Not tripping traffic lights

Sappa

Likes Dirt
So what does everyone do when commuting to work and you hit traffic lights that don't change?

I usually just end up running the red.

Even better there is one set of lights that I know so well that I just turn on the red arrow.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Any frame that's not steel won't trigger the light change, so we don't really have too much choice.

For me it depends on the road/intersection as to how I will handle it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Most lights here in SA have bicycle buttons, if its just a left turn and its a dodgy junction i'll take the footpath till the cars clear.

Just before I head down the road to my work there's a wide crossroads with a freight train line across it, you either wait for a car to rock up or go... I kinda go around the corner as if im going left then ride across the pedestrian route and back onto the road.

If there's no button and nobody sees you, was the light actually red ;)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Any frame that's not steel won't trigger the light change, so we don't really have too much choice.
Frames don't have to be steel to trigger the inductor loop, any metal will do the job. Some inductors are less sensitive than others; if you have a particularly troublesome one, ring up your state roads authority (you can usually find a trouble-reporting phone number on the signal control box beside the intersection) and report the inductor as faulty. They are supposed to detect all vehicles, and bikes are legally defined as vehicles.

To assist triggering the sensor, ride along any of the lengthwise lines in the road and weave across it to ensure it detects you. It can sometimes help to lean the bike over so the spokes pass a bit closer to it, but this generally isn't necessary. Even on my carbon-framed, carbon-rimmed roadie I can trigger most sensors in this manner, as the steel spokes are detected. My alloy-framed & rimmed commuter also triggers without problems.

stirk

Burner
I will admit when I was 19 I got off my motorbike and pushed the pedestrian walk button to get the lights to change. :behind sofa:

takai

Eats Squid
I have one near work that fails to trigger outside of normal hours, and i leave work at 9:30pm on a Wednesday. Simple solution, ride over to the pedestrian crossing, hit that button, ride back to bike lane.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What if you ride on flats?

Inductor what? I've had motor bikes not trip the crossing thing - what does it rely on to work?
Small trenches are cut into the road surface, located where a car would stop if the light were red. Inside these trenches wires are laid. A current is fed through these wires, generating a magnetic field. Any metal inside the magnetic field causes changes to the magnetic field that electronic circuitry can detect, and tell the light controller to change.

These electronics are in a road side cabinet with a reference number and a phone number to call in case of fault.

It is tricky to sense a car at >1 ton and 400 grams of stainless spokes. Older electronics, or ones not calibrated correctly, won't detect our bikes.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I think I'll start calling VicRoads on the signal fault line whenever I find a sensor that won't work on my bike. I really don't think they will care or take action as they view bikes as a pest.
Ironically they have a beautiful painted off-road bike path running right out the front of their Kew head office. But it seems to be a very symbolic bike lane as it just ends at the border of their property. Probably cost us $10m. But I think it is representative of all of Melbourne's bike lanes that also go nowhere.

Sappa

Likes Dirt
I have tried stopping with the wheel over the sensor channel.
But you may be right and I have to keep crossing the electromagnetic field. That would change current.

Minlak

custom titis
Learn to track stand...... The lights will change as soon as you loose balance and put a foot down.

gregb

Likes Dirt
Centre line of the inductor loop usually has two wires, they loop off left and right for the two squares. I roll pedal down up that line.Seems to trigger ok, even with a carbon roadie.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
I think I'll start calling VicRoads on the signal fault line whenever I find a sensor that won't work on my bike. I really don't think they will care or take action as they view bikes as a pest.
Ironically they have a beautiful painted off-road bike path running right out the front of their Kew head office. But it seems to be a very symbolic bike lane as it just ends at the border of their property. Probably cost us $10m. But I think it is representative of all of Melbourne's bike lanes that also go nowhere.
They extended it about 6 months added about another 80m!. It now go near our house. The amount of night roads works to paint such a short amount of pavement was unbelievable. Can see where their budget goes....

Last edited: