Older SUV, what's most reliable

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Hey guys. Any mechanics or similar out there.
I'm looking at spending 8ish grand on an oldish SUV. Which ones are known for their reliability. People reckon a good Mazda or Toyota are the go, true or not.
Would you touch something like a koleos or BMW with under 200,000 on the clock.
Please start with true knowledge and not what ol Bob at the pub said.
Are Chrysler and dodge as bad as all the reviews, they look nice. Cheers for any knowledge passed on
I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Challenger that i use as a tow vehicle for my work trailer. Bought it 3 years ago for $3000, it's got 290something thou on the clock, but apart from the window tint going weird and the aircon pulley shitting itself, it's been totally reliable. It's a petrol V6 auto. Uses a little oil, also to be expected from a car of it's age. My trailer is a tonne fully loaded and i spend about $50pw in fuel as a mobile dog groomer servicing Coffs and surrounds.

tobbogonist

a registered member
I know nothing about cars so pinch the salt.
Have had an 06 Forrester for 4 years. 230000 on the clock. Had a wheel bearing go and thats been it.
Been a great car. Two bikes fit in the back with seats down/front wheels off. Has managed to go anywhere my mates big 60 grand 4wd's go. Roofracks for kayaks. Have slept in the back many times. Slept in the back next to the bike on a few occasions.
Only problem is the frameless windows, a bit of noise on the highway. Nothing i can't drown out with a bit of Creedance.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I know nothing about cars so pinch the salt.
Have had an 06 Forrester for 4 years. 230000 on the clock. Had a wheel bearing go and thats been it.
Been a great car. Two bikes fit in the back with seats down/front wheels off. Has managed to go anywhere my mates big 60 grand 4wd's go. Roofracks for kayaks. Have slept in the back many times. Slept in the back next to the bike on a few occasions.
Only problem is the frameless windows, a bit of noise on the highway. Nothing i can't drown out with a bit of Creedance.
I bought the Hubs a 20yro Forester as a work runaround, it's a ripper. Fun car to drive.

tobbogonist

a registered member
I was looking at getting another one round the same age. I t-boned an old lady (in a car, with my car) a while ago and bent the chassis. Can't get it roadworthy now. Its fine till i move to Tas.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Never owned a Honda, but mates who do, have found them the most reliable vehicles they’ve ever owned.
I drive my wife’s 2007 CRV most of the time. Over 300,000km and still going strong. Done a few trips across the Nullarbor and more off roading than it has any business doing. Wouldn’t hesitate to get another one.

stirk

Burner
Hilux are the worst for Covid tax. People are taking the piss asking $25k for a mid 90’s model with 250,000+ on the clock.
I bought my 2013 a week before Covid hit the fan. Could get $6-8k more than I paid without blinking today.
I'm not entirely sure why covid may have influenced prices of old 4wd. Jon uncertainty may play into it so people are buying second hand instead of signing up to a 5 year deal on new.

Some idiot was trying to sell an old 4runner like mine for $20k, I had a rant, didn't read any comments

But hey, on the positive side we have cars that keep going up in value, classic cars. Any 4wd show and shines on the horizon?

stirk

Burner
@safreek

What do you expect from a modernish 'suV'?

S = how many balls or bikes can I chuck into the back. No reference to actually being a sports car.

U = should actually be a ute, but most aren't and cannot transport your mates fridge so maybe a positive there.

V = Toyota

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what ever happened to station wagons ?
so practical , drive like a car , put shit in .
or a panel van .
I’ll go now .
my only input is my sister has a misty v6 outlander , 200, n something kms , bought for under $10k goes well she only bought to replace her almost ( but totally fucked original x trail which had just under 400 km on it .
keep in mind she is a50 yr old female with minimal mechanical sympathy .
so they must be okay enginerding wise .
- short anecdote , she and her man friend drove the Alaskan Hwy from west virginia to nome , in a Toyama thing ,like a hilux .
it was only on their return in winter that they both realised the car wasn’t actually a 4 wd - it had been disconnected by the seller .....she never checked either

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I had a 2008 or so outlander at work I inherited from my former boss. VRX, 3L 6 cylinder. I drove it like it was stolen for 100k km. Couldn't break it. Suspension and wheels were all wrong, the design team thought it was going to be a soft off roader, like all SUV's back then It ate up potholes for breakfast with the factory suspension and wheels package. In FWD mode, the torque steer upon 1st and 2nd gear change at full throttle was down right scary, best left in AWD mode.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I'm not entirely sure why covid may have influenced prices of old 4wd. Jon uncertainty may play into it so people are buying second hand instead of signing up to a 5 year deal on new.

Some idiot was trying to sell an old 4runner like mine for $20k, I had a rant, didn't read any comments

But hey, on the positive side we have cars that keep going up in value, classic cars. Any 4wd show and shines on the horizon?
people have had trouble getting new cars, others who are uncertain are also not buying new, meaning fewer old cars around on used market , people are avoiding trains in melb, so are looking for cars and prices have skyrocketed -not just 4wd but across the board

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I had a 2008 or so outlander at work I inherited from my former boss. VRX, 3L 6 cylinder. I drove it like it was stolen for 100k km. Couldn't break it. Suspension and wheels were all wrong, the design team thought it was going to be a soft off roader, like all SUV's back then It ate up potholes for breakfast with the factory suspension and wheels package. In FWD mode, the torque steer upon 1st and 2nd gear change at full throttle was down right scary, best left in AWD mode.
I got a 2005 Honda CRV as a loan car once. Holy shitballs that thing was fun. Not intentionally I'm sure, but it had just the right amount of bodyroll to throw great Scandinavian flicks (even on asphalt) and holds a shallow slide beautifully. Even if you did really overcook it the AWD would clunk in and get you back on track. Total dunger puttering about in traffic, but hilarious fun on a country backroad. I seriously thought about buying one afterwards!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I got a 2005 Honda CRV as a loan car once. Holy shitballs that thing was fun. Not intentionally I'm sure, but it had just the right amount of bodyroll to throw great Scandinavian flicks (even on asphalt) and holds a shallow slide beautifully. Even if you did really overcook it the AWD would clunk in and get you back on track. Total dunger puttering about in traffic, but hilarious fun on a country backroad. I seriously thought about buying one afterwards!
Swap AWD for stability control and you've described my Coloado perfectly.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hilux are the worst for Covid tax. People are taking the piss asking $25k for a mid 90’s model with 250,000+ on the clock.
I bought my 2013 a week before Covid hit the fan. Could get $6-8k more than I paid without blinking today.
Fkn tell me about it. I sold my Mercedes Sprinter for OK money 6 months pre-covid. With all the #vanlife shit that has emerged now I could get twice what I paid for it 4 years ago. #ragrets

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Swap AWD for stability control and you've described my Coloado perfectly.
2007 SanteFe is also way better then you’d ever expect. Superbly mannered, I had a hire one doing amazing slides in the wet with traction control off. The 2.7L awd was a hoot. That was the first Hyundai that made me think “wow these guys are progressing so rapidly, they will threaten the big Japanese manufacturers in years to come”