NS Eccentric build

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
This bike has taken me almost 10 months to build and the only thing left is a dropper and some pedals. I am absolutely stoked with how it rides (at least around the streets and jumping off curbs) and plan to hit the Youies this afternoon for a rally. The best part of this is I have no idea "how" it should feel as I've not ridden a real MTB for years though all I can say is I feel really comfortable on it already. It feels like I sit "in" the bike, not perched "on" the bike... I'll play with stem height, and fork pressures a little this afternoon and keep playing until I need a new bike:)

The steerer tube is still on the long side though will trim it down when I find that sweet spot. I also need to trim the brake and shifter cables a little more though not today.

Thanks to everyone who offered parts, help and advice through the process, it's been much appreciated.

The build;
Frame - NS Eccentric, Blk L
Fork - Pike DPA 150mm
Wheel set - Hope Enduro tech 650b
Brakes - Shimano Saint
Headset - Hope
Crank & BB - M8000 34/24 (may get a FD depending on my legs)
RD - M8000 med cage
Shifter - M9000 bar mount
Cassette - M8000 11-42
Stem - Spike Bearclaw 50mm
Handlebars - Spike Bearclaw 777mm
Rotors - shimano icetech thingys (203F & 180R)
Saddle - Ragley
Chain Guide - MRP 2x
Tyres - Schwalbe Hans Dampf
Pedals - old crappy ones laying around (for now)

All built and ready to rock (matchy matchy with my son's):

Cockpit:

In the wild:

Last edited:
Nice looking rig.
In the large is that a 19" frame? Like it a lot.
And a quality build too.
I saw in your other thread you were looking at a BFe as a possible option. Was it a price decision in the end?
BFe's are great frames but I just wish they had an XL. I'm 6'3" and it just gets hard after doing any sort of distance.
Love mine but it's going to the oldest son very soon. Could well end up with the best HT in the school bike racks.

I have the same stem on my FS, I couldn't get my spacers to sit properly on top of it when I tried dropping my bars. Wouldn't square up.
Have you got anything special there or am I just a noob?
cheers

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Nice

Sweet looking build there. I've been swapping between the duelly and my eccentric and can't get over how capable this hard tail is. Sort of wish I got the black instead of the the white and blue but already have a stealth bike.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Nice looking rig.
In the large is that a 19" frame? Like it a lot.
I'm not entirely sure. I have a 19 in the GT I'm currently riding and this bike feels a bit bigger, in a good way. I'm 6'2" and ~97 Kg's nude. If you're in Melbourne you're welcome to take it for a spin. (Just saw you're in WA... might make it hard to test ride)

And a quality build too.
Thanks. My plan all along has been to future proof my bike options. If this frame didn't work out I thought I'd upgrade the frame and transfer the bits and bobs.

I saw in your other thread you were looking at a BFe as a possible option. Was it a price decision in the end?
BFe's are great frames but I just wish they had an XL. I'm 6'3" and it just gets hard after doing any sort of distance.
Love mine but it's going to the oldest son very soon. Could well end up with the best HT in the school bike racks.
I researched sizes and geometries for all the frames I was looking at and found the Eccentric seemed to hit all the numbers I thought I'd like, which is odd given I had absolutely no idea what numbers I'd like:) I was worried the reach might be a little short though I feel really comfortable as it is and I seem to have hit the mark because this thing is so playful and fun to ride. I didn't make it to the Youies today, instead I rode the creek bed behind my house. There are a few really short really steep climbs (~8m high and steep for me) which I struggle to get up on my 3x10 GT and today I blasted straight up the climbs... I put some of it down to being super stoked and the new bike being much lighter than the old one.

I have the same stem on my FS, I couldn't get my spacers to sit properly on top of it when I tried dropping my bars. Wouldn't square up.
Have you got anything special there or am I just a noob?
cheers
I found the Hope spacers fit better than the supplied spacer. Plus the spank spacer was black...

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Sweet looking build there. I've been swapping between the duelly and my eccentric and can't get over how capable this hard tail is. Sort of wish I got the black instead of the the white and blue but already have a stealth bike.
I was planning to have a lot more orange throughout though my wife planted the seed of doubt so I've kept the colour palate pretty mellow. I had plans for custom decals and frame spray/powder coat but sidelined them until I figured out if I liked the frame or not... Now that I like the frame I might look at powder coating it:)

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
Your build

Hey mate,

I just built up my green frame last night but ran into an issue; when the 142x12 axle is fully tightened, there is still a small amount of play in the rear wheel because the axle isn't able to squeeze tightly enough before it is fully inserted into the threaded end cap. I've put a washer between the end cap and dropout to allow further tightening but it's not right that I had this issue. Was there a washer of any sort included with your axle? Any similar issues? Thanks in advance.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Hey mate,

I just built up my green frame last night but ran into an issue; when the 142x12 axle is fully tightened, there is still a small amount of play in the rear wheel because the axle isn't able to squeeze tightly enough before it is fully inserted into the threaded end cap. I've put a washer between the end cap and dropout to allow further tightening but it's not right that I had this issue. Was there a washer of any sort included with your axle? Any similar issues? Thanks in advance.
Check the rear spacing between the drops. The Eccentric has had a few issues with the spacing being all over the shop, quite a few were getting 135mm with the 142mm drops fitted.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

Gday mate,

I really like the green frame and am excited to see pics of your build when finsihed. I bought the Hope hubs and when I put the rear wheel in there was way too much slop. SO much in fact I sat there for a few minutes wondering what I'd done wrong. I measured the space and came up with 142 and then realised I had the wrong adapters on the hope hubs. After I took the 135 adapters off and fitted the 142's the wheel slots in perfectly...

To answer your question, no washer provided, nor needed.

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
Check the rear spacing between the drops. The Eccentric has had a few issues with the spacing being all over the shop, quite a few were getting 135mm with the 142mm drops fitted.
Thanks. The spacing is good but the axle is either too long or not threaded enough to fully tighten.I've solved the problem with the addition of a washer but wondered if there was another solution.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thanks. The spacing is good but the axle is either too long or not threaded enough to fully tighten.I've solved the problem with the addition of a washer but wondered if there was another solution.
Then as Manuel suggested, double check your hub adapters, they look the same, just 7mm difference on the drive side. How much play do you have? you shouldnt really need to pull the stays in with the axle, the hub should be a close fit, sans axle.

Edit: What frame do you have? There are 2 axle lengths, 168mm for the CroMo and a 171mm for the aluminimum frame. Does 3mm sound about right for the play? You may have recieved the longer axle for the wrong frame.

Last edited:

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
Then as Manuel suggested, double check your hub adapters, they look the same, just 7mm difference on the drive side. How much play do you have? you shouldnt really need to pull the stays in with the axle, the hub should be a close fit, sans axle.

Edit: What frame do you have? There are 2 axle lengths, 168mm for the CroMo and a 171mm for the aluminimum frame. Does 3mm sound about right for the play? You may have recieved the longer axle for the wrong frame.
That would make sense. I have the 2016 cromo frame. I tried three different wheels with the same result ... I'd guess less than 3mm play - more like 1mm - just enough to make the wheel feel the the hub bearings are shot when you grab the back tyre and rock it side to side. An overly long axle is what it is as the hub/dropout spacing is correct.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
That would make sense. I have the 2016 cromo frame. I tried three different wheels with the same result ... I'd guess less than 3mm play - more like 1mm - just enough to make the wheel feel the the hub bearings are shot when you grab the back tyre and rock it side to side. An overly long axle is what it is as the hub/dropout spacing is correct.
Sounds like you have the Alloy axle, measure it up, and if its longer than 168mm get them to ship out a replacement.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
That looks rad mate. I really like the green.

I went for a spin at the Youies the other day and had an absolute blast. I have nothing really to compare against though I'll say this bike makes me giggle. Every run is just so much fun and will become even moreso next week when I fit the command IRCC post...

Where are you located? just saw you're in Sydney.

I was going to suggest a Eccentric day of happiness...

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
That looks rad mate. I really like the green.

I went for a spin at the Youies the other day and had an absolute blast. I have nothing really to compare against though I'll say this bike makes me giggle. Every run is just so much fun and will become even moreso next week when I fit the command IRCC post...

Where are you located? just saw you're in Sydney.

I was going to suggest a Eccentric day of happiness...
Hey Miguel, I'm in the process of building up my '16 eccentric. Hopefully a couple of weeks away. I'm in Melbourne. Happy to catch up for a day at the Youis for some Eccentric happiness.