Old school BMX

petri

Likes Dirt
I dunno if this has been posted before so...

I grew up riding freestyle and racing in the 80's. Rode a chrome Redline, Haros, GT's and my last bike was a Dyno that was a copy of Dave Volker's.

Rolling tricks started becoming popular and hitchhikers and backpackers were awesome to try to get dialled. People were calling backflips 'Airwalks'.

I learnt to do rockwalks without brakes and 360's on the flat in '86 i think and that was cool in Toowoomba that time... couldn't have white tyres tho because the dirt was red and shite and my stonewash jeans would also get stained..

Post some feelings of riding back then if you're old enough.

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
during my skateboarding day in early high school.
a mate and i used to dig shitty jumps at a spare block 5 houses around the corner. these were for 16 inch bikes, and were the coolest thing out. so kids from around the suburb used to come help us.....well...about 5 of them.

being a 16inch, it was easy to do stupid tricks. thought i was pretty cool doing superman seatgrabs (were more like no footed seat grabs now that i think about it:rolleyes:). and 360ing to eating shit every time.

we got bored of just having jumps, so what else is there to build? a foam pit. and we dug one about 6 ft deep (was deeper than my height) by about 1.5m by 3m. so it wasnt going to be a foam pit anymore, but we used bushes and shrubs on the block to camouflage the hole. then we started trowing water bombs from there and passer-by's. ended up having a wicked tarp set up over it so we could hang out in there during the rain. picked up carpet from a road-side clean up and used that as the floor, and also found an esky, which we used to buy drinks just so we could keep them in there:p.

one night there was a party (think like an 18th) next door, so we packed up our shit and went home. came back the next morning only to find a suzuki jimny ass up in the air. some guy thought it'd be cool to go 4wding on the block. little did he know there was a fucking massive hole. we didnt dig there again.
so we moved our jumps elsewhere, and it all started from there. until the counsel knocked them down. i tried a backflip on it, and it was no bigger than 2 foot tall (literally). landed on my head/shoulder. then on the next one, i was riding fast to do it again. the up-ramp was dug underground a bit, so i hit the side of the dig out, and went face first into black dirt. both videos are on my old computer. the face-plant nearly made it onto funniest home videos:p