meeting. Just to let those know about what the meeting is about.

We are a bit concerned that some of those who have registered are under the impression that the meeting is to be only on future mountain bike riding within Lane Cove National Park going on the emails that we have received. So I would just like to confirm that the public meeting will not cover any specific Park issue in great detail and that it will primarily focus on a revisit of the old plan of management, the review process for the new Plan of management, briefly cover any new issues being considered and most importantly how to make an effective submission on the draft when it is publicly exhibited.

If this is your expectation of the meeting then great but I just wanted to clarify so there is no confusion as to the purpose of the evening by those wishing to attend.​

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had this reply to my RSVP of the meeting. Just to let those know about what the meeting is about.

We are a bit concerned that some of those who have registered are under the impression that the meeting is to be only on future mountain bike riding within Lane Cove National Park going on the emails that we have received. So I would just like to confirm that the public meeting will not cover any specific Park issue in great detail and that it will primarily focus on a revisit of the old plan of management, the review process for the new Plan of management, briefly cover any new issues being considered and most importantly how to make an effective submission on the draft when it is publicly exhibited.

If this is your expectation of the meeting then great but I just wanted to clarify so there is no confusion as to the purpose of the evening by those wishing to attend.​

Yeah I got that too, at least they know we're keen for change!
I think it would be still good to go if you can make it.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
got this rsvp today

"Hi Ben

I am just clarifying with you, the meeting is not about mountain bike riders, it is about the plan of management for the Lane Cove National Park. The plan of management is a legally binding document which sets out the operations for the park.

Thank you

Michele Cooper

Senior Ranger, Neighbour and Community Relations

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service

Department of Environment and Climate Change

PO Box 3031

Asquith NSW 2077

Tel: 9472 8945

Mob: 0419 753 033

Fax: 9457 8265

"The only thing I have to protest with is my body, the only thing I have to give is my time" Quote from a volunteer when asked about her experience and motivation for volunteering with the National Parks.

Make a difference, feel worthwhile and see your results - volunteer!!!"

This is my response

"Respectfully,

We all understand that there are many varied aspects that go into the POM. And understand that the meeting was not set up for mountain biking, We are attending to discuss the mountain bike side of things, as we like everyone else are legitimate members of the community with a legitimate, sustainable recreational pastime with very little access currently and we would like to discuss options for sustainable use of the park in the future.

I’m sure you will get many horse riders, walkers, canoeists etc with requests as well, don’t forget that national parks are trying to increase sustainable visits to our parks. So with mountain biking being sustainable if managed properly, you should be encouraging us to come, from the emails I’ve heard that are being sent out to mountain bikers, it seams we are being discouraged.

Please try and work with the community as we are large user group in national parks, many mountain bikers are also walkers and walkers mountain bikers.

http://www.imba.com/resources/bike_management/index.html

Thanks so much for your time.

If this has come across at all harsh it was not my intention.

Kind Regards,

Ben"

Her response

"Ben,

Thanks for your email and no harshness noted.

Please note – we are advertising a community meeting, all are invited and no-one will not be invited. I never suggested that so please don’t infer.

The correspondence has been mere clarification; someone is telling people out there it is a ‘mountain bike meeting’, how do we know this? from the written emails (from mountain bikers) stating this. We don’t want people to turn up expecting to talk specifically about one issue only and be disappointed and leave angry with NPWS.

I am sure you would agree, it is not appropriate to advertise on behalf of someone else incorrect information – I fail to see how this action would help develop good relations for anyone.

See you next week.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michele Cooper

PO Box 3031

Asquith NSW 2077

My response:

"Hi Michele

Thanks for your email

Yeah I don’t think anyone is advertising anything of that nature its just Chinese whispersJ

I gathered from your clarification email that there was no place for mountain bikers at the meeting, or very little.

Maybe in the clarification email it could be written like”

“Although there no doubt will be discussion about mountain biking in the lane cove NP, the meeting is not just about mountain biking, it is about the entire LCNP POM”

When I received this:

“The meeting is not about mountain bike riders”

I got the impression we where being left out of the picture a little.
Sorry if I reacted a little in the previous email, but it may be a little frustration at the lack of riding areas coming throughJ

Have a great day

Kind Regards,

Ben"

Her Response

"Ben,

Thank you for the communication, appreciated.

I take into account what you have said.

See you next week.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michele Cooper

PO Box 3031

Asquith NSW 2077

Last edited:

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
Yeah I got that too, at least they know we're keen for change!
I think it would be still good to go if you can make it.
I'll be there for sure. I sent it onto others that live in the area, and some that dont, so they should recieve a few mails of the support for change to the parks, Lane Cove in particular.

Just be prepared that the meeting is about chnages the park as a whole and not only for MTB trails. If only.

On a side note, is there any meetings from/for/with HSMBA members, so there can be stategies running in parallel?

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a side note, is there any meetings from/for/with HSMBA members, so there can be stategies running in parallel?
Dont worry, this is all under control. NPWS understand they are not doing enough to cater for mountain bikers and are keen for change too. From what I understand there are certain policies NPWS have and they would need to change them (which is hard to do) to cater for us.

I dont want to say too much (as Im not too sure on the situaition myself) but yes HSMBA has a VERY good relationship with NPWS in the LCNP area.

So if you go to the meeting dont go to put up a fight! Just to show we have interest in the area.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
So if you go to the meeting dont go to put up a fight! Just to show we have interest in the area.
Good point mate, everyone please present yourself well and be on your best behavior.

prob best to leave any important talking to those "in the know".

The number of mtbrs that turn up and thier perception of us will go along way.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
I asked NP about the email they sent out to attendees:

We will be discussing the current plan of the park (you can see this on the website), some options the Department is putting up for the next plan and how all community to make a meaningful response when the plan goes on public exhibition early next year.

Regards,
Michele Cooper
I think it's good we go to the meeting to show support and interest in the process. It will also be good if several of us who frequent LCNP can get to chat amongst ourselves at some stage while there. I'm keen to ask a few others what they think of various bit of trail in there. How they go about making an interesting ride from what is there? drainage issues, all that sideline stuff to. Will be good to meet up.