[NZ] Great Southern Brevet

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
So, who's lining up? Anyone else heading over for a nice 4 1/2 - 8 day, 1100km jaunt around the South Island?

More details here

Apparently there'll be a leaderboard running. Event starts at 11:00 (NZ time) Saturday and my spot page is here.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Well 3 hours to the start and it's looking pretty spectacular already! Looks like there is usable light from about 5am to 9:30pm. That's a lot of riding time to fill (which might be needed to go sub 6 days - some of these mountains look friggin huge!)

For those twitter enabled following @southernbrevet should give you updates and he'll be retweeting the txt check ins.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Well its done and dusted - finished in 6d 1hr (or so) not sure of an 'official' place yet (crossed in about 13th but some guys ahead shortcut parts of the course and will have time penalties added). About 185km/day, more than 1100km, less than 200km of tarred road and the most amazing experience I have ever had on a bike....

Of course I still don't have feeling in my fingers and toes (bit of nerve damage...) but I'm sure that'll pass :)

Write up and some photos are here
My packing list and weights for stuff are here

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
+1, great landscape to ride around ( I am a wee bit biased though).

sneezy

Likes Bikes
awesome effort and would have been fantastic scenery. I reckon I'd be too echausted to be able to lift my head up and look at it tho..