NSW State XC Championships

struggles

Likes Dirt
I need to ammend my comments from earlier. I was only there for the elite race and didn't know that 160 people turned to race later on.

I went off the low number of elite riders and the 1 elite female.

The mossies were getting too bad to hang around so I went and rode Coondoo then Cabbage Tree.

crummy?

Likes Dirt
I need to ammend my comments from earlier. I was only there for the elite race and didn't know that 160 people turned to race later on.

I went off the low number of elite riders and the 1 elite female.

The mossies were getting too bad to hang around so I went and rode Coondoo then Cabbage Tree.
Thanks to all the orgainisers and those who helped out. To the crowd who shouted words of encouragement. All the riders who supported the event. And SCUM and their great trails for hosting the event. How great is superbowl!?!

Footage from the event should be on EPTV in the next couple of days.

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
Some more pics

Thanks to the organisers it ran perfect
I got some pics of the FIRST group only I raced later.
Have a look on my web sight if there is any of you its FREE (only took a few) just email me the pic number and I will email off it wont be straight away unless urgent let me know.
Great track THANKS Neil

http://neilthompsonphotography.com.au/

skinya

Likes Dirt
prize money ?

I thought this was amateur mountain bike racing event so why do we need prize money?If people need prize money to turn up perhaps their in it for the wrong reasons?:tape:

akashra

Eats Squid
I've always thought we should award cash prizes for Elite only - but it's also important to make there an incentive to get these high level riders along to the event.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Yeah that's a good question.

That was the format used up until 2009 and the reason(s) it was changed were; low junior numbers, small numbers of spectators for the elite event and presentation.

A bit of focus group research showed that parents were struggling to events, which for many were 3 hours away or more, in time for a 9am start (I think back then it was actually 8:30 start). Of course then after the race they would have to wait for the Vet/Masters etc before the elites started and so most packed up and left before the Elite race started.

Then some smart cookie (I'm going to credit Craig Armour) came up with the format we are using at the moment. It meant a more practical time frame for parents moving juniors around, it also meant that most people were arriving just before or during the elite race, so more spectators during the race and presentation. The other side benefit was that along with the extra juniors come more mums and dads keen to ride.

One of the major things NSW MTB wanted to achieve was an increase in junior participation, ie the future of the sport etc etc

The other thing is that unlike footy where spectators effectively fund the event (if not at the event through TV and advertising), in our sport it is the participants that largely fund the event.

Having said all that there may well be better formats, but at least it is heading in the right direction and there is something to build on, and I'm sure Mark will be keenly viewing your comments about all these things as plans develop for next year...
Thanks for the explanation. I thought there had to be a cunning plan! That makes sense.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Thanks to the organisers it ran perfect
I got some pics of the FIRST group only I raced later.
Have a look on my web sight if there is any of you its FREE (only took a few) just email me the pic number and I will email off it wont be straight away unless urgent let me know.
Great track THANKS Neil

http://neilthompsonphotography.com.au/

Great pictures Neil! Thanks for letting me steal some for my blog of the over 40 version of the race. cheers.
http://www.mattnash.com.au/blog/2011/08/2011-nsw-xco-championship-life-begins-at-40/

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
Looks like I got a time bonus for out sprinting DunkMan and jumped an extra position. ;)
I thought I was close enough to catch you but it must have been the sweat in my eyes ... I was going to lodge a protest but I don't think my position would improve and they may even dnf me for being a pain

Cornik

Likes Bikes
Great Race

Gday
Just wanted to comment on the day. Great tracks,well run event, just the right amount single, fire road, techie bits, jumps and sweeps all in the one track.

Thanks again to the blokes from scum for organising.

If you live near Nowra or Australia for that matter you would be crazy not to attend the next scum race.

out

Last edited: