Olympian relieved with Mountain Cross win

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
CANBERRA: Jared Graves claimed his first national four cross title today after a four year drought. The BMX Olympic finalist was elated after a convincing win at the National Mountain Bike Championships in Canberra. The Toowoomba rider can now add this win to his recent World Cup win on the same course.

Often on the podium at World Championships and World Cups, the 26 year was equally delighted with an Australian jersey.

“I haven’t won one since 2005,” he explained. “I was a touch late on the gate but I got the gas down and just really tried to rider smooth with elbows wide.”

Second was Graves’ protégé, Sam Willoughby, in only his second mountain bike race

According to Graves, Willoughby has proven he is ready for the big league.

“It’s unreal to have him (Willoughby) up there. He’s an awesome kid too and he’s like a little brother I'd never had. He’s beaten me at BMX a month ago so he’s shown he is ready to step it up.”

Graves win kick starts his World Cup campaign his aim to return to Australia in September to win the UCI Mountain Bike & Trials World Championships.

“It’s a big confidence boost,” said Graves about his win on the World Championship course. “I know what I have to do to win.”

Defending national champion and BMX Olympian, Luke Madill, suffered a puncture and finished behind Ryan Henderson in fourth place.

Canberra’s Caroline Buchanan won her fourth national title in classic style today but the 18 year old admitted she was more nervous than usual.

“Even after winning the World Cup here with over 7 000 spectators, I was actually more nervous today,” she said. “I've only been on a new bike over the last two weeks. Also the track was a bit rough.”

BMX silver world medallist, Lauren Reynolds placed second in her mountain bike race debut while Brisbane’s Sarsha Huntington claimed third. Townsville’s Rachel Bracken rode well in to finish in fourth place in her debut.

The national championships continue tomorrow with the olympic cross country, bicycle trials and the downhill seeding run.

Full results here

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

Attachments