Old Bathurst Road history

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
This is a call for assistance; I have been working with Blue Mountains City Council to formulate their nature based recreation policy. At various times the council representatives have made mention of Old Bathurst Road (OBR). I am trying to establish how long has riding taken place at Old Bathurst road and, are there any photos of the area showing the vegetation and area in the early days. The area has been ridden “uncontrolled” for years and from what I have heard is surviving quite well in terms of erosion and damage to vegetation. I am trying to make a case that the riders do not damage the areas as badly as National Parks states, OBR may have been operating for 15 years, and hopefully it can stay a little longer.

G-Man

Likes Dirt
C-mon guys ..

reply to the mans post ,, help us out ..

do you like riding at Old Bathurst Road ,, do you want to
continue to do so ..

get onto your key boards and help out WSMTBVP as he
is trying to help us keep these typs of riding areas in use ..

i know most of ride or have riden there ,, i've seen you :twisted:

get into it boys and girls ..

catch yas G-man outy

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
The guy to talk to who made most of the tracks there is called (micheal or paul or something) king (kingy is what people call him). He is the guy who used to make the rapid descent safety gear. and helped rennie out when he was getting started. He lives on old bathurst road not far from the tracks, used to ride a giant with moster T's.

But it is really no good, the tracks will be getting closed down eventually as from what i've been told the land after the road gap is getting SOLD. That means it will become private land and if the owners don't want you to ride it then there is not much you can do about it. Bit of a bummer. It is my fav track, and i've seen rennie and such ride out there as well.

As for age, old bathurst has been there for at least 5 or 6 years to my knowledge.

I don't think you would find any pics of it before the tracks but there is not that much erosion on the tracks, the vegittion on the hill is fairly sparse anyway, mostly from bushfires that have gone through there. Bushfires and the drought is what has mostly casued the minimal erosion on the track.

You know what but, i get really pissed at councils. We make a couple of tracks and they bitch about erosion. What about the 8 meter wide tarmak road they have going up the side of the mountain and all the runn of and erosion that causes. Geeeesss........

Matt

Tim

Likes Dirt
Paul King is the guy to see, lives at the house with the flag pole in the front yard at the top of the hill about halfway between the servo and the top of the track.

Tim

Those tracks are awsome!!, they cant b closed down. you've got my full support to patition against it. I have NFI how long they've been there but there is practically no errosion that wouldn't have happened by naturel causes. BTW wot the hell r ppl gonna do with the land after the road gap? some of it is steep as and loads of rocks, no good for building bed rock is like 10cm down in most spots.

Kingy

Likes Bikes
Late mail

This is a call for assistance; I have been working with Blue Mountains City Council to formulate their nature based recreation policy. At various times the council representatives have made mention of Old Bathurst Road (OBR). I am trying to establish how long has riding taken place at Old Bathurst road and, are there any photos of the area showing the vegetation and area in the early days. The area has been ridden “uncontrolled” for years and from what I have heard is surviving quite well in terms of erosion and damage to vegetation. I am trying to make a case that the riders do not damage the areas as badly as National Parks states, OBR may have been operating for 15 years, and hopefully it can stay a little longer.
Wish I'd seen this years ago

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to ride here back in 2000 and it was there a few years before that, but i haven't been there for at least 10 years.

hop that is of some use.

Kingy

Likes Bikes
Gone but not forgotten

Ha Ha! I think around the time of the writing of this original thread I was working in Ireland, wonder if old mate knocked on the door