Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time to get your dig on again kids, from 2pm Saturday we have a metric shitload of rock to get into this track and bodies to get it there.

Usual rules apply, bring your boots, gloves, hat & sunscreen and some water. We usually meet at the shipping container at 2pm but there may be someone at the trail head sign.

All welcome.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From the SNORC email that was sent out last night.

Help protect the new trail - 2 week ban on closed sign sections!

If you are getting this email then you probably don't need to read this because you are a passionate cycling advocate and respect closures. But the stage 2 trails really need a chance now for the clay to bed down and become robust (Dirt Art has just re-touched them). New signs are up to mark these sensitive area. If you see anyone riding it, please tell them that we just need to keep off it for a couple more weeks. If you see the signs torn down, put em up. This will allow it to firm up.

ChopSticks

Banned
Dates been set !!
bookmark the 7th of June guys/gals ! (weather permitting)

"Hornsby Update;
A tentative open date has been set for the Old Mans Valley Mountain Bike Park, Stage Two Trails- June 7th (weather pending). While the trails are as good as ready to go, signage is not quite ready. All being well the trails may open informally a little earlier than June 7th. Not too long to wait now."

ChopSticks

Banned
Interesting day out at Hornsby this afternoon. As I rode in from the train station, I passed a man and 3 kids unloading a panel van. They had 3 large electric bikes, with 200mm forks and a shock from a small moto, and an entry level regular hard tail. My first thought was “well those are clearly illegal”, but I just rode past and rode down into the valley.

Later on, I saw them riding around, not excessively quickly or anything, but sometimes going the wrong way down a trail. For a lot of it, I couldn’t hear the motors and so it seemed like they were just pedalling. However, these bikes probably weighed more than 30 kg, and one kid couldn’t push it up a mild incline under his own power (walking). They looked like they were struggling a bit. The kid on the regular bike seemed to be doing okay.

They went up the new climb that goes below the TAFE, and I could tell the kids were struggling to get the bikes up the hill in some spots. At one point, I saw one kid on the bike with the motor pushing him up the hill, and then spinning the wheel right where it gets steepest. To be fair, I probably would have spun my wheels too if I was going up that slope at such a low speed. The bikes had inverted semislick tyres, like for dirt jumping. They then went the wrong way down the single track climb to the fire trail and made their way up to the road.

At the top, I had a quick chat with the father. He commented on my scuffed arm (I had a fun lowside, eh) and the nice trails to explore, and I agreed. I then said “Sir, are you aware that riding these motorised bikes here is illegal?”
He said “No, its legal. Its legal on the road so it must be legal here”
I asked “Its legal on the road?” as I thought I might have misheard him.
“Yeah, 200 watts”
Which was clearly a lie. The hub motors were in the 2-5 kW range, the AC drives that were mounted on the “downtube” were as big as medium size car amplifiers, and the batteries were enclosed in the large body of the bike.
I said “Uh, 200 watts huh?”
“Yeah. Are you the police?”
“No. Look, I think you guys are riding fairly responsibly”
“Yeah, we are”, in kinda a standoffish way, as they rode away down the new connector trail beside the road (it didn’t have anything taping it off, though).

I’m kinda conflicted about what I think of this guy. I didn’t see any real damage on the trails, nothing more that what I can do with my own legs, so its not like he was actually vandalising the trail. And being a mechatronics student, I actually think the tech is really cool, and I much prefer it to an obnoxiously loud motorbike, and would own one myself if I had a big property to ride it on.

But I can’t agree with him riding it on these trails, because they’re clearly much more powerful than 200 watts or any person, and that simple ends up causing much accelerated trail wear. And the kids seemed to be struggling and I think they would have much more fun on a regular bike. Clearly the guy is loaded, so he could buy them really nice (light) bikes and they would have a blast and get some actual exercise.

He knows he’s breaking the law because he mentioned the 200 watt thing. Whether or not he actually had them limited to 200 watts is kind of irrelevant because a bike that heavy would still have a worse power to weight ratio than a rider on a regular bike, so no one would actually limit them to 200 watts.

I think electric bikes are actually really cool and should be promoted over petrol motorised transport, but I only agree with pedelec designs, which can only add power in proportion to the riders pedaling (no pedalling = no electric assist), and something that is limited, like 1 kW peak assist, 500 W max average over 30 seconds (max 15 kJ in 30 s) and max 200 watt average over 5 minutes (max 60 kJ in 5 minutes). This means that the electric bike still significantly boosts the rider, but doesn’t dissipate much more energy than a really fit rider would.

What would you guys have done?

Alex
is is this the family??

tex72

Likes Dirt
E-bikes aside is stage 2 being ridden now?
Only by selfish tools apparently.:tsk:

Quoted post from the trail building thread:

"Default Thanks
Hey Hornsby track builders,
Just rode the tracks there the other day. Just wanted to say thanks for an awesome job.
The new trails that you are building look good too.

And the guy who rode out of the closed blue section said it was fun. I questioned him about them being closed off and he just replied " there fine after you get past the barrier"

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No buntings on the track supposedly. And everyone's riding it.. Take it that the 'unofficial' opening they were talking about might have happened?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah If the bunting has been taken away by the builders/council then that's ok, but if it's just these clowns knocking it down and chucking it in the bush like last time around then that's not on.

Sent by courier pigeon

ChopSticks

Banned
Yehhh
all tape/punting etc have been removed

everyone was riding it
really really enjoyed the back loop with the high berms and flow...... Minus the up hill left hairpin that jumps out of nowhere (first time ride) and almost caught me out.... Rest of stage 2 is...... Pedally :(
hopefully gains abit more flow as it beds in.

also enjoyed the alternate climb up to the pool.... Slightly more interesting than the fireroad!

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Ahh you guys must have visited right after I did this morning. I left at around 12:30. As I was riding out, I saw those people on their electric bikes riding in. Yes, they're the same people that I wrote about before.

I do have reason to believe that someone with authority removed all the bunting. At the section where the blue and black trails merge, that's still slightly soggy but not quite muddy, there used to be woven fencing that has been removed. That particular section is the part that is most sensitive to water. However, it's okay now.

The stage 2 trails will need to be kept closed a few more days after rain than the original trail , mostly because of that particular area that everyone climbs up.

TKU

Squid
Was there riding at hornsby between 9-12 today with the asian pack. Prob would have seen some of you

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Had my first go of stage 2 after getting a late text from a mate who was down there. so much fun and flow. This track is only going to get better as it gets bedded in nice. A lot of local crew were down there along with the synergy boys who were fixing a corner on stage 1 and then all got bikes out and had a session. Everyone I spoke to had a lot of fun and it tests your cornering skills especially the uphill ones at speed.

riene5

Likes Bikes
So are the trail builders good with riders riding the stage 2 trails?
Would I be correct in assuming the trails are good to go, but just won't be officially opened by the council until 7th of June?

Massive thanks to all involved with the park, I love the stage 1 trails and am keen to give the stage 2 ones a go.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yes the trails are officially ok to ride. The official opening ride day is on the 7th of June with a bbq and demo bikes etc

Sent by courier pigeon

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I'll add that the stage 2 climb is currently closed due to excavator working in close proximity to the trail on the pool construction site. I think it's only for a few days. But check the Hornsbymbt site for more details.

Sent by courier pigeon

loc81

Likes Dirt
really really enjoyed the back loop with the high berms and flow...... Minus the up hill left hairpin that jumps out of nowhere (first time ride) and almost caught me out.... Rest of stage 2 is...... Pedally :(
hopefully gains a bit more flow as it beds in.
Despite the weather looking dodgy me and some mates checked it out on Saturday- turned out to be a great day! TBH I can't say much positive stuff about that new section. Compared to the old top half, the black runs are intermediate level at best. I enjoy the technical aspect of up top but love a quick XC trail too so don't think I'm Mr Extreme here ha ha. Like you said above that first section of the "black" --EDIT: I mean blue here, got lines mixed-- run holds speed and is fun but after that it becomes a bit of a pedally mess that you can't really find much rhythm on. What's with all those BMX style bumps that you can neither jump or pump?
With the (our?) money and effort put into this I'm hoping that I'm the minority and others find their own fun in this section. I'm sure the top existing section may not be everyone's cup of tea either so each to their own!

Last edited: