Okey-Dokey Artichokey, Need your help hokey pokey. (Quickly)

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK folks.

We just got a letter home from school about Electives for year 9/10 and i dont know what to do?

I want to get into the MTB industry in desgin, trail construction, mechanic, maneger, advertising, multi-media (video mainly) (If becoming the next Sam Hill or Nathan Rennie falls through...:rolleyes:)

These are the choices I have narrowed it down to:

• Desgin & Technology
  • Industrial Desgin - Multimedia
  • Industrial Desgin - Timber
  • Wild Ed

I get two.:mad: see my dilemma

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
  • Desgin & Technology
  • Industrial Desgin - Multimedia
  • Industrial Desgin - Timber
  • Wild Ed
Are you more a tradie or a computer guy ..? If Trady, go for Industrial design (timber), 'computery' ... Multimedia. I'd be doing Design and Technology if it were me, just as i think it could be useful down the track. And i've got no idea what Wild Ed is, so i'm not going to comment.

Honestly, don't start nailing down your subjects to a certain career already, keep your oppurtunities as wide open as possible, you may decide later on you want nothing to do with bikes as a career, but keep it as a hobby.

Also, it's only year 10 subjects ... they don't really count :p

Wait a year. What you do in yr 10 wont change your life and what you do.
Quoted for truth

Last edited:
Wait a year. What you do in yr 10 wont change your life and what you do. Pick the two you want to do then in yr 11 do them all if that is what you wish. Yeah it will give you some general info into the subjects but it isn't all that important. I'd do Design & Tech and Industrial Design - Mulitmedia if it was me though.

Brett

Likes Dirt
As an industrial designer I'm wondering what "Industrial Design - Multimedia" and "Industrial Design - Timber" actually are ?

If I were you I would defiantly go with Design and Technology too...

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quoted from the booklet -

"Industrial Technology - Timber,students wil blah blah blah blah,
practical projects include

• Furniture items
  • decorateive timber products
  • storage and transportation products
  • small step ladders and similar
  • storage and display units

students will focus on a main are of skill, centerd around

• Cabnet work

e.c.t

Industrial Technology - Multimedia

Focuses on
  • didgital imaging
  • didgital slideshow presentations
  • print graphics
  • flash animations
  • 3D computer animations
  • Interactive game desgin
  • web pages

patto94

Likes Dirt
I am currently going through year 9 and have done my first semster of electives and i have found the subjects interesting.
I was talking to one of my bosses about this and about what I wanted to when im older, I told him that I wanted to do something in the bike industry be it a mechanic or own a bike business.
He said that he used to ride but you wont want to do those things when your older as you grow out of the sport and into other subjects.
And one of the points of electives is to try new subjects, i.e. girls in science, active girls and beaded jewelery.
Yes i nearly moved into beaded jewelery out of another subject.

shane_2Kona

Likes Dirt
electives for years 9/10 mean shit. Just pick subjects you know you will enjoy, as the year 11/12 courses are written assuming you didnt do the year 9/10 version of that class.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Year 10 subjects make two fifths of fuck all of a difference for any career you are to follow in later life. Hell, I completely swapped out half my classes in VCE and still did fine.

I am currently going through year 9 and have done my first semster of electives and i have found the subjects interesting.
I was talking to one of my bosses about this and about what I wanted to when im older, I told him that I wanted to do something in the bike industry be it a mechanic or own a bike business.
He said that he used to ride but you wont want to do those things when your older as you grow out of the sport and into other subjects.
And one of the points of electives is to try new subjects, i.e. girls in science, active girls and beaded jewelery.
Yes i nearly moved into beaded jewelery out of another subject.
Jewellery was my best subject of year 10, made a massive flavour flav clock and 2 novelty-sized dollar sign rings. So much fun!