NSW School Zones - Recently Sprayed Triangles?

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
So recently I was rerouted by council workers respraying the road, and when I was looking at what they were spraying they were arrows proceeding the big yellow '40' on the road. I'm curious as to what this is meant to communicate.

EDIT: Found an RTA article about it. I'll leave it just HERE for others to read about.

Last edited:

Reece.

Likes Dirt
So recently I was rerouted by council workers respraying the road, and when I was looking at what they were spraying they were arrows proceeding the big yellow '40' on the road. I'm curious as to what this is meant to communicate.
Id imagine the arrows are just another way to alert you to the fact that its a school zone, and the 40 would be the speed.
My 2.58483c :)

floody

Wheel size expert
I'm not sure you should be on the road.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure you should be on the road.
Well, rather then ridiculing me off being a danger on the road, why not explain to me what these markings mean. I have not once come across these triangles. If you misinterpreted my original post and thought I was unsure of what the 40 marking meant then sure, vilify me for being a menace on the road. My reason for asking is purely from a safety perspective.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I swear I was going to get a ticket in the mail. A red light/Speed camera in a school zone (Couple of minutes past 8), first day back of school.

Does anybody know the allowance of the fixed cameras? Im thinking 3 km/h over is iffy while 4 km/h is definitely over. Ive had a friend try to convince me it was 10%...

Matt H

Eats Squid
I swear I was going to get a ticket in the mail. A red light/Speed camera in a school zone (Couple of minutes past 8), first day back of school.

Does anybody know the allowance of the fixed cameras? Im thinking 3 km/h over is iffy while 4 km/h is definitely over. Ive had a friend try to convince me it was 10%...
I think it it 10%, but I have heard that a knew type of speed camera has been introduced that is far more accurate and doesn't allow for the 10% difference.

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
I've never seen 'dragon teeth' but having just looked at the link I think its a f**king wank.

Why dont the rta actually give a shit about school kids and put up big yellow signs with flashing lights!

Aaaagh the rta can never do anything right- end of rant

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it it 10%, but I have heard that a knew type of speed camera has been introduced that is far more accurate and doesn't allow for the 10% difference.
Well the reason dont think it is 10% is say if your doing 100, I know for sure doing 110 will get you in trouble there

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've never seen 'dragon teeth' but having just looked at the link I think its a f**king wank.

Why dont the rta actually give a shit about school kids and put up big yellow signs with flashing lights!

Aaaagh the rta can never do anything right- end of rant
You mean like these ones?

nskz

Likes Dirt
I think the illuminated school zone signs are the solution to the problem. Most of the school zones here in Wollongong have them now and during school zone times the flash insanely bright LED's at you. If you miss one of those and get a fine, or worse hit a kid you deserve everything you get imo.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
I would like to see figures on how much the 40 zones have actually reduced incidents since they have been introduced, 40 in front of a primary school is fair enough but 40 at a high school? Cmon we need to stop babying people.

floody

Wheel size expert
Well, rather then ridiculing me off being a danger on the road, why not explain to me what these markings mean. I have not once come across these triangles. If you misinterpreted my original post and thought I was unsure of what the 40 marking meant then sure, vilify me for being a menace on the road. My reason for asking is purely from a safety perspective.
What else is a big bloody number on the road going to mean, if not a speed limit? Seriously? Its commonsense.

'Initiatives' like this get 'initiated' all the time. Generally, like this one, they are smack-in-the-face obvious as to their meaning.

Could the money be better spent? perhaps. Is it likely to be a negative safety outcome? I really can't see how it could.

Thrust of the idea would seem to be to make it blindingly obvious where school zones are for two classes of people; Those with such diminished powers of observation that they struggle to heed the school zone signage, and in longer school zones, those who have the attention span and patience of an ADHD toddler.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Perhaps the triangles are designed to help constantly remind people they are in a school zone after they have passed the '40' sign. Some school zones are quite long and I know of at least 2 in Albury that are on the highway.