NPWS fences off trails south of Heathcote Oval

Slowman

Likes Dirt
On the old maps I had of trails in the park these were 4wd trails and while overgrown in spots down to single track the trail running south parallel to the rail lines was fire road width in most parts. The main trail went south and then down along Goondera Brook to where there is a dam which I believe was used as a water reservoir for the steam engines back in the day.

The whole area has been fenced off, neither walkers, runners, MTBers or anyone can access it any longer. Apparently the broad headed snake, an endangered species, has been found there, so basically this is for habitat protection. There is a max fine of $110,000 and 2 years gaol if caught damaging the area, and something like $10,000 just for trespassing if I recall. I was a little surprised at the stiffness of such penalties...even one of the local crickets clubs (Grays Point) has issued warnings in its minutes not to climb the fence to retrieve any lost balls.

Does anyone have any information on the history of this dam/reservoir?

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
It's great that land managers are recognising the importance of saving crucial habitats for endangered animals and plants. It is however unfortunate that the land needs to be closed to the general public, but this seemingly drastic measure ensures best-practice management for the species at risk.

I grew up riding those trails via Grays Point and it's sad to see them go. But I'd rather have crucial areas conserved for our unique native animals than ride my bike through them. At least we've still got plenty of tracks to the north of the Heathcote ovals.

Props to NPWS.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Without having seen the information on which this decision was based I am a little less reluctant to share your enthusiasm for such actions. Given what I believe is some historical significance of the trail and dam in question I am not so sure the right balance has been achieved.

Some of the illegal single tracks could have been fenced off specifically and this trail left open. There is political pressure from DEC for NPWS to open up more space for recreation and tourism and it would seem that NPWS are possibly using such processes to frustrate such policy directions.

I too have grown up in the area and been a park user for over 40 years. On the whole not a lot has changed, some newer picnic sheds here and there, some soil erosion occurs but it just seems to shift back and forth from one side of the trail to the other in a cyclic pattern, just like siltation patterns in the streams which are flushed out in cycles according to weather patterns. The most drastic changes have been due to bushfires and even then the bush regenerates and vegetation density is more or less the same for as long as I can remember. So I have my doubts about whether it was entirely necessary.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Without having seen the information on which this decision was based I am a little less reluctant to share your enthusiasm for such actions. Given what I believe is some historical significance of the trail and dam in question I am not so sure the right balance has been achieved.

Some of the illegal single tracks could have been fenced off specifically and this trail left open. There is political pressure from DEC for NPWS to open up more space for recreation and tourism and it would seem that NPWS are possibly using such processes to frustrate such policy directions.

I too have grown up in the area and been a park user for over 40 years. On the whole not a lot has changed, some newer picnic sheds here and there, some soil erosion occurs but it just seems to shift back and forth from one side of the trail to the other in a cyclic pattern, just like siltation patterns in the streams which are flushed out in cycles according to weather patterns. The most drastic changes have been due to bushfires and even then the bush regenerates and vegetation density is more or less the same for as long as I can remember. So I have my doubts about whether it was entirely necessary.
As it turns out, the broadheaded snake has never been seen in this area. The area was identified as “potential habitat” for the snake, along with other areas in the Sydney basin. Doesn’t sound like best science just politics. Just the usual policy of shutting down access. I’ll find the link to the map.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Yes the Roman trail is rideable but the trails down to the dam are overgrown and impassable unless you get down on your hands and knees. Which I did to see if it was just a short section but I gave up after 30m. If I recall the latest POM detailed the areas identified as potential habitat.