Odd Monarch Plus RC3 issue that disappeared

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Recently installed a new Monarch Plus Debonair RC3 onto my Enduro.
After about 50km of riding on the new shock, it suddenly lost a heap of air pressure (250psi to 80psi).
Pumped it up on the trail back to 250, jumped on and rode on a slightly bumpy terrain, then it slowly started losing chunks of air with each bit of travel the shock went through.
The more travel it used, the more air it lost.

Note that at approx 30km of the shock's life , I put in 3 volume reducer bands

Opened up the shock today (just took the air can off), everything seemed to look ok. The 3 O-ring seals looked schmick, no usual oil anywhere and the shock body was evenly lubricated.
Shock shaft had the usual light grease from travel movement. Volume reducer bands looked fine.

Closed it all up. Mounted the shock and pumped it up to 250psi.
Cycled some of the travel with varying light forces, looked ok.
Jumped on the bike and gave it a bite more love (more force than it took to make it lose air during the ride) ... holds pressure fine.

Gypsy magic? Thoughts?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
There is no tightness to do up? The can just slides up and clicks in then you slip on the external rubber O-ring.

Maybe the external ring wasn't pushed into the groove firmly but I would've expected it to be an immediate issue rather than after 20km riding with some aggressive parts.

mark22

Likes Dirt
I think he means the shock body which the air can slips on too. It screws into the head.
May have been bit of foreign matter in one of the oring grooves or inside the air can.

teK--

Eats Squid
There is no tightness to do up? The can just slides up and clicks in then you slip on the external rubber O-ring.

Maybe the external ring wasn't pushed into the groove firmly but I would've expected it to be an immediate issue rather than after 20km riding with some aggressive parts.
sorry you're correct I thought you meant you took the air can off as in the inner section, but then I remembered you don't need to do that to add bands. Sometimes what can happen is an o-ring can roll out of one of the grooves as you slide the outer can on. That's why you need to make sure they are lubed really well. sounds like you have it sorted out though.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
So I pulled the can off, inspected it, closed it up and made sure the O-ring sat flush in the groove. Worked fine for two rides at Lysterfield.

Today at red hill it went from 250 to 150 twice.

I'm going to check if the air valve is screwed in tight, then maybe the underwater test for bubbles... but it looks like it only loses air when it's being pushed.

I'd be surprised if any of seals are busted this early in it's life (~75km)