Olympic BMX first in Australia - “Luke’s Track out the Back”

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
With only 136 days to go (this Tuesday) before the Beijing 2008 Olympics, the first Olympic sized BMX track has been built in Australia. Luke Madill from Penrith, west of Sydney had built a replica of the track he is hoping to race on in Beijing in August when the sport is included for the first time as an Olympic sport.

Madill is no ordinary BMX rider, currently on the High Performance Squad, and ranked fifth in the world, Madill is hoping that having his own training venue will give him the edge.

It has taken Luke, his father Roger and track builders Brett Barnes and Geoff Cartwright over six months to complete the track which features an 8 metre high start ramp. Madill’s track replicates the track riders will race on at the Beijing Olympics in August. It has the same start ramp height, slope and all of the jumps are identical. This track is half the width but every other feature of the track is the same.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
BMX Australia

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Looks niice, saw it on the news. He gets some serious speed down that ramp. I wonder how far the first gap he jumps is?

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wouldnt that infringe on the rules or something especially seeing as he built the track AFTER the beijing track was built?

anyways best of luck to him and kamikaze and jared graves they should own the bmx hopefully

Jordo_c

Likes Dirt
kool

kool, that sounds sick i didin't know that but what date do the BMX races begin i heard it was around the 22nd or something can anyone confirm

Jimass

Eats Squid
Go to youtube and type in Luke Madill and virtually all the videos are of him on the track. Its epic.
Thats actually wrong. Its epic-ally epic-ness with a whole lotta total epic in there. Thats just how epic the start ramp is.