Likes Bikes and Dirt
looking at rider entrants they've got:

100k = 290
and
50k = 436

no congo lines this year.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Not sure yet, will decide closer to the event.
This race has it over me:
Attempt 1 - caught up in crash, bandage fellow rider up and finish last 65km with a wonky wheel
Attempt 2 - rip rear mech off with 15km to go.
Next attempt - probably ride off dam wall

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
Wow. That's nothing like past years.
I agree - that seems really low... is it the change in date?

Anyway, I'll be there for a fourth time with the primary goals of:
1: No mechanicals
2: No accidents

If I can avoid the above, then the final goal is to finish with nothing left in the tank... which is usually not a problem.

Has anyone ridden the new section of course they have added in place of the bottom of haydens track? Does this get rid of the hideous sandy section on haydens?

Sheriff

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone been down that way or know how the track hold up this time of year?
tracks are in excellent condition. If it don't rain too heavily this week, then will be as perfect as you can get for riding.

air is crisp cool atm - so you can ride hard without over heating..

sandy section on 100k was firm when I rode on it 3 weeks ago.

moto track was over grown - with some logs that will have roadies stopping for photo and walk.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just entered for the 50km race this afternoon.
There is a late fee for those thinking of entering between now and the race.
Bit of a bummer, but the atmosphere down there is always good on race day. Hopefully the lower numbers don't detract from that.

Now to mentally prepare for the hurt..

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm hearing it's pretty wet down there at the moment, anyone down there already to say otherwise?

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
I agree.

It looks like just a little rain today but the trails drain really well and I am expecting perfect conditions for the weekend - just the right amount of tackiness.

Should be good for my current tyre set up of Ikon (F) and Saguaro (R).

See ya'll up there,
Sheriff

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Well that was fun!

Tracks were in great condition, weather was perfect, legs were good.

How did everyone else go?

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Started off pretty awesome until my chain blew up - not sure what happened but it seemed very short and kept snapping, so I set off on a hike along the trails.

Next set of marshals I came across managed to macgyver me a single speed setup and get me to rolling back to the footy ground.

Pulled the pin.

Thanks to Rapid Ascent for a great event, friendly and helpful marshals and generally a great weekend.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Started off pretty awesome until my chain blew up - not sure what happened but it seemed very short and kept snapping, so I set off on a hike along the trails.

Next set of marshals I came across managed to macgyver me a single speed setup and get me to rolling back to the footy ground.

Pulled the pin.

Thanks to Rapid Ascent for a great event, friendly and helpful marshals and generally a great weekend.
Wow, that's a shit day out.

Well done to you for seeing the positives in it :)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
That 50km was a lot bloody longer than it should be. Are you sure they were using metric?

I was amazed the bike held together seeing as it was assembled by myself and had yet to be ridden in anger but it did the job admirably with no problems whatsoever.
Me, on the other hand. I was FUCKED! It didn't take me long to give up on pedalling up hill and I started to cramp up after the 35km mark. I could have happily murdered someone and hidden their body in the bushes for an electrolyte but alas I didn't have the energy to catch anyone passing me - Some of whom were riding fat-bikes I might add!- Instead I eyed up every single discarded wrapper I passed in the hope that it may be a full gel pack or at least one with enough residue leftover for a quick lick but no such luck

On the plus side I was surprised at how well I did on the downhill sections. The bike handled brilliantly and the flowy nature of the tracks made it such an absolute joy to belt down. My balls certainly seemed to have grown that morning as I found myself charging down more than a few descents that would normally have me slamming on the anchors at the top and checking for a B-line. I had no stacks either which is a relief.

Anyway, I rolled over the finish line after 4hrs and 17min which isn't much to shout about but probably not too bad for an almost 37yr old junk food eating, casual smoker and heavy-drinker who was wearing flats. That Forrest Brewery stand certainly got a shitload of my business!

The whole ordeal was an absolute blast and I reckon I'm definitely going to have to make a road trip back down to Forrest to hit those trails up on a more leisurely schedule.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I had a few of the Forrest brews as well, very happy not to be driving home.

I thought I was riding pretty well, was demoralising to be battling for position with a guy on a rigid singlespeed FFS. "Yeah, I just picked up the bike yesterday" he says. And he was a nice guy too, I would have felt much better if he was a complete asshole.

Next event, 75km at Wombat.

You should make the trip out to woodend for this one POSM, perfect terrain for the Red October.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I had a few of the Forrest brews as well, very happy not to be driving home.

I thought I was riding pretty well, was demoralising to be battling for position with a guy on a rigid singlespeed FFS. "Yeah, I just picked up the bike yesterday" he says. And he was a nice guy too, I would have felt much better if he was a complete asshole.

Next event, 75km at Wombat.

You should make the trip out to woodend for this one POSM, perfect terrain for the Red October.
Would love to but I'm offshore for the first 3 weeks of April. Might be up for another race next leave though