Orange Five creaking??

gerrym

Squid
My 2013 Orange Five is creaking badly by the end of almost every ride. I grease and lube everything before each ride and its quiet, but an hour into the ride and its at it again. Anyone else know anything about this?

clockworked

Like an orange
My 2013 Orange Five is creaking badly by the end of almost every ride. I grease and lube everything before each ride and its quiet, but an hour into the ride and its at it again. Anyone else know anything about this?
do you loctite the bolts after tightening? they could be coming loose through the ride

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
I had one of the older Orange sub 5s. It had a mystery creak. Tuned out it was the deraileur hanger. Had to tighten , grease and use a good shimano squewer to eliminate it.
Other Places mysterious sounds come from.
Grease the through axel threads if you have one of those out back.
Lube where the cassette interfaces with the free hub.
Tighten the cassette lock ring.
Lock tire your swing arm bolts.
grease your pedal threads. People often overlook the pedals.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it's a threaded BB then take it out, clean the threads and re-grease. I find this to be the main culprit to all my squeaks over the years.

moorey

call me Mia
I loctire nothing. Never. Ever. Nor do I grease threads that people bang on about. I keep things clean and tight, and never have the issues people seem to get:noidea:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Also check your pedals. Remove, grease threads and reinstall. I had a dry pedal thread that would do this. After eliminating everything else lol

gerrym

Squid
Thanks Guys, I'll strip it tomorrow and give it all a grease. Bit unsure about the loctite thing, but when i think about it the derailleur screws do losses quite easily.

boysik

Pro Rider
Are you using a Hope rear hub? Either QR or bolt thru?

If so try pulling the the hub end caps off and putting a little grease under them where they sit on the actual hub axle....

gerrym

Squid
Na, I've got a DT Swiss tricon at the back, and its a sealed bearings so it's not that. I'm suspecting my cassette or deralliuer hanger.

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
Nobody should have a creaky bike.
Surprised no one mentioned it , but change your Fox Forks over to a different brand, never had a creak since.

gerrym

Squid
Think I got it, the QR as a couple had suggested. DT Swiss basic skewers coming loose the longer you ride. Apparently XT or XTR, or DT Swiss RWS should sort it out.

Iainm

Likes Dirt
When they're talking about loctite they mean this stuff - Loctite 243 Threadlocker
It's really easy to use and sets in about 10 minutes. I've used it on all my shock bolts, stem bolts, rotor screws etc.

You might want to check the seat post / seat tube interface - bit of grease here might help.