NSW State XC Championships

Riderdown

Likes Bikes
This is why the Elite go first. Any snake bite injuries should be considered a Workers comp claim due to their enormous sponsorship deals.:distrust:

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
This is why the Elite go first. Any snake bite injuries should be considered a Workers comp claim due to their enormous sponsorship deals.:distrust:
OMG LOL.

Thanks for nothing just spayed the poor person sitting in front on the bus.

LOL. That's made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
I just rode the the track to day, some fun tie stuff heaps of corners not to much fireroad and the track had hardley any wet spots got no mud on my bike.
A few sort of tricky (for me)old trees to go over, by my garmin 8.5km with 167m of climbing and a good fire road to climb get the heart pumping.
I rode the whole track with out getting off to push GOOD.
Cheers Neil

Delmar

Likes Dirt
A huge thanks to all who had a hand in today. Perfect, just perfect riding weather. Track a genuine mtb track, lots of fun and a bit of tech, some pinchy climbing. No mud at all, a nice change! Bike is dusty!!! I know Pres Matt and I'm sure others did a fair bit of work out there this week- thanks guys it was great.

A shame my legs couldn't do it more justice...:(. Rode some way ahead of several guys for long patches, then on the fire road sections they'd come from 50m back and smoke me... Must stop being so soft about these cold mornings and actually train properly ...

Thanks to all of the organisers! It was a very well put together event and riders turned up in numbers accordingly. The track worked well and was a challenge for all levels of riders. The elite riders seem to be coming back to the Championships as they were 5 years ago.

My only suggestion would be (and this will sound terrible coming from me) that their could be some prize money for the Elite categories which would add to the prestige of the 'Championships' and I know would bring more riders. Having said that the $15 entry was fantastic and everyone was talking about that. I would not expect that money to come from entries, but from the 'sponsors', who didn't appear to actually give anything away (my apologies if they supported the event with assistance on the organisation front).

Thanks again for a great event and I'm looking forward to next year!

Ben

struggles

Likes Dirt
I came out to spectate and got a few photo's. Superbowl looked a bit tougher running it that way. I may have to head out and ride it to see how I go.

Not very good camera photo's

I know Kel and Kev's official photo's will be 2 million times better than these.

I would have thought there would be more entries, it seems the clubs go to a lot of trouble to put these events on(at a good price too) but don't get a lot of takers on the day.

struggles

Likes Dirt
My only suggestion would be (and this will sound terrible coming from me) that their could be some prize money for the Elite categories which would add to the prestige of the 'Championships' and I know would bring more riders. Having said that the $15 entry was fantastic and everyone was talking about that. I would not expect that money to come from entries, but from the 'sponsors', who didn't appear to actually give anything away (my apologies if they supported the event with assistance on the organisation front).

Ben
That may be the key to getting some bigger fields. I know when I started racing back in 1993 that my club at the time always gave out prize money.

Not that I have or ever will be in a position to win any.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Wow, I have ridden down that way many times yet today was the best I have seen the SuperBowl. Many thanks to all who contributed to the track. It was a ripper! It had a few lung busting climbs although you were still able to enjoy the fun stuff when you came across it and there were plenty of these sections. A well organised day and for $15, it doesn't come better. Congrats to all involved! My only thought would be- to run the juniors first at 9am, masters and veterans at 11am and then the elite at 1am. The elite should be the grand final where all stay to watch. Is there a simple answer as to why the elite run at 9am?

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
What a great day.
I came last. But I don't care.
Awesome track.
Thank you so much to all involved

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
Thanks to all of the organisers! It was a very well put together event and riders turned up in numbers accordingly. The track worked well and was a challenge for all levels of riders. The elite riders seem to be coming back to the Championships as they were 5 years ago.

Thanks again for a great event and I'm looking forward to next year!

Ben
Ben - Thanks for bringing this up - I couldn't agree more.
I felt poorly that we didn't have something for you and the Elite podium crew, inc Females of course.

The reality is the NSW Series & Champs has been difficult to get running, for a number of reasons. As a result there is simply no cash available.

Today's race needed aprox 130 riders to break even. This was direct result of the $15 / $10 race fee, of course.
This is after CASH support from Chocolate Foot and AVANTIplus in Wollongong. Without this input of cash we simply would not have been able to operate, so a BIG Thanks to both of them. (I also used about $300 of my own cash to get the event the event up and going). This is also why we had no prises or prise bags - we had to take the cash from the sponsors to make it work.

Of course the SCUM guys and girls worked pretty hard for the last couple of weeks to run the event, all FOC. At the end of the day, they might have been lucky enough to have taken $200 -$400 for the club. (I bet the school made more from the sausages) . *** Im not affiliated with the club***

WHY? ..We took the mindset that we needed to relaunch the event from a ground up approach. This meant we needed race numbers - people out racing, first and foremost. So we tried to remove any barriers to racing including $30 race fees.
(feedback on XC race pricing is welcome people...)

Today was a huge success with about 150 racers.. I think this is the most we've had at NSW State event for four or five years.. so it's a great result AND even though there are a few fast guys and girls currently in Europe, for the worlds, the Elite class was well attended. I think this is key to the events success. Elite riders racing - so not having CASH was a big concern in advance.

If we were able to increase the race entry AND maintain the numbers - we could provide more. We decided the racing had to come first. Cash second.

We are trying to plan a NSW XC series for next year AS WELL AS A CHAMPS -(Planning starts now).. but we will need help.

If any of you can help with any of the following please do:

Firstly - we need riders to come out and race. The calender is currently packed with good racing. A XCO series needs 120 - 180 riders most rounds to work.

Secondly - We need clubs prepared to run the State events (NSW MTB does not have any tracks).

Thirdly - we need sponsors and supporters who are prepared to help out and believe in the MTB community enough to provide cash and or prises.

Fourthly - I'd welcome anybody prepared to assist with the coordination of these events.

Ben, I hope this answers your question and starts some people thinking. Today was indeed awesome. Please accept my apologies for their being no CASH.. . I wish their was as this would indicate a healthy and thriving State XC scene.

Well done again SCUM, AVANTIplus Wollongong, Chocolate Foot and DIYMTB..

Mark
NSW XC Coordinator

Mark, absolutely no need to feel poorly or apologise, its was merely a suggestion rather than an expectation. I certainly don't race for money, but as you agreed, it does encourage the elite riders.

It was a huge success and it was great to read the figures you wrote.

I know how much effort and cash it takes to put those events on so (SCUM, AVANTIplus Wollongong, Chocolate Foot and DIYMTB.) should be commended for their support of mountain biking, particularly after what you mentioned.

If the series will be run as well as today I'm sure it will be a success once more.

Also it's great to see yourself taking on this role as someone who has great experience as a rider, and it's a great example of what the sport needs in terms of riders stepping up to make things happen in the sport.

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
hi 1st up what a great day so well run.and that track WOW so much fun and a ture track for the state champs.as to the part about prize money as a rider who is never going to win i think it would be great to give the winners prize money.but if that means that the entry fee$ 40 goes up then sorry but no.as i had two kids racing and a full tank of fuel $80 for and 6 hours of driving its alot of money now.if the entry fee was $30 or more you would have been down 3 riders.if we get 500 riders then we should give prize money to elite.but lets get the 500+ riders then the money will follow in sponsors and then more riders and so on.thanks again for a great day:single:clap2:

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone for making this a great event.

We had some 160+ riders which makes it the biggest state round since... sorry I don't know when, but it's been many years. While Elite numbers were down, juniors were definitely very strong.

Aside from the couple of injuries everyone seemed to enjoy the racing and track. The atmosophere off track was great.

Big thanks to the sponsors AvantiPlus Wollongong and Chocolate Foot who provide the trophies and medallions and financial support to run the event.

Mark McInnes obviously deserves a big pat on the back for stepping up and driving this event and hopefully working towards a state series next year.

Thanks to guys and girls from St Johns who thankfully has a quiet day.
Vincentia high did great job of providing food and drinks and I'm sure appreciate your support for their mtb program.
The Surfing Ninja did a gret coffee all day long

As you know theese events only happen because of volunteers. The SCUM crew have put a lot into making this event work well.
A lot of people put their hands and helped on the day, Matt, Russell, Chris, Nick, Dave and others I've probably missed.

I'd also like to mention Fi and Joe from Chocolate Foot who were helping with timing and commentary and anything else all day.

Some key people who helped this thing from the time SCUM took it on

Luke, XC co-ordinator and his dad Ross
Matt Grootenboer, club president and track guy for superbowl
Russ and Vanessa Phelan, who did most of the work up to and on the weekend, and will still be tidying up the loose ends this week.

Results should be available soon... and will be posted on the event site/SCUM site.

Finally a big thanks to the major sponsors, the riders. Whether you rode Elite or Club D you provided the financial support and incentive to make these events continue.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
What a great event this was. It wasn't your slick run event the big money making machines with entertainment. Instant result updates on a screen & a virtual networks so you can check placings on your mobile phone. digital lapping or anything if that sort.
This was more like your backyard BBQ with real homely hosts who were extremely relaxed but made everything work like clockwork.
There was absolutely no stress. Or at least, none apparent.

The track itself was insanely fantastic. Mostly single track. Had some extremely tight switchbacks but also flowy fast hard surfaced single track. A few roll downs into gullies. And back up on the other side. There must have been 3 or 4 of those. Every time I came across one of those youd get this.....ought faaaaark. Arrrrrgh. Grunt. ....every fucking lap. LOL
All of them had bridges. One in particular had a longer bridge. And if you mucked it up.....probably serious carnage if you came off that bridge.

There was lots of obstacles. A bridge over a massive log. Probably 1 m high? Not sure it seemed massive to me.
A few man made jumps made of logs

A few trees placed so close you had to slow right down & make sure you didn't get the handle bar stuck.

On the single track in places there was heap of rock track was off camber
Plenty of stuff to keep the mind occupied.
Some fire trail for those who needed it.

The track was a ripper.
The entry fee was $15 + racing license. So $35 or something. What a bargain.
I spent $ 50 in petrol just getting down there.
Local school had a sausage sizzle. With chocolates drinks & so on. Even a coffee van was present. Everything was reasonably priced.

It was run in a way I remember BMX events were run in th early 80's except then we didn't have computers & Internet to pre book & get the timing accurate.

This whole event was a huge credit to those who ran it. I take my hat of to those who made this event a fantastic experience.

Thank you!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
There was lots of obstacles. A bridge over a massive log. Probably 1 m high? Not sure it seemed massive to me.
As someone who managed to totally miss the down ramp on that one and ride nose first off the log - I thought it was at least 2 metres!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Results

Here are the placings as I remember them (& I missed the juniors all together)

Elite Men
1. Ben Henderson
2. Mitch Codner
3. Andy Blair

Elite Women
1. Bree Web

Expert Men
1. Jorge Baron
?

Veteran Men
1. Jason Morgan
2. Mark Thompson
3. Glen Pleffer

Veteran Women
1. Meaghan Binder
2. Danielle Pollock

Masters Men
1. Paul Brodie
2. Paul Morgan
3. David Harris

Masters Women
1 Karen Evans
2. Margaret King
3. Couvee Anthem

Super Masters Men
1. Vincent Keller
2. Brett Buttler
3. Trevor Bridge

markusm

Likes Bikes
Yesterday's event was my second ever race. After my first race I was thinking this maybe isn't the sport for me.

Now after yesterdays race I cant wait for the next one, inside of me I was smiling from ear to ear (on the outside I was probably grimacing with pain). I probably finished last, but jeez I had fun.

The track, the people around and the vibe were unreal, i'd pay 4 times the amount of the entry fee to see them either continue this exact event or make it a series.

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
My only thought would be- to run the juniors first at 9am, masters and veterans at 11am and then the elite at 1am. The elite should be the grand final where all stay to watch. Is there a simple answer as to why the elite run at 9am?
Yeah that's a good question.

That was the format used up until 2009 and the reason(s) it was changed were; low junior numbers, small numbers of spectators for the elite event and presentation.

A bit of focus group research showed that parents were struggling to events, which for many were 3 hours away or more, in time for a 9am start (I think back then it was actually 8:30 start). Of course then after the race they would have to wait for the Vet/Masters etc before the elites started and so most packed up and left before the Elite race started.

Then some smart cookie (I'm going to credit Craig Armour) came up with the format we are using at the moment. It meant a more practical time frame for parents moving juniors around, it also meant that most people were arriving just before or during the elite race, so more spectators during the race and presentation. The other side benefit was that along with the extra juniors come more mums and dads keen to ride.

One of the major things NSW MTB wanted to achieve was an increase in junior participation, ie the future of the sport etc etc

The other thing is that unlike footy where spectators effectively fund the event (if not at the event through TV and advertising), in our sport it is the participants that largely fund the event.

Having said all that there may well be better formats, but at least it is heading in the right direction and there is something to build on, and I'm sure Mark will be keenly viewing your comments about all these things as plans develop for next year...