NSW - Mobile Speed Cameras

scuba05

Likes Dirt
so iv heard that they will be using white ford territory's as the vehicles with the words "speed check vehicle" written on the side for this revenue raising mission. Anyone confirm this? As well as that the vehicles will be moving positions every 3hrs?

Also, http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/mobile-speed-cameras-are-back-20100328-r596.html, first month will be a grace period. If you get caught, you will receive a letter in the mail telling you your a very bad boy/girl, with no fine. I guess the government can wait this one month before they empty all our wallets.

Yes, it is easy to say "Speeding is bad. Dont do it," but as many have said, it is not feasable to look at your speedo constantly.
I would say a portion of people who do speed a bit may not even realise, and then bang, government gets more of your money. It is the people who knowingly and willingly sit 10-20+ over the limit that is the main worry.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
If your caught speeding, your guilty of breaking the law, not innocent.

That this law is interpreted as black or white is part of the problem. Police should be on the roads using their discretion to penalise actual reckless behaviour. A few kays over on a clear day on a country road vs a few kays over during a snow storm in a CBD, these are 2 different types of behaviour but are treated the same in the eyes of these cameras and the people that operate them. We are perfectly capable of knowing what is safe and comfortable for us. (I am not talking about driving foot to the floor everywhere, I am talking getting from A to B as efficiently as possible.)

The basic premise of what I'm saying is that we as a society are quickly giving away our freedom to make choices. We are becoming a spoon fed society, the government thinks we are too stupid to make our own decisions. This goes for more than road laws too.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Man this truly shits me Hard. FUCK OFF and DIE self-righteous morons. This is NOT the right way to save lives.

The Twits are multiplying and ruining this country.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
the bitching in here is laughable. Slow down and you wont get booked. Break the law by speeding and there's a better chance you will. "Oh, but all these old ladies will now get booked"/any other bad arguement: YOU"RE BREAKING THE LAW.

If the infringement was under 10km/hr and you have a clean record, apply for a warning. If you dont have a clean record, or you were speeding more than 10kh/hr, cop it on the chin.

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
While I am against them, from what I saw on the news last night, and what has been mentioned on here, the mobile cameras aremost likely going to be late model falcons/territories/commodores and have the camera on the roof, as well as possibly badged on the side.

So while we get a month to suss em out, theyre probably going to be as obvious as an undercover car (most people pick them, right?).

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
Oh yeah i know the ones, similar to the current speed camera hwy patrols with the massive fuck off light on the top! Haha so inconspicuous, how will I ever pick that 2000w light hanging off the roof racks :)
A 4wd like the one the boys go shooting in would get ya!

Middo

Likes Bikes
I'm not a fan of the ever increasing rules and penalties, but then I've even less impressed with a lot of the idiots on the roads out there.

To look at it from the other side - how do you propose reducing the road toll? The government has to do something, otherwise we'd all be accusing them of inaction/ineptitude. Raise speed limits? - with more people on the roads than ever before - many can't even drive safely at the moment. Retrain and re-test everyone to a higher standard? Not politically acceptable. More visible police presence? I like this, but it means stretching police human resources even further (+ cost) and take them away from more important issues, while not getting as much revenue back. It has to be something easy to enforce (quantitative, not qualitative), otherwise everyone who's booked will try and weasel out of it. People just slow down for fixed cameras - hey, c'mon, we all do it. So mobile cameras it is.

The next time you see someone doing something stupid on the roads, or even if you get pinged because you weren't paying enough attention, get angry at that, because ultimately that's what created the issue.

I do think that the message to speed kills is a gross over-simplification, and that the goal of a zero road fatality policy is fundamentally flawed and un-achievable though.

willsy01

Eats Squid
the bitching in here is laughable. Slow down and you wont get booked. Break the law by speeding and there's a better chance you will. "Oh, but all these old ladies will now get booked"/any other bad arguement: YOU"RE BREAKING THE LAW.

If the infringement was under 10km/hr and you have a clean record, apply for a warning. If you dont have a clean record, or you were speeding more than 10kh/hr, cop it on the chin.
I see you've been brainwashed.....unfortunate.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci

Do you ever ride your bike where it's illegal, for reasons that you know are wrong, and are just a blanket law to cover all basses? Or are you the "yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" guy right down the middle? Polloticians make the easiest decisions, not the ones that cover everyone. The whole speeding problem is mainly because of young idiots on our roads, pay the money and fix this problem, raise our taxes if needed to do so.

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
The whole speeding problem is mainly because of young idiots on our roads, pay the money and fix this problem, raise our taxes if needed to do so.
Yeah It's all the P platers faults..

Did you even read Tomas' post?

You break the law, you gotta deal with the consequences. Nobody likes it, but wait, because you dont agree with the law or think you're above it then it doesnt matter to you? Idiot.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Guess what? Driving involves constantly checking your speed, not just following the road from A to B.

The road toll in QLD and Victoria had dropped y around 25% since the introduction of covert speed cameras last year- currently Queensland's 2010 toll is 63 deaths lower than the same time last year according to The Courier Mail.

No Skid Marks

Guess what? Driving involves constantly checking your speed, not just following the road from A to B.

The road toll in QLD and Victoria had dropped y around 25% since the introduction of covert speed cameras last year- currently Queensland's 2010 toll is 63 deaths lower than the same time last year according to The Courier Mail.
Well now, there's a valid argument. Better than the do as your told, get back in line, if the blanket law made to govern the masses isn't apropriate for you and you object your an idiot because the poloticians do everything right.
Still doesn't mean that it's not becasue P platers are scared of loosing their licenses, and better driver training and harsher laws would have a similer result.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I see you've been brainwashed.....unfortunate.
Do you ever ride your bike where it's illegal, for reasons that you know are wrong, and are just a blanket law to cover all basses? Or are you the "yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" guy right down the middle? Polloticians make the easiest decisions, not the ones that cover everyone. The whole speeding problem is mainly because of young idiots on our roads, pay the money and fix this problem, raise our taxes if needed to do so.
There is so much wrong with that post it's not funny. SPEEDING IS BREAKING THE LAW. This thread is not about lowering speed limits, it's about catching speeders. Following your theory, this will be a perfect solution, catching those "young idiots" and leaving us responsible, older drivers to reap the financial rewards of an extra $138million in state revenue.

What do they call it? Fundamental attribution error. People attribute their own behaviour to external causes, but displays of poor form by others to internal forces.

"i'm a good driver, i speed but I do it to the conditions, responsibly"
"young dickhead p-platers are the issue, no common sense, just dickheads".

This thread epitomizes Australian driving arrogance.

No Skid Marks

There is so much wrong with that post it's not funny. SPEEDING IS BREAKING THE LAW. This thread is not about lowering speed limits, it's about catching speeders. Following your theory, this will be a perfect solution, catching those "young idiots" and leaving us responsible, older drivers to reap the financial rewards of an extra $138million in state revenue.

What do they call it? Fundamental attribution error. People attribute their own behaviour to external causes, but displays of poor form by others to internal forces.

I'm sure if you tested most drivers over the age of 30, that they would mostly be quite capable of driving at 10km/h over the limits safely. Moreso, if you tested and left it to their own judgement, I think you'd find most would only do it when totally safe.
Yes it leaves it up to skilled drivers judgement, but so does when to pull out at an intersection.
If the concern was to stop speeding, a satalite controlled speed limiter installed in every modern car would be inexpensive. It could have an overide switch for emergencys that notified thepolice of it's use.

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I'm sure if you tested drivers over the age of 30, they'd be capable of driving SAFER with SHORTER STOPPING DISTANCES and MORE CONTROL at the speed limit, rather than over it.

Safe driving isn't binary, you're not 'safe' or 'not safe'. The faster you drive, the more danger you pose to other people and yourself. The government mandates a speed limit balancing time efficiency and safety.

No Skid Marks

The government mandates a speed limit balancing time efficiency and safety.
based on poor drivers, that could be trained better, and then weeded out with the current anti speeding measures.
On another note, is peoples liberties worth the cost of safety? I'd rather run the gauntlet and have more liberties myself. It's a profitable band aid soloution to bigger problems I think.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Victoria's road toll is UP 6%

Yes, "speeding" is breaking the law. I'm not disagreeing with that. The problem I have is the government's attitude to policing the problem. It's about modifying driver's behaviour and fixed/covert cameras are not the answer. What good does getting a ticket three weeks after you've committed such a heinous offence as to drift above the speed limit a few clicks do? None whatsoever.

Nothing hits harder than sitting on the side of the road with a highway car behind you lit up like a christmas tree and a cop at your window reading you the riot act. Everyone driving past sees it too.......it's a reminder. The highway patrol car can't book as many people in an hour as a fixed camera though so of course Gov Co. aren't going to go for it. I'd love to know what the $170 million they're spending on these new mobile cameras could've bought in terms of officers in highway cars.

I just despise the way in which the whole situation is handled. The out and out lying......the bending of statistics to justify the government's actions (if you believe the "stats" that are spat out of Monash Uni, you're a moron), the pathetic advertisements on TV, the way the system is geared for an individual to fail if they feel they've been fined incorrectly. It's just crap......

I'm not claiming to be some sort of angel on the road......i've had 2 low range speeding fines in my 12 years on the road. 10 over whilst on my Ps (which scared the bejesus out of me) and 8 over on Xmas eve 2004 on a road that had it's limit dropped earlier in the week. In the eyes of the public, i'm a baby killing hoon. I drive a bright yellow WRX. I'm used to the stigma that's attached to it. I know i'm going to be targeted based solely on the type of car I drive and the fact it sticks out like dogs balls because of the colour.

I'm just fed up with it.....

placebo

Likes Dirt
The new variance/tolerance (which is tipped as being the same as in Victoria) combined with the harder to see mobile cameras means you'll get an infringement at 64 km/h in a 60 km/h zone. It would seem to me there's a reason the state government has budgeted over 100 million coming from this, with Macquarie Bank wanting a slice of the action, and it's not road safety.

What gets me is all these people who say "I got caught speeding, but it was on an open road that was deserted so I wasn't harming the general public." That's not an excuse. You hit a tree, you become a statistic it's just that the toll is raised by one, not more. People need to wake up and smell the coffee. If you don't speed and drive safely, why be worried about extra cameras? Yes, maybe speed doesn't always cause crashes but it certainly effects the outcome of one. If people say that non compliance with the speed limit is fine because nothing will stop a crash in those conditions, so be it. But if and when that crash happens, if a car is going 70km instead of 80km, it could well save a life. Driver skill does come into it but that only affects whether a crash will happen or not, speed is what will ultimately save the lives.

Say you had a five year old playing in a car. They have no concept of what driving is and when they fiddle with the hand brake and it disengages they roll down their driveway and into the front fence. They kill the fence and dent the car but are otherwise unscathed. They crashed because they weren't a skilled driver capable of handling the car in that instance. Put another five year old in the same situation however put the car on top of a big hill. The car is going at 60km/h when it hits a tree on the side of the road. Again, the crash is caused by driver incompetence but in this case, the un-restrained toddler is severely injured because of the speed.

Admittedly, it's a terrible analogy, but the principal is the same. It is speed that kills, not incompetence.

Its the same with riding. Put someone who has never ridden off road on a DH track and they will crash. They will be going slow so wont crash as hard. Put a world cup rider on the same track and they crash, albeit at a much faster pace. Instead of a graze they get a broken femur and a concussion.

Crashes will always happen, you can never alleviate the variables that cause one. Slowing down the speed may not eradicate these variables, but it will diminish them and reduce the severity of a crash when it does happen.

If these new cameras stop speeding drivers, then put them out there. If a driver continues to speed because they have see no real consequences by only receiving a fine and a letter, I hope you have deep pockets, car and life insurance, and that you're not on the road near me.