NSW State Champs

tabmow

Squid
Does anyone have any info on the XCO/short course tracks to be used for the upcoming NSW State Champs and if it can be riden before race day?

jamies00

Cannon Fodder
Southern Highlands NSW

They are going to be held on the last weekend of october in the Southern Highlands.
The xc is in Fitzroy Falls and the short course is in Bowral. Im not sure if they can be ridden the day before.

OFB

Likes Bikes
thanks for those details.

however, i was wondering if anyone knew if the tracks were open before the race days for practice. Say if the tracks are open for practice on friday i might head down on friday but if not I'll head down saturday morning

thanks for your help

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
It's... interesting. Not rough per-se but pretty technical - steep pinches (some up ramps) and tricky rolldowns with not a huge number of places to pass.

Think the Garmin link is here

About 3km in a small area - think tight and twisty...

*not cross smooth though :)*

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Please note there will be 2 locations:
1. Saturday - the short course (XCC) will be held at the Bong Bong Race Course - yes the same location as the GGs. As far as being able to be ridden the day before - will try and confirm this asap. The track is on private land.

2. Sunday - XCO - cross country will be held at the McGee's property "Twin Falls", Fitzroy Falls. The track has some technical elements as described but will also be extended for the state champs. It will be mostly as described on the garmin link and will be in the vicinity of 7kms length. As far as accessibility on the Saturday - again will confirm.

Locations.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Here's the flyer.. should be cracker of a weekend.

Can anyone beat Carlso...
Keep the entries coming in - the website has been updated with all details.

Thanks to The Bike Shop at Mortdale (TBSM) who will be providing mechanical service on the days as well as bring some Merida's on display or trial ride. Thanks also to Rock Star who also are supporting the NSW champs! Let's see who can keep up with Josh who now rides with Rock Start Racing!

All level of riders are encouraged to come! There are categories that will suit any level of rider from u13 through to those of us more senior in years. The XCO course at Fitzroy falls should be a cracker as does the Bong Bong XCC track.

Be there!

XC-Ben

Cannon Fodder
How short is short track..?

Hi Peoples first post here I'm new to XC racing, I'd like to know if anyone can turn up on the day and have a go or do you have to have qualafied somewhere?

The short track sounds like an interesting way to start but how short is the short track race, what can i expect on this race

Thanks

Last edited:

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Hi Peoples first post here I'm new to XC racing, I'd like to know if anyone can turn up on the day and have a go or do you have to have qualafied somewhere?

The short track sounds like an interesting way to start but how short is the short track race, what can i expect on this race

Thanks
The short track is an explosive event held over about 800m. It is 30mins of intense lung busting riding with the final decided over the last 2 laps. (Not my cup of tea frankly).

I'd suggest if this is your first race or are newish - the XCO - traditional 6km race with xlaps depedending on your age would be an easier way into the racing scene. Anyone can enter - there's no qualifying rounds as such. Even if you rode at the back of the field in your age group or in the Sports category, you'd have a ball. The XCO course at Fitzroy Falls is definitely a lot of fun. Yes the elites have to ride a pounding race - but doesn't sound like you're up there yet. Everyoine who can ride a bike can enter....... from 12yo-whatever.. enter.

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
Im going to go and give sport a crack. I usually race c grade at club level (with mid field results) so i shouldnt be too far off the pace.

Im really looking forward to being able to watch the pros!

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Im going to go and give sport a crack. I usually race c grade at club level (with mid field results) so i shouldnt be too far off the pace.

Im really looking forward to being able to watch the pros!

Sport will give you about an hour or so riding - 2 laps. If you're up to it some of the other cats will give a 3 lap race: masters 40-49y.

XC-Ben

Cannon Fodder
Mittagongmtb thank you
So SPORT in XC might be a better option then the short track.
think i'll check out the short track anyway (watch) for next time.
see you there.

tabmow

Squid
Looking a bit wet!

Its looking like a wet weekend with a 90% chance of rain on saturday and 80% chance of rain on sunday. Any ideas of how the tracks will handle the rain. Is there any chance the race will be cancelled/postponed?

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
Is there any chance the race will be cancelled/postponed?
I was just about to ask the same question. I'll be doing this as a day trip from the central coast so I need to leave pretty early to get some practice laps in. I'd hate to drive there to find out it's been canceled :)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I would love to see photos of the short course at Bong Bong. Having lived there for twenty years before departing I can safely say that the image I have in my head for any type of bike track around that old donkey racing track is humerous. Surely the track will incorporate teh "hill" in the middle of the track?