Oneup Carbon bars

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
Hey,

I just got some Oneup carbon bars and installed the brake lever clamps on at 4nm and for some reason it looks like the clamp has dug into the top coat of black.
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this with Oneup. It doesn’t look like it will hurt the performance but was just interested if this was normal.

now to be safe have re done to 3nm
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Attachments

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Send the pics to One Up. They are pretty good at warranty from what I have heard. Looks to be clear coat only bit better to be safe than sorry!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Hey,

I just got some Oneup carbon bars and installed the brake lever clamps on at 4nm and for some reason it looks like the clamp has dug into the top coat of black.
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this with Oneup. It doesn’t look like it will hurt the performance but was just interested if this was normal.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
brake and shift lever clamps don't need too much. @Mywifesirrational used to recommend using a bit of plumbers tape or the like - under the spot where you clamp, but in any case to only tighten enough to stop the levers moving around. That way, if you stack, only the lever/clamp moves, and the tape may give some protection from the clamps scoring the carbon, causing less stress on the bars. I think that was the idea.
Carbon grit paste if not using the tape.
Less torque on clamps on carbon bars is a very good idea. Many people over torque brake/shifter/grip clamps on carbon, and that's where it will snap.

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Hey,

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
My OneUp bars look the same.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That way, if you stack, only the lever/clamp moves, and the tape may give some protection from the clamps scoring the carbon, causing less stress on the bars. I think that was the idea.
Totally agree. Bar clamps should only be tight enough so they can be moved by hand but not loose enough to move around. It will come on handy one day when you endo.

I haven't done the tape underneath trick but sounds sensible.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This is what you don’t want to see - my Giant carbon bars after the Guide lever rotated during a hard stack... This and the impact damage through the mangled grip one end is why I binned them...

Minlak

custom titis
This is what you don’t want to see - my Giant carbon bars after the Guide lever rotated during a hard stack... This and the impact damage through the mangled grip one end is why I binned them...

Pfffttttt - its not like you have kids to worry about :) - keep riding them

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Pfffttttt - its not like you have kids to worry about :) - keep riding them
I took my spoonful of concrete and rode the remaining 30kms of the Epic Trail at Buller after a massive high speed otb in the early part of the trail. But i considered that pushing my luck - swapped them for some Spank Oozy alloy ones and stopped having to think about bars :)