Opinion needed! Enter here

Ok so not sure whether this should be in part and stuff but...

I ride a norco manik with 140 vans on the front basically as a freeride bike the problem i'm having is that at the end of the day my knees are starting to harp on like there getting some kind of raw deal. So it's time to get something that will help me out with the big hits and maybe stop the back end shaking around like a cat passing a peach seed.

Things i still want are... basically the bike listed above
Thing i don't want are... the problems listed above

Assuming that there is no magical fix that gives me both those things I'm gonna need your help, so lay it on me, whats your opinion, i know you all have one thats what forums are.

*Edit* Manik.... yes its a hard tail

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Unfortunately parts can help but they are not designed for it, they are designed for making the ride better.
The pain or soreness you feel is a rider problem and personally I'd say it's time to do some training.
Few things proir though.
First up though make sure you have a frame that fits you, this will hangs your leg position and can have a big affect on strain.
Second make sure your position is good if you use clip less pedals try other positions.
You pedal technique could be a cause too.

Now exercises, strengthen the knee, quads and calfs as well as core, to help stabilize you but also improve thier endurance and power. Maybe take a day or a week off you might have a over use injury.
If you have significant pain see a dr about it prior to doing heavy lifting for strength or even before resistance and light weight high rep training for endurance.

Don't be stiff on the bike either relax.

Training sounds good but i hardly have enough time to ride as it is and on a easy day without any drops or the old huck to flat's they don't really bother me. Surely there is a frame that will ride near on the same but take the edge of the big hits and hopefully cut down on the rear end rattle a bit so i can keep the back wheel on the ground.

Buying new knees is the other option but no one has them in my colour and I'm not cutting around is some nasty-ass colour knees!

driftking

Wheel size expert
Training sounds good but i hardly have enough time to ride as it is and on a easy day without any drops or the old huck to flat's they don't really bother me. Surely there is a frame that will ride near on the same but take the edge of the big hits and hopefully cut down on the rear end rattle a bit so i can keep the back wheel on the ground.

Buying new knees is the other option but no one has them in my colour and I'm not cutting around is some nasty-ass colour knees!
Resistance training doesn't need to be long actually to stop testosterone and Gh falling you shouldn't workout more than 45-1hour anyway.most exercise you could do while watching tv at night.

In terms of the chatter and wheel on the ground that can be a design issue but is more likely set up. If you have limited suspension adjustments a new more adjustable shock can help this but you need to understand how to set it up.

Have you got the correct sag/spring rates in the suspension and what suspension is it using?
Just realized the bike you are riding....Hardtail, that's gonna be a issue yes getting a new dual suspension bike will help this.
If you have the money and are rising downhill get one. That said training the muscles can still help.

Last edited:

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I was having the same issue.

Sore knee's

Learn to spin, Peddle faster in lower gears. It reduces the load and stress at the knee's and lower back.

Worked wonders for me.

All Mountain setup is never going to be ideal for long rides however look at it like this. Sore knee's are like the straw that broke the camels back. You may only to reduce the stress a little bit to fix the problem. Not the whole issues.

Hydraulic seatpost, Lift it for the climbs and flats and drop it for the fun. Will also help a lot.

Road bike will let you body learn to ride better.

Ok so i may not have explained what i ride this bike for clearly enough so i'll just do it now. Freeride really, even if there isn't much dedicated trails in oz yet. Either way ride the light DH and the flowy trails with kickers. I only ride uphill to get to the top (never for the fun of it) and i got strait up the fire trails.

That being said i think a road bike would be good for my all round fitness anyway, probably no a bad idea Dusty but again I'm not sure that i have time for it.

Resistance training? That's with the theraband ay? They gave me some of that when i popped my shoulder for the fifth time maybe i'll fish it out and find some training plans. However more to my interest is when you said "Hardtail, that's gonna be a issue yes getting a new dual suspension bike will help this"....Any suggestions on that? type of dually that is.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Resistance training? That's with the theraband ay? They gave me some of that when i popped my shoulder for the fifth time maybe i'll fish it out and find some training plans. However more to my interest is when you said "Hardtail, that's gonna be a issue yes getting a new dual suspension bike will help this"....Any suggestions on that? type of dually that is.
Let me go into more detail

The hardtail its self isn't necessarily a issue though the force it will place on your knees will higher. So you still need to train the body to handle the forces it just means that for a hardtail you need to be able to handle more force as you don't have suspension for it to be absorbed by. you can still use a hardtail with no pain but it will take training and maybe riding changes, learning to pick smoother lines and flow with the trail will help.

The type of dually I guess will depend on what you think you need and want, Some people go the full out 8inch fr/dh rig others will opt for shorter travel stuff. it just depends on what you feel you need and what geometry you are looking for. not riding up hills I would lean towards slopestyle/DH/gravity fr bikes.

Resistance can be with bands, towels, weights (body or external) basically anything that creates a consistent force that you need to resist against. Resistance tends to be slower reps or stationary hold for time periods. The level of resistance will depend on your level of fitness, bands and slow reps are something I like the idea of as you are moving the muscle throughout a range of movement while been forced to resist and be stable through the movement.

Weight training can also help as it is a type of resistance training, for this issue I would assume you will be in the high rep low weight range.
15+ endurance 30-50% of 1RM
8-12 hypertrophy or building size. 70-80%+ of 1RM
6-10 power 70-80% of 1RM
1-5 max strength 80-100% of 1RM

There is some cross over with rep numbers and % of 1RM If I have time later and remember i will cross check the values and re edit.

It is hard to say how much weight you should use as most recommendations go on 1RM, your 1 rep max is as it sounds the most you can lift for one rep with proper form. Also keep workouts to under 1 hour if possible. At 45-1h testosterone begins to decline.
While i could go into energy systems and the way the rep ranges affect the bodies energy path ways and fibers differently I wont as I don't think it is necessary

Disclaimer: I am not a professional so any information I have written cannot be taken as 100% correct, I have just obtained most this from my own internet and reading books on the subjects, it is something I enjoy to learn about, therefore any information you do decide to use from my post is at your own risk.As with any exercise you should only exercise within your means and if needed see a medical professional for assessment prior to undergoing new workouts.

Last edited:

ando120

Likes Dirt
could buy a dh? like i bought a Giant Glory 01 (the one i'm selling) and i basically do freeride on that but now i race i wanted a demo, so thats why my bike is in such good condition because i didnt really race it.. but to the point, i'd get a glory or anything like that and use it. 8inch travel front and rear unlike the manik which is hardtail isnt it? if not theres 60mm more travel.. which is alot! and could help with big hits. if you dont want triple clamps you could get a second hand glory for $1700 shipped and buy for about 600 more a different set of forks like second hand totems or something alike. hope i helped.

P.s. 1700 shipped is my selling price, prices do vary

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to stay hardtail, get a steel frame. On-one, or Ragley, there is pretty good choice for trail hardtails that you can run up to 160mm forks on.

Or, be realistic about the type or riding you do and the pain you are having, and get a dually.

user name

Likes Dirt
I to used to suffer bad knee pain and sometimes still do. The main cause of this i found was running my saddle too low, particularly on my Norco team trials. A low saddle is excellent for the hits, jumps a descents, but when it comes to actually sitting down and pedaling for the trails and hills it will really knock your knees about (fit or unfit) IMHO.

Wellsey
If you want to stay hardtail, get a steel frame. On-one, or Ragley, there is pretty good choice for trail hardtails that you can run up to 160mm forks on.

Or, be realistic about the type or riding you do and the pain you are having, and get a dually.
However more to my interest is when you said "Hardtail, that's gonna be a issue yes getting a new dual suspension bike will help this"....Any suggestions on that? type of dually that is.
Yep pretty sure i'm happy to be realistic and get a dually... any suggestion?

Thanks Ando but a glory has to much travel.

Been having a bit of a look that some of these, transition doubles, NS sodas, kona bass has anyone run one with a 140mm fork? How's it go?

I to used to suffer bad knee pain and sometimes still do. The main cause of this i found was running my saddle too low, particularly on my Norco team trials. A low saddle is excellent for the hits, jumps a descents, but when it comes to actually sitting down and pedaling for the trails and hills it will really knock your knees about (fit or unfit) IMHO.
Yeah i figured that one out so now i cut around with my seat post raised fair up my clacker, seems to have solved the stress problem on my knees for the up hill but once i put it back down and head down the hill the a few big hits and i feel it again.