Octopus dna sequenced, unlike anything else on the planet

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"The octopus appears so utterly different from all other animals, even ones it’s related to, that the British zoologist Martin Wells famously called it an alien. "

I think you might want to read the article again......

moorey

call me Mia
"The octopus appears so utterly different from all other animals, even ones it’s related to, that the British zoologist Martin Wells famously called it an alien. "

That's just nitpicking.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

"The octopus appears so utterly different from all other animals, even ones it’s related to, that the British zoologist Martin Wells famously called it an alien. In that sense, you could say our paper describes the first sequenced genome from an alien," said Clifton Ragsdale, Associate Professor of Neurobiology and leader of the team that worked on the octopus at the University of Chicago.

moorey

call me Mia
"The octopus appears so utterly different from all other animals, even ones it’s related to, that the British zoologist Martin Wells famously called it an alien. In that sense, you could say our paper describes the first sequenced genome from an alien," said Clifton Ragsdale, Associate Professor of Neurobiology and leader of the team that worked on the octopus at the University of Chicago.
Which is exactly what you said...not.
They have found its unlike anything else on the planet and now believe it might be alien, as in it arrived on or in a frozen meteorite from somewhere else.
?
they said 'you could say it is like...'
you said 'they now believe it might be alien from a frozen meteorite.

not quite the same. :wink:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Leaving the glib throw-away lines from the press release (and the "alien" crap), the paper itself does reveal some really interesting things about the Octopus genome:

"Our analysis suggests that substantial expansion of a handful of gene families, along with extensive remodelling of genome linkage and repetitive content, played a critical role in the evolution of cephalopod morphological innovations, including their large and complex nervous systems."

The octopus is really doing "more" with "less" at a genome level.

will2

Likes Dirt
Speaking of sea creatures, DNA, and amazingness. The lobster's DNA doesn't deteriorate, unlike everything on earth. So theoretically they can live forever.
Yeah, take that Octopuss's.

moorey

call me Mia
Speaking of sea creatures, DNA, and amazingness. The lobster's DNA doesn't deteriorate, unlike everything on earth. So theoretically they can live forever.
Jellyfish, theoretically, are also immortal, from memory.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That is going to need a do over on the "s", "''", and the "s"...i don't know a single octopus that would approve.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The octopi, now known to humanity as alien lifeforms, have started to behave uncharacteristically worldwide. The kraken has awoken, to fulfill its destiny as the rightful ruler of planet earth.