Ok, i geddit now

abaser666

Likes Bikes
Did the 20k kalamunda loop today, and had a blast! Been a dh pig for a few years now, and thought I'd try a bit of peddling. The S. C. Nomad I hired from Tony @ munda biddi bike hire was brill. Big ups to the people who put all that effort into making the trails, Tony for providing a great service, the camel farm for thier awesome lunch, and my crew for a great day! Now, do I sell the glory 8 and xtc and buy an am steed? Is there a 13kg am bike that can handle the big hits?

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get a rocky mountain slayer 70 buddy, 13.5 with dropper post.
160 up front and 165 up back, its not an uphil racer but will ride everything. and has a huge amount of travel.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome to the goodness that is AM.
Lots of nice kit to try;
It all depends on the $$$$ at the end. Yeti SB66 is amazing, Cannondale Claymore and Scott Genius LT well worth a look. I also think the Trek Fuel or the Giant Reign could tickle you.

Time to go play on Bike exchange, enjoy!

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Welcome to the goodness that is AM.
Lots of nice kit to try;
It all depends on the $$$$ at the end. Yeti SB66 is amazing, Cannondale Claymore and Scott Genius LT well worth a look. I also think the Trek Fuel or the Giant Reign could tickle you.

Time to go play on Bike exchange, enjoy!
No deal !

Haha I've done it, not a fan but each to there own and I agree a lot of good work has been done around the area which did impress me, just not my style.

*thad*

Likes Bikes
My Commensal Meta55 is 13.8 and has no problem in that area. I ride the less known trails and use the KC loop to link them.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey man, im a born and bread DH racer aswell. I do kala pretty often and bought a trek remedy and its sweet. I can smash the DH stuff their pretty fast and still pedal around everywhere else. I also do some pretty big jumps and shit elsewhere on the remedy and it seems to be holding up pretty good. I also ride a trek session 88 DH bike so the remedy is pretty similar minus 2inchs. If you go see Lee at Bikeforce midland he can set you up with one, I think he has a remedy 8 in stock at the moment aswell. Also goto Midland cycles they have a pretty decent stock of specialized bikes.

I have the 2011 remedy 7 that i have spent abit of money on, ie dropper post, wheels(unsealed bearing hubs can eat a dick).

heres a pic of it, Pic doesnt show the new wheels, dropper post and Vivid air but you get the picture.

Last edited:

Nerb

Squid
Cannondale never seem to get a mention around her (maybe theyre usually too expensive) but right now past years are on sale with 2013 models arriving. I just got a jekyll and find it a great all rounder. I havnt (and im unlikely to) test it on the serious DH side of things but changing travel on the fly, dropper post and 13.2kg including my lights feels pretty good to me.

abaser666

Likes Bikes
Cant wait to rub bars out there...

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and advice, its really got me buzzed about getting out there again. Sorry i haven't been too communicative, i've been pouring over the classified section - and drooling over 'steve the dog's' scratch air. I've also been considering converting a 2010 Giant Faith - is this plain stupid or has it got some merit? I really like the chrome/anodized blue scheme. I've seen a number of the Lt30's for sale here and elsewhere that are close to my price range, however i'm a bit concerned about the bespoke pull shock rightin the roost firing line.

now all i need is to execute one of my crackpot money making scams to come up with a bit of coin.

I've since been out to the GF on my glory 8 and ridden all the xc a few times over. she's a bit of a pig, but its still great fun. HOpe to see you guys out there. We're going back to kalamunda saturday week, i'm bringing a few of my other dh mates along. All aboard!

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How great is trail riding, I'm another DH rider who has got right into it over the last year or so!

Having a trail bike in WA is a good option, not only is Kalamunda awesome, places like the goatfarm which aren't so good on a DH bike become awesome on a 6" travel bike.

As far as a bike, I've got myself a Specialized Stumpy Evo on the way to blast around Kala on, should be a weapon. Someone else mentioned the SB-66, I've lapped the place on one and was stoked on it, definitely a good choice if you have some coin behind you. Something like a Faith is overkill for that area really, you can get something just as capable that will pedal heaps better. The LT30's etc do ride quite well, I've ridden a LT10 and that performed decently (how many $7k carbon bikes dont?), the travel adjust is really cool, but the pull shocks do shit themselves fairly regularly.

Enjoy!

abaser666

Likes Bikes
How great is trail riding, I'm another DH rider who has got right into it over the last year or so!

Having a trail bike in WA is a good option, not only is Kalamunda awesome, places like the goatfarm which aren't so good on a DH bike become awesome on a 6" travel bike.

As far as a bike, I've got myself a Specialized Stumpy Evo on the way to blast around Kala on, should be a weapon. Someone else mentioned the SB-66, I've lapped the place on one and was stoked on it, definitely a good choice if you have some coin behind you. Something like a Faith is overkill for that area really, you can get something just as capable that will pedal heaps better. The LT30's etc do ride quite well, I've ridden a LT10 and that performed decently (how many $7k carbon bikes dont?), the travel adjust is really cool, but the pull shocks do shit themselves fairly regularly.

Enjoy!
Have you ever done dwellingup/mundaring on the Evo? (dh runs) I'm hoping to get something that I can still handle the rougher stuff (would I have to avoid the a-lines?) that's why I thought maybe finding a way to make a 15kg faith could be an alternative, and why the scratch air looks so appealing.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Being from the other side of the little country thing I havent ridden over there but I have the 2012 stumpy evo and I give mine a right royal flogging most of the time I ride it. Anything from DH to 12 and 24hr races Ive done on it and stock it comes in at 13.3 or so. I was a bit dubious that it would hold up to a 95kg uhh lets say smooth and fluid rider...yeah that works.. but its taken everything I can throw at it and smiled.

abaser666

Likes Bikes
Being from the other side of the little country thing I havent ridden over there but I have the 2012 stumpy evo and I give mine a right royal flogging most of the time I ride it. Anything from DH to 12 and 24hr races Ive done on it and stock it comes in at 13.3 or so. I was a bit dubious that it would hold up to a 95kg uhh lets say smooth and fluid rider...yeah that works.. but its taken everything I can throw at it and smiled.
Thats what i am after. I dont mind bypassing some of the really big stuff (after i did the drop at dwellingup i think i'm comfortable knowing i've done what i set out to achieve) but i'd hate to be on the bump stops the whole way down a regular dh track.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
I love mine, its quite possibly my fav bike in my little stable. I ride it just as smooth and dreamy as I ride my v10 which is about as smooth and dreamy as prison sex and it doesnt seem to complain, kinda like with the prison sex I guess. The only things I'd like to change in it are maybe some 160mm fox 36s or similar on the front and then offset bush on the shock just to slacken it a bees dick. I like the revelations but when climbing steeper stuff I just cant help but feel like Im going arse over so having some travel adjustability on the front would be good. I know the last two sentences contradict each other a wee bit what with the 'I want it slacker with bigger forks to stop my front end lifting when climbing' but I figure when climbing something steep I can drop the forks, Im more interested in the fun bits anyway....climbing is just to get there

abaser666

Likes Bikes
maybe a Giant Reign or Cannondale Claymore if you have the spare cash.
Cannondales and Giants are not the cheapest but IMO there built to last

http://www.cannondale.com/aus/2013/bikes/mountain/overmountain/claymore

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bike-finder/everyone/offroad/?level=all
Dropped into my lbs who were going to do the reign 1 for $2600 which is a great price for a new bike, but I really want something with a dropper post and 36mm forks. I need the beef.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I have a 2011 stumpy evo, now with 50mm stem, kashima 36's, and the thing is a weapon, the forks and stem make a massive difference, mine is in here on post all mountain thread, just changing wheelset on it now, king heavy duty hubs on mavic 819's!