[NSW] Commutin' from Inner West (Leichhardt) to City via Lane Cove

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Does anyone do this route?

Google Maps suggests I go along Victoria Rd thru Hunters Hill and along Burns Bay Rd up to Lane Cove, but these roads look seriously unfriendly for bikes. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance
Phil
Used to drive along victoria rd to get to Meadow bank. I dont recall it being very safe for bikes. Most Sydney streets are not. I commute to work from the south. I recomend taking a route that avoids traffic, e.g.ridingthe backs streets where cycle paths are not available where possible to avoid traffic.:decision:

From the Map Its seems a more direct route would be backs streets of annandale gleble etc. I am not a local so cant advise from experieince. Also try and do a test ride of a route early in the morning on a weekend when there is not much traffic around.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Victoria rd is more bike friendly since the bridge improvements. I'd suggest going around the other side of Callan park, either doing the bay run or meeting up on Lyons rd and then connecting to victoria rd. Following vic rd to Lane Cove and then coming back the way you came. All the way down vic rd, over the Anzac Bridge and into the city.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'll ask the silly question first ... why the long way ... presume you want to triple your ks for training or some such, with a bit of hill-fest thrown in

more practical comments.
You likely know this ... but from your start point ... ride through hawthorne canal and dog poo park ... aiming for the bay run ... past La Montage ... and heading to iron cove bridge ... nicer ride all bike path. (alternatively if climbing is what you want ... then lilyfield road ... along mary to the pool and onto the bay run at the rowing club)

After the bridge, its all foot path ... or ... take renwick street ... should be less traffic ... until lyons rd ... from there is foot path until past hunters hill (not sure what happens with the interchange around there I think a bit of street hoping).

Not sure what happens then ... not sure I'd want to ride up burns bay road in peak hour ... but the right hand foot path is prolly more continuous ... although narrow especially if there are pedestrians.

Where you turn off to Penrose ... I'd prolly keep going to Epping Road via centennial... and then take the cycleway which I think takes you all the way to the bridge (sorry I haven't ridden all of this cycleway).

If your aim is to annoy all those happy people in cars heading to work ... then that Penrose turn off is prolly on the money ... hilly, and two lanes ... with one lane sections

*edit: just noticed manly vale on your location ...

Just incase you didn't know ... the quick commute from your start point is
- head to lilyfield road ... I'd go all the way down flood, then darley, up the hill to lilyfield road (you'll see bicycle garage).
- follow lilyfield road to victoria rd ... take the pedestrian overpass ... then cross Anzac bridge ... past channel Ten ... then Pyrmont bridge ... follow the cattle to King street ... up king to Elizabeth and your pretty much there.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies so far.

@nerf herder is right, the silly question is the right question.

I want to try this route to log the extra km's and climbing. I've only recently moved to Leiccy from Manly Vale and already take the suggested route along Lilyfield Rd/Anzac Bridge. I miss my commute over The Spit and am after something similar to keep the blood pumping.

I am planning on hooking up the Bay Run but Google won't let me plot that along it.

I guess a recky ride is the way early on the weekend.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
cool ... the path you picked is pretty much on the money for what you want ... but the road bit is the challenge ... I guess depends on the time of day ... but you'll likely get several dicks on agro pills on your case. I'm sure your use to all that. Good luck with it you masochist you :p

I'm in Lilyfield if you ever want to hook up for a pedal ... a few farkers / RB'ers in the area actually

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
You could also head west through to Concord then across the river and back through Putney, Tennyson & Gladseville. No long climbs but quite a few short and steep ones.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Or go the other way. Ride to Cooks River, get on the cycle path. End up at the airport. Ride from the airport to the CBD.

Once Bourke St cycle way is finished, this should be good. I'm a bit hazy on the exact route from the airport to the CBD, but at a good deal of the ride would be cycle path.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Or go the other way. Ride to Cooks River, get on the cycle path. End up at the airport. Ride from the airport to the CBD.

Once Bourke St cycle way is finished, this should be good. I'm a bit hazy on the exact route from the airport to the CBD, but at a good deal of the ride would be cycle path.
True, but very flat.

jay.jay

Likes Bikes
But long, safe and low stress/pollution. You could always set up a light generator on a wheel for extra drag. Or drag a parachute. Or do it on a BMX or unicycle. Lots of choices :)
Bourke St cycle way isn't safe, I would ride alternate roads to avoid it.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
philberesford said:
I am planning on hooking up the Bay Run but Google won't let me plot that along it.
Switch to walking mode and it does.

Cypher said:
Cooks River path is only worth it very early in the morning, or on a sunny arvo at a slow pace when drunk. Other than that you are too busy dodging runners and locals walking their dog for any worthwhile km.

A solid commute from A to B: go Flood St, over P'sham to Sydenham Rd, short blast South on the Hwy and hang a left at the cycle crossing before the river, along the Airport Drive bike path and then though to Coward, along Coward until hanging a right onto Botany Rd, follow that all the way to Bunnerong, then around La Perouse, and then smash up Anzac Pde back into town.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Have been doing this ride now for the last few weeks to and from the City. It's pretty good, I'd say 85% of it is on cycle lane or dedicated cycleway. How good is the cycleway along Epping Road! - I'm very impressed that I can get from Crows Nest to Lane Cove with only a single set of lights in between. All up its 23km each way with 300m of climbing. So I'm happy with a 46km/600m roundtrip end day. Works for me. I also have found some 'hills' near by for a few repeats at the end too. :clap2: Now I have that nice quad burn so it must be working right? :)

Last edited: