Oil and storing your bike vertically/upside down.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Due to being stung pretty badly by thieves ( http://www.farkin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4271 ), my wife and I have decided to store our new good bikes inside our unit, which isn't very big.
Due to space restrictions, we're going to store them either upside-down from the ceiling, or vertically on a wall.

Here's my questions:

1. Has anybody, who owns hydraulic (disc) brakes and shocks (front forks in our case) that use oil, had any bad experiences doing this with oil leaking, or airbubbles, or anything else other than a perfect experience?

2. Anybody have any knowledge if these products will have any problems?
Hayes HFX brakes, Shimano XT brakes, Manitou Shermans (Flick), Rock Shox Pyslos (2001? Not the "Pure" system, anyway).

I've done some searching on the net, but it's hard to find specific info on this kind of thing.

Thanks!

naz

Criminally Inane
rob, ive hung my xts on my kona upsidded down did nothing..
thats all i can contribute

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno bout Hydor brakes, but the forks should be ok. Infact I evenm hear that rockshox even recomends storring the bike upside down from time to time to keep the upper wiper seals wet.

Adi

It's my birthday!
I don't know if this helps, but I have some 2001 Z.5s sitting in the shed and sometimes put them upside down and do not experience any problems with the forks leaking. So you should be fine.

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i hang my bikes up and i have hydraulich brakes on one and oil forks i think on the other, they are both fine!

Rik

logged out
Shimano say that having your XT brakes can lead to bubbles riding into the caliper, and I'd guess sames goes for Hayes too.
I don't think it's a huge issue though, as long as you give your brakes a good squeeze to check them before you ride, you should be safe.
And forks shouldn't be a problem either.

I think you'll be fine.
In fact, if you've got any shifting gremlins, keeping the bike upsidedown might disorientate them and hopefully they'll get dizzy and fall off.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Rob, I know lots of bike stuff is "fully sealed" but I've often found it isn't QUITE as fully sealed as we may like... which is a real bummer when your bike is upside down in the house.

Why not get yourself something like this... there are a couple of different makes on the market and make indoor storage a breeze.

Cheers

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Grip said:
Why not get yourself something like this...
I'd love to, Grip, but... the space restraints don't allow for it. In fact, the vertical idea is out as well now, since we've found it won't fit. It's gotta be from the ceiling.

What a drag. Sigh.... :(

BagofSkill

Likes Dirt
Techno,
It appears that your bike is actually a couch. Have you ever considered storing it in your living room?

Seriously though, with the brakes, there is normally a small pocket of air in the mater cylinder. If the bike is upside down, the air may 'rise' to the caliper. That is bad. Wether it will or not will depend on the internal structure of your lever/mater cylinder. Try it, and if they feel spongy afterwoods, you will need to bleed. Otherwise it'll normally take some time for the air to float back to the master, if it will at all.

Second problem, forks. Just buy some Shivers or Durado's. They're designed for upside down use. No, wait. Is that right? Um, anyway, Forks will be fine (so long as your seals don't leak, they're new I guess, so you'll be ok there). Just they may like to stand up for 10 mins before you ride...

Although, are you sure you cant hang them right way up from the ceilling? have some hooks up there, or a pulley system?

wombat

Lives in a hole
WOW! Rob's back! Where ya been meng?
As for the bikes, bagofshit has the right idea I reckon, hang em rightways up, a hook round the stem and the tt maybe?

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had my bikes hanging vertically for about 2 years now and never had a hassle. I alternate them hanging one by the front wheel and the next by the rear etc coz you can fit more in that way and either way has been fine. I'd imagine Upside down would be the same deal, although I'd reckon lifting the buggers up there will suck