DH Old School Kona DHer

buzzsaw

Squid
Managed to pick up an old school Kona Stab Dee-Lux frame on Ebay. Think it was a 1999 model and recently finished building it up with secondhand parts and costs a snip compared to when it was new. I remember back when they first came out and so wanted one but was in poor street back then. Rides really well and feels more planted in the dirt than even my newer Kona Stinky bike.

Frame: 1999 Kona Stab Dee-Lux
Forks: Marzocchi Super T Pro
Rear Shock: Fox
Cranks: Raceface Prodigy DH 32th (granny ring mounts filed off) and RaceFace B/B
Chainguide: Blackspire C4 (handsawed to the bare essentials due to chainrub - don't make them like they use to!)
Rear Gear: Shimano Deore
Cassette: Sram 8-speed 11-32th
Brakes: Hayes Nine
Bars: Race Diabolus
Stem: Bilt
Grips: Imperial lockons
Front wheel: Dice TwoSix rim and hub 32 spokes
Rear wheel: Sun MTX 33 with Onyx hub 32 spokes
Tyres: Highroller front/ Minion Rear
Seat: Tioga DH Control (ugly but comfy - remember riding a DHer racer mate's bike in NZ that had one and thought it did the trick ).

Attachments

Last edited:

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done bud ! Would have been a cool little project - yeh. I do like some of them older rigs ( if i had the spare $ i,d like one of them big frame norco weapons - Vpp?):):):)

jamie

Likes Dirt
love the old skool, what is that thing on top of the the seat post, does it have its own post code?

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hell yeah man! I miss retro riggs. my 1997 raceline DH xtreme had a seat the same as yours. and it was the coolest thing on the bike back in the day, you could have your girlfriend on the back and a case of beer strapped to the front with room to spare!
keep up the good work man

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this bike is of the chain!!! i absolutely love it, back in the day when the brand Kona actually had some respect

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Mad! The down tube shape seems to be flavour of the month at the moment!

You just need to track down the rasta-coloured Stinky now!

nsr077

Likes Dirt
I LOVE IT.. used to dream about owning a stinky 9 when i was a kid - sadly high school and no cash conspired to keep it just a dream.. CONGRATS, MAKE SURE YOU RACE IT...

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice bike mate, I'm still commuting and riding XC on a 10 year old stinky dee-lux myself.