One bike to do...Most of it.

Aaron547

Likes Dirt
I was in the same position as you ~2 years ago mate. I was a die hard DH only guy, reluctantly thinking about ditching the DH bike simply in order to be able to get more riding in. Around the same time, my riding buddies went through the same ordeal.

Now I'm riding a Nukeproof Mega, while my old DH riding buddies are now also on similar bikes. We're still riding heaps of DH on our new "do it all" bikes, and still getting the same thrill from DH. In terms of speed, some of our more unique shuttle tracks are actually faster on the new bikes. However, the smaller bikes do run out of legs quicker on the rougher, faster, traditional style DH trails (obviously). I've never ridden You Yangs, but from what I've seen in videos I think you would be fine.

In terms of uphill, people are always impressed with the new generation "do it all" bikes, especially those from a DH background. The ability to pedal for hours without completely hating life has allowed us to discover a heap of epic trails, far away from shuttle roads. We ride ours on the local XC loops a fair bit too, with no real desire to be riding more suitable XC bikes instead. But then again, we don't give a shit about setting Strava records on flat hardpack trails - perhaps if we did we could say that these bikes don't pedal well enough.

I think the move to a "AM" or "Enduro" bike would be the best move for you mate, as it was for me. Everyone in this thread seems to be pretty certain that you should get whatever bike they are riding, but I don't reckon you can too wrong with any of the current popular bikes. I dare say a burlier ~160mm, 26 inch bike would better for you (Spec Enduro, Rocky Mountain Slayer, Commencal Meta SX, Yeti SB66, Nukeproof Mega AM...).

Good luck with the decisions mate.

Edit: As an interesting side note - I've been able to do so much more riding on the new bike, that I'm now quicker than I ever was on the DH bike, on any track. And I'm much fitter and healthier. At the end of the day, the decision which gets you riding more is the best one!

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
I was in the same position as you ~2 years ago mate. I was a die hard DH only guy, reluctantly thinking about ditching the DH bike simply in order to be able to get more riding in. Around the same time, my riding buddies went through the same ordeal.

Now I'm riding a Nukeproof Mega, while my old DH riding buddies are now also on similar bikes. We're still riding heaps of DH on our new "do it all" bikes, and still getting the same thrill from DH. In terms of speed, some of our more unique shuttle tracks are actually faster on the new bikes. However, the smaller bikes do run out of legs quicker on the rougher, faster, traditional style DH trails (obviously). I've never ridden You Yangs, but from what I've seen in videos I think you would be fine.

In terms of uphill, people are always impressed with the new generation "do it all" bikes, especially those from a DH background. The ability to pedal for hours without completely hating life has allowed us to discover a heap of epic trails, far away from shuttle roads. We ride ours on the local XC loops a fair bit too, with no real desire to be riding more suitable XC bikes instead. But then again, we don't give a shit about setting Strava records on flat hardpack trails - perhaps if we did we could say that these bikes don't pedal well enough.

I think the move to a "AM" or "Enduro" bike would be the best move for you mate, as it was for me. Everyone in this thread seems to be pretty certain that you should get whatever bike they are riding, but I don't reckon you can too wrong with any of the current popular bikes. I dare say a burlier ~160mm, 26 inch bike would better for you (Spec Enduro, Rocky Mountain Slayer, Commencal Meta SX, Yeti SB66, Nukeproof Mega AM...).

Good luck with the decisions mate.

Edit: As an interesting side note - I've been able to do so much more riding on the new bike, that I'm now quicker than I ever was on the DH bike, on any track. And I'm much fitter and healthier. At the end of the day, the decision which gets you riding more is the best one!
Perfectly said Aaron 547, couldn't of put it better myself.

effarr

Likes Dirt
I went through a similar realisation myself; I was probably riding my DH bike once a week at best, usually once every two weeks because I was lacking motivation to lug all 21kg of it around...

I finished building my new Banshee Rune Wednesday last week, and have ridden it every day since and can't wait to get back on it after work. There's a lot to be said about a versatile 160mm trail bike! At 14.5kg, the Rune is 7kg less than my old Giant, making it a lot more friendly on the flat and uphill sections, but without a lot of compromise coming back down. In most aspects it is stiffer and much smoother than the old bike. No doubt I'm becoming a better rider for it also (mainly due to getting out much more frequently)!

As Aaron said, pick a bike from the group you're talking about, whichever one you may choose, and you won't be disappointed.

Leon

BM Epic

Eats Squid
One of the reasons i didnt want to add to this thread, everybody is just giving advice on what bike they are riding, its very predictable, from what i have seen and know, ibis mojo hd in 160 would be awesome, mate had one and it was a weapon, also the Enduro in 26, and finally a Nomad, i have ridden a couple of mates ones, ranging from 2006, 2008 up til last years model, man are they a good bike!...i ride a stumpy evo??

effarr

Likes Dirt
One of the reasons i didnt want to add to this thread, everybody is just giving advice on what bike they are riding, its very predictable...
effarr said:
Pick a bike from the group you're talking about and you won't be disappointed.
Aaron547 said:
At the end of the day, the decision which gets you riding more is the best one!
The point is, they're all great bikes. Pick a geometry set that suits, get it, and just ride...

moorey

call me Mia
One of the reasons i didnt want to add to this thread, everybody is just giving advice on what bike they are riding, its very predictable, from what i have seen and know, ibis mojo hd in 160 would be awesome, mate had one and it was a weapon, also the Enduro in 26, and finally a Nomad, i have ridden a couple of mates ones, ranging from 2006, 2008 up til last years model, man are they a good bike!...i ride a stumpy evo??
Not everyone.

Last edited:

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
sponsorship...the system works.
Have you ridden a jekyll with the 160mm forks whether it be fox 36's or equivalent? One of the easiest bikes to drift and hook along on.

As for sponsorship. .. are you trying to allude to saying that jerome is so good that he would win on anything including a crap bike? Obviously he must not have any true competition then. As to be a front runner, you need to be the best but also need to have a bike that can match.

Prime example. .. rossi... meant to be the best ever yet sit him on a ducati and he struggled to podium.. even with stupid sponsorship dollars being spent

Im not saying that the jekyll is the best bike around but it is well and truly a front runner yet no one ever seems to consider it as a viable alternative over here.

Last edited:

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Remedy is a great all rounder or if you want to go down a bit more than you go up the slash is a sic bike and well worth a look. The remedy is a great option as you have to option to slacken the geometry with treks evo link thing they do on it.
I've got mate on a remedy and he throws it off anything and everything and thing just takes it everything from DH to XC.

Q dog

Likes Dirt
Its almost impossible to go wrong with 6 inch bikes now days. You also have the new gt force and kona process due soon.

Likes Bikes
Interesting thread, mainly because there are a bunch of riders going through same evolution. I bought a Comm Supreme Mini DH back in 2009 thinking i would spec it up to do the AM thing. But darn the rig is so sluggish and soaks up all the energy uphill. I looking to swap now for a Rocky Mountain Slayer or the Meta Sx

good luck

mitchy_

Llama calmer
commencal meta 55's are pretty sweet. there is a nice one for sale at the moment, i think the owner has to fund their drug addiction... *cough*

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
Wow, certainly got more replies than I anticipated haha
But its sounding like 6 inch is the way to go, though unfortunately I'm not gonna end up with enough cash to purchase something along the lines of an SB66 or nomad (in terms of purchasing new, but from what I can see there aren't heaps for sale used at the moment). I suppose the biggest challenge now is finding a way to sell the old rigs, I'm not sure if there are any tips on that. Anyway, there were some really insightful posts, so thanks to everyone who had some input.
The Meta SX is looking like the most viable option at the current moment, but was wondering if anyone's got anything to say about the fox 34 float's? Good forks? Nice adjustability?
Cheers guys

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Subtle Mitch...very subtle:pop2:
Yeah not everyone, but that one is a beauty,if i had the money, i would definitely help with your addiction, go back through other threads on this subject and read it, nearly everybody says "get my bike, it's the best"! hehehe!

crim 87

Likes Dirt
I'm going to make an assumption, and tell me to eat a dick if I'm wrong...is it your first serious bike? Soooo many people I talk to who love their 29", haven't ever owned anything else and have nothing to compare it to. (I'm the same, though, having ridden solely 26" for last 17 years)
This isn't a 29" attack, I just think that as an AM bike, they are not yet the weapon if choice.

No not my first bike had scott spark 70 before that but kept braking things on it e.g the forks and other bits and pieces. before that had a couple of giant hardtails to. So i bit the bullet and decided to buy something that was going to take everything i was going to throw at it. it climbs awsome for its weight and size and the thing just rips downhill. have ridden a few other 29's but the enduro doesn't feel like one which may sound wierd but it honestly doesn't. its easy to turn , very flickable to jump and manual and easy to bunny hop. just choose the bike which you think will best suit your riding style/terrain and you wont be disappointed there are so many good bikes out these days its crazy

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to make an assumption, and tell me to eat a dick if I'm wrong...is it your first serious bike? Soooo many people I talk to who love their 29", haven't ever owned anything else and have nothing to compare it to. (I'm the same, though, having ridden solely 26" for last 17 years)
This isn't a 29" attack, I just think that as an AM bike, they are not yet the weapon if choice.
Was wondering if you had ridden an Enduro 29?? I am guessing not....