Old school carbon GT

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Hey,

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my "new" GT. Its a 1998 STS 1000 DS, basically a thermoplastic (carbon fibre) version of the long travel LTS. Is adjustable from 100-125mm in the rear, but I'll be leaving it on 125mm setting. Went for an old frame as I'd always wanted one back when I was racing XC and DH, but have built it up with all new parts as it'll be my regular ride.

Still need to trim down the steerer tube and extend the forks out to their 130mm setting. Also waiting on a new Fox Float for it and upgraded bearing kit for the pivots.

Will be mainly used for cross country and an occasional bit of mucking around on DH tracks, have had a few spins on it already and it goes pretty good for an old frame.

Ashes

Attachments

COZIE

Likes Bikes
That's a nice looking frame for a bike that age Ashes.

Reminds me when when i bought my first duallie back around that time,a Diamondback V-link ,oh how i loved it :)

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't fall asleep if I were you, an old school GT fanatic like me may come and relieve you of it.
Sweet rig mate, be gentle as the STS is prone to folding.

rone

Eats Squid
Yeah, nice. It is unusual to see one of to see one of these still in one piece. The old thermoplastics rode great before they broke! Go easy on the old girl.

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats awsome as i have never seen one of them before...your right it is oldschool:p

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Thanks for comments - I was worried it'd get canned for not being a freeride or dirt jump rig!!

The old girl should be pretty safe in my hands, got the big mortgage now so can't afford to do big jumps and get injured anymore!

Dicky

Punter God
Very nice.

Hope it serves you well for a good while.

I have an identical red stem that'd look much better on your bike than in my shed...

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Very nice rig.
Amazing pedigree too with Nico and Mike King ripping shit up on the world Cup circuit, back in the day.

Foes1974

Cannon Fodder
looks brilliant, haven't seen one of those in ages!!!!

i've been mtbing for 20 years and I reckon the sts is just about my favourite from all those years. look after it!!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Very nice rig.
Amazing pedigree too with Nico and Mike King ripping shit up on the world Cup circuit, back in the day.
Not to mention Australia's Mike Ronning too!

Always loved the first dedicated LTS downhill frame with the bent seat tube, I like the fact the STS has a bit of that look in it with the bent seat tube. Has pretty much the same travel too, I think the first LTS DH was 5" in the rear (and for memory first came with 3" Judy DH's).

Its amazing how far mtb's have progressed in 10 years, but was surprised by how good the old girl rides - not embarrassed by newer rigs (although the new bikes have thankfully beefed up a bit).

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
You have matched the old and the new really well.
Couldnt have said it better myself! Great to see these old GTs riding strong...and the great thing is that there are alot of GT owners kicking here so there would be a fairly decent network of parts if that issue ever arised.

Fantastic rig never the less mate! Well done!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Its amazing how far mtb's have progressed in 10 years, but was surprised by how good the old girl rides - not embarrassed by newer rigs (although the new bikes have thankfully beefed up a bit).
Yup... but put a new shock on her and you think she was new I'd say :)

I gave my '97 LTS to my sister and do miss it a little but if it's getting her out and exercising on a bike then it's better than clogging up my flat. Still have quite a soft spot for GT's ....

...Nice ride!

Cheers
Gonz

ohalrighthen

Likes Bikes
Hey,

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my "new" GT. Its a 1998 STS 1000 DS, basically a thermoplastic (carbon fibre) version of the long travel LTS. Is adjustable from 100-125mm in the rear, but I'll be leaving it on 125mm setting. Went for an old frame as I'd always wanted one back when I was racing XC and DH, but have built it up with all new parts as it'll be my regular ride.

Still need to trim down the steerer tube and extend the forks out to their 130mm setting. Also waiting on a new Fox Float for it and upgraded bearing kit for the pivots.

Will be mainly used for cross country and an occasional bit of mucking around on DH tracks, have had a few spins on it already and it goes pretty good for an old frame.

Ashes

Wow,

That's a very, very rare STS 1000, not many of them were imported into Australia by Southcott due costs & earlier 96 / 97 lugged version failing at the joints. If this was an original frameset designated for Australian market, you've got yourself a serious collectable there.

I've just built up a GT LTS-1 with some new parts as well, but the Fox Float RLC is jacking the front end up too much, even after I've reduced the travel down to 100mm, and the rear Rock Shox Super Delux is doing what it does best, performing explosive diarreah of shock oil for no good reasons.

How are you finding your Coupe Deluxe and running Recon fork at the front? Does it jack the front end up enough to ruin the steering? If not, I might give a Recon a try as well. Otherwise I might have to do the silly thing, run the Float at 80mm travel with 125mm at the back....

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Wow,

That's a very, very rare STS 1000, not many of them were imported into Australia by Southcott due costs & earlier 96 / 97 lugged version failing at the joints. If this was an original frameset designated for Australian market, you've got yourself a serious collectable there.

I've just built up a GT LTS-1 with some new parts as well, but the Fox Float RLC is jacking the front end up too much, even after I've reduced the travel down to 100mm, and the rear Rock Shox Super Delux is doing what it does best, performing explosive diarreah of shock oil for no good reasons.

How are you finding your Coupe Deluxe and running Recon fork at the front? Does it jack the front end up enough to ruin the steering? If not, I might give a Recon a try as well. Otherwise I might have to do the silly thing, run the Float at 80mm travel with 125mm at the back....
Hey, thanks for comments!

I had a decent off not long after building it up so have only ridden about 3 times on it but the Coupe Deluxe seems fine. I bought it with a blown Fox Vanilla Air and have a Fox Float RL from a Jekyl that I may put on it, but will need to get the trunnion mount bored out slightly to fit.

I don't mind the Recon. Doing the old carpark bouncing test I thought it had too much compression damping (not externally adjustable...) but it has been great off road. It's set at 100mm at the moment, which is the same travel the DS's came with originally (dual crown Rock Shox XL's) so doesn't affect the geometry at all. To be honest, I've probably had the back end set a bit too high if anything so the 130mm setting will probably make for a better balance. Will keep you posted as I experiment!

Does your LTS-1 have the originally titanium linkage or the later aluminium trunnion mount version like mine?

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
I've got me a 97 STS frame hanging in the shed. Bought it from NZ for a build up project with the intention of sourcing all old skool parts and building it up as it would have been, back in the day.

It'll be a slow and pricey process but I'll get there...cant wait to finish it and post some pictures

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a really nice bike. When you think about it there's not that much different in the frame designs apart from the newer bikes have thickers chainstays and probably use more modern material. The suspension design I've seen around too on a new bike but slightly tweaked. Really nice bike:D