Occasional Inconsisent Tyre Rub

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,

Lately on the Hardtail I have been having the tyre rub on the frame 1-2 during the ride. Normally only lasts for about 30-40 secs. Was doing it more often until I tightened the nut as tight as it could go before i couldn't lock it off anymore. This seems to have improved it, but not fixed it.

Any other fixes or things i could try? Not a nice feeling rocketing down a hill and the whole frame has a nice vibration and hum running through. It wearing down the nobbly bits, and rubbing on the sidewall.

Bike is a 2010ish Santa Cruz Chameleon

Thoughts?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

Lately on the Hardtail I have been having the tyre rub on the frame 1-2 during the ride. Normally only lasts for about 30-40 secs. Was doing it more often until I tightened the nut as tight as it could go before i couldn't lock it off anymore. This seems to have improved it, but not fixed it.

Any other fixes or things i could try? Not a nice feeling rocketing down a hill and the whole frame has a nice vibration and hum running through. It wearing down the nobbly bits, and rubbing on the sidewall.

Bike is a 2010ish Santa Cruz Chameleon

Thoughts?
You running low tyre pressures?
How wide are the tyres? Big volume?

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
You running low tyre pressures?
How wide are the tyres? Big volume?
I wouldn't say low pressure, perhaps 36. Running Maxxis Ardent 2.25.

Can happen coming out of a turn, on a straight after rough surfaces. Its almost like it takes a bump to knock it out of place, but the bolt is toight as. Usually fixes its self if i persist and keep pressing on.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Gotta be play in the hub axle/bearings unless there is obvious shifting of the wheel I the dropout or massive spoke detensioning.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
What hub? If it's cup and cone the axle could be loose.
Gotta be play in the hub axle/bearings unless there is obvious shifting of the wheel I the dropout or massive spoke detensioning.
^^^^
Yep.... running narrow enough tires and high pressure not to be getting squirm induced rubbing.
I'd be looking at the above suggenstions...........

A wheel service (including spoke tension) might also be a good idea, could be wheel flex if you dont have a lot of clearance.

John U

MTB Precision
Hmm not completly sure. I believe its a the original Mavic Crossmax QR 26" Wheelset. So whatever came with it.
I had these wheels on my commuter for a very short time. I believe the combination of slick grippy tyres and a grippy concrete bike path surface was flexing the wheels on some of the sharper faster corners enough to make the spokes come into contact with the disc brake caliper.

I think my wheels were in reasonable tune. They'd never given me problems in any other situation and had always run straight. I'd never had an issue with them on dirt. Saying that though, I'd never had this caliper rubbing issues with standard wheels commuting in the same conditions.

If you have an alternative wheelset, swap them over and run them with everything else set up the same and see if your issue still occurs.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
I once had a busted axle that displayed similar symptoms.
The thin QR rod and nut through the centre was holding it all tight until I hit a bump, the broken outer sections would move slightly relative to one another causing rub.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
A wheel service (including spoke tension) might also be a good idea, could be wheel flex if you dont have a lot of clearance.
Hooray! This was the ticket. Got the Hub serviced. Bearings ended up being shot, causing play in the wheel occasionally. Needless to say, running sweet now!

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Soo the tyre rub is back!

Well this time I know it isn't the Rear Hub. It needed and has had a service and is running sweet.

On the trail if i tighten up the QR as tight as possible it still manages to creep ever so slightly off centre if I hit something at speed...... little drop off, small rut.....

So how can i fix this? Roughen up the dropout, so it grips better? Get new skewers? Is there something that can convert my current horizontal drop-outs to something that i can use a Maxle or other straight through axle?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
on horizontal drop-outs you generally want some form of bolted rear axle. can your hub be converted to 135x10 bolt through?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
As the other guys said, tug nuts are the answer if you're running horizontal dropouts with a QR axle. QR axles are 9mm diameter, whereas horizontal dropouts will be 10mm, so the only thing holding your wheel in place is the pressure created from closing the QR skewer (and it can only be done up so tight before it becomes impossible to close or strips the thread on the skewer). The force of the chain pulling on the cassette will tend to pull the wheel forward

One tugnut on the drive side will get you out of trouble, but one each side on a bike with a disc brake set up will help make it quicker and easier to align your wheel in the dropout if you ever have to take it off to fix a flat or something.

Something like this will do the job: http://surlybikes.com/parts/drivetrain/tuggnut

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions guys, may need to grab one or two of these. Always rubs on the left hand side of the bike, looking from the rear. Bought some of these, thought it may do the trick, but alas......

Might double check spoke tensions again. Only happens when im pushing it hard going downhill. And tends to happen and stay rubbing for 10secs at a time, rather then when im only leaning into a corner. Havent been able to pinpoint what the trigger is at the moment.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Did they check that the axle wasn't busted when you got the bearings replaced ? I'm not sure on the specifics of that hub.