DJ Old, lost, (not so) new again.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, 16 months ago my 24 Moon was stolen from the front of my work in plain sight, full view of my work and in broad daylight. I filed a police report, posted around on a couple of different forums trying to get it back, but after one small lead the trail went cold.

Fast forward to this morning on the way to work. Being a bike head I check out everything that looks like it might be quality or drool-worthy but I didn't expect my Moon to be being ridden along the footpath as i looked out the window! My girlfriend pulled over, i jumped out of the car and chased the guy down. Anyway, turns out he's a lovely guy and his dodgy mate sold him the bike. Sounds pretty suss, but he didn't put up any resistance whatsoever once i'd told him the bike'd been stolen and i could 100% prove it was mine. Gave him $20 for a taxi to work and we parted ways. Stoked!

Here's some pictures:

Ratty as! Definitely going to have to get some paint stripper.

Apparently they didn't know how to use a Maxle. It'd been tightened all the way down while closed...ALL the way down. Not budging :(

Like...ALLLLLLL the way down.

It's in pretty shitty condition at the moment, but I don't see why I shouldn't refresh it a bit and have 2 24" park bikes :p The wheels are in stellar condition! Fruck knows where the bike's been kept and what sort of abuse it's been put through, but both wheels are still 100% true and tight and the hubs are running preeeetty sweet, surprisingly!

Anyone know how to get the maxle out? Haha.

Last edited:

rtd

Likes Dirt
Looking rough as. However, glad to see you've got your old bike back and that justice has been restored. Did you ask for old mates address then haha?

A similar thing happened to me when I was in high school - a mate had his downhill bike stolen and I saw it in the Toowoomba CBD about a year later. I bailed the rider up and proceeded to hound him with questions, apparently he had seen it advertised in the local trading post and bought it...

Regarding the maxle - just goes to show how useless the kind of person who steals a bike is.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great outcome, i,m sure you will restore her nicely (and keep a close eye on it) ! :biggrin: