Online anonymity

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Recently my children of 9 and 11 were playing an online game when it was brought to my attention that another member went by the name of pedobear, which confusingly got my children's interest. So it got me thinking, is it okay to hide behind a username and remain anonymous when becoming involved in an online community? Are we sub consciously assuming another identity that we dont have to take responsibility for? If a person came in contact with our children during their day to day life and introduced themselves as pedobear, there would be outrage, followed by a very hefty choke slam. However in reality, only sub human waste would identify themselves as that openly in a community. So why should it be any different online? I'm sure you've all read your fair share of comments on forums(you tube particularly comes to mind) where people will run off at the mouth and make the most outrageous comments without fear of reprisal. Should there be some accountability for our online personalities?

Minlak

custom titis
Yes and no .....

I think the online "nickname" is a carry over from the big scary internet that will steal your identity and take all your money from the bank. This seperation of self was drummed into you. Never use your real name, never give your date of birth etc.

In regards to people that are nasty and mean and hide behind the internet these people in real life are just scum the internet just gives them a wider audience. They should be accountable but on the same side some people need to harden up and not get so butt hurt as well. With the direct interaction removed subtle sarcasm and wit can be almost impossible to detect.

I for one online am exactly who I am offline.

moorey

call me Mia
Does the woman in your avatar know you're perving on her arse?
You can't stop people from being anonymous. That's the nature of the interwebs. Personally, I don't like it, and have always been very open about who I am....which is pretty daft given the shit I say :behindsofa:

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Does the woman in your avatar know you're perving on her arse?
You can't stop people from being anonymous. That's the nature of the interwebs. Personally, I don't like it, and have always been very open about who I am....which is pretty daft given the shit I say :behindsofa:
You assume too much my good man. I prefer to call it admiring. And of course anyone with integrity doesn't have a problem baking themselves up over their comments. You on the other hand...:friendly_wink:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Recently my children of 9 and 11 were playing an online game when it was brought to my attention that another member went by the name of pedobear, which confusingly got my children's interest. So it got me thinking, is it okay to hide behind a username and remain anonymous when becoming involved in an online community? Are we sub consciously assuming another identity that we dont have to take responsibility for? If a person came in contact with our children during their day to day life and introduced themselves as pedobear, there would be outrage, followed by a very hefty choke slam. However in reality, only sub human waste would identify themselves as that openly in a community. So why should it be any different online? I'm sure you've all read your fair share of comments on forums(you tube particularly comes to mind) where people will run off at the mouth and make the most outrageous comments without fear of reprisal. Should there be some accountability for our online personalities?
Heh, isn't there footage of a guy in a pedobear costume getting detained at a comic convention or such?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like the annonymity. Gives me the chance to shrug off all the crap that keeps me in check in the real world. That said I'm not all that different...and I certainly don't believe I am anonymous from those whom we should really worry about knowing too much.

As for pedobear he is a YouTube sensation. Its all pretty wrong and poor taste, but clowns try and justify it. Apparently he is a spokesperson for child protection and a way of keeping children and parents aware of the dangers of predators on the web. Personally I think he is all about cheap laughs and shock value. And yep I still sometimes imagine him in the Chuck Tests advert, when the woman screams there's a bear in my bed.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think the pedobear is a joke from a YouTube channel. Not sure though.
I think the concept of anonymity is one that is a little debatable. I like the idea of been able to express views and not need to disclose my information, in a society that is very Impersonal these days been able to keep your life private is a positive. Lets be honest though if we were to use names just because you need to share a name does not mean they will use thier real name, the only way you could inforce such a thing would be to identify the person essentially having a giant database for people that the computer can recognise. I'm much less a fan of that.

If someone was to pose a serious threat over the Internet they can be tracked.
It is pretty scary though we have been rapidly developing technology while privacy and protection is seriously lacking. Kids and the Internet is a scary prospect.

We need to Impliment in school a class that teaches privacy and control of modern technology. If we are going to embrace this technology we need to teach those how to use it safely.

I also thing kids should be taugh code.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Of all the filthy shitbags you come across in your daily life, not many pack the attitude that fifty percent of the douchebags who play games online have. I play many games online and mute every person out of the game that I don't know as I hate hearing the massive loads of bullshit that people talk. Some of the usernames are crude but for you to see a user going by the name Pedobear and playing games with your young kids is cause for concern. Yeah, it's probably a reference to the funny haha character but seriously? People would choose that name as their online persona? What a dickhead. For me, a good online game is played with skilled players who play for the same reason you do: The other guys are good at it and present a challenge but they are gracious in any result.
For what it's worth, I'd report that user to whichever network your kids are using (Playstation, Xbox....whichever it is). They take this stuff pretty seriously and do act on it.

I go by the same user name on every online and social account and I act how I would if I was standing in front of you. I've met tons of people off this site and after conversing with them online on the forums for years it is easy to just keep on chatting away like you already know each other.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
We have more of a problem of paranoia and fear than we have real threats.

I had never heard of the character, but my first thought was, it's a kid making up a name they think will be funny - having a go at paranoia .

We live in no a very safe world, but unfortunately it has news services whose express desire is to make you lock your doors.

But yes forums are an opportunity for people to act like douches without fear of physical violence.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
No.

Internets should remain anonymous.

And to be quite honest, the Internets isn't really that anonymous, someone can easily be tracked down from a chat room if you set up a blank website designed to catch IP addresses and store them, than all you gotta do is tunnel back on that IP down to modem IP level and hey presto you got their address if they weren't posting from a VPN..

moorey

call me Mia
Before it was a meme, then youtube hit, I believe pedobear was actually used a warning of inappropriate content on forums and news groups.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Before it was a meme, then youtube hit, I believe pedobear was actually used a warning of inappropriate content on forums and news groups.
Looks like you'll be getting a new custom signature old buddy old pal. ;)

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Of all the filthy shitbags you come across in your daily life, not many pack the attitude that fifty percent of the douchebags who play games online have. I play many games online and mute every person out of the game that I don't know as I hate hearing the massive loads of bullshit that people talk. Some of the usernames are crude but for you to see a user going by the name Pedobear and playing games with your young kids is cause for concern. Yeah, it's probably a reference to the funny haha character but seriously? People would choose that name as their online persona? What a dickhead. For me, a good online game is played with skilled players who play for the same reason you do: The other guys are good at it and present a challenge but they are gracious in any result.
For what it's worth, I'd report that user to whichever network your kids are using (Playstation, Xbox....whichever it is). They take this stuff pretty seriously and do act on it.

I go by the same user name on every online and social account and I act how I would if I was standing in front of you. I've met tons of people off this site and after conversing with them online on the forums for years it is easy to just keep on chatting away like you already know each other.

I can confirm this, he even tried to offer me free candy and show me a remote track when we met in Queenstown. Why he wanted to take a person who didnt know the trails to a quiet area Im not sure, plenty of locals that could have shown him....such a nice young man