orange with clips

browny_5

Likes Dirt
if people out there that ride an orange 222,223 or 224 could you help me out here im lookin at buying a single pivot downhill bike in the near future and i was wondering if you think i should run clip in pedals or flat pedals on a single pivot bike because ive been told that oranges dont go to well braking in ruff sections on downhill tracks and your feet come off so i was just wondering what people oppinions are.

thanks lots joe

dl79

Likes Dirt
I run funn flats and 5 ten shoes on my 224 and don't have a problem with my feet moving at all. I had ridden clipped in for a couple of years but changed back to flats when i bent my clip in pedals. I found I was riding faster after learning to keep my feet up with clips and transferring this over to flats. Riding the Orange will teach you to brake in the right spots rather than through a rough section or bombed out corner.

browny_5

Likes Dirt
floating disk

thanks for that hopefully it will help me i heard that you can get a floating calliper on the 224s do you know if that is true?? and how do u think they ride??

thanks joe

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I don't know of a floater for the 224. Doesn't really need it anyway. Bottom line is you can't brake when there is no weight on the back wheel.

browny_5

Likes Dirt
thanks

thanks for that is it true that the suspension wont compress or somethin when your back wheel is full locked so its not a good idea to brake in rough sections

joe

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate, i run clips on my 222, i changed to clips after a year of riding flat pedals on it. purley because i bent my flat pedal at a race and only had clips with me. and i found that they were so much better, so i havnt switched back. regardless of what pedal you run you still have to learn to ride an orange, and that will take time. but it will make you a better rider. the advantages i find with running clips is i can pick the bike up alot easier through rough of sketchy sections, i can power out of corners alot harder, and i have alot more control over the bike when it starts to get ragged.

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
I have run flats and clips on a Gemini 900, which is a similar single pivot design to the Orange, except the Orange is far more DH oriented. I found the advantages and disadvantages of either are pretty much the same as for any bike. So go with what you are more comfortable with. I always run clips now as it gives me so much more power and more control over the bike when it gets rough.

The main trick with single pivot is to learn how to use the front brake properly. I find that if I do need to brake in the rough, it often helps if I only use the front brake and don't touch the back brake at all. This is the opposite to the way a lot of guys brake in the rough, but keeps the rear suspension working so much better so you can maintain much more speed through the rough.

browny_5

Likes Dirt
ok sweet im looking at buying an orange 224 one day and im going to run it with platform pedals first then i think ill try with clipins does anybody know how much it would cost to buy a brand new set of clipin pedals and shoes i only want cheap ones just to learn how to use them and does anyone have difficulty unclipping when things go pear shaped

thanks for your help joe

Last edited:

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
I can guaruntee that when you first start riding clipped in, you will have a couple embarrassing stacks, usually when you come to a stop in front of your mates and just topple over to their laughter and riddicule. But start off with the tension screws backed off and practice clipping in and out in a car park and then do a couple of easy rides. In no time at all it will become pure instinct to twist your foot as you take your foot off the pedal. I don't even need to think about it these days.

Also, when you first start riding clipped in, you have to make a concious effort to pedal properly. Don't think about the down stroke on the pedal, that will happen automatically. But really conciously think about when you reach the bottom of the stroke, push the pedal backwards and then pull it upwards. You will instantly feel the extra power and acceleration that you get. But it will take a little while before you do this naturally.

browny_5

Likes Dirt
I can guaruntee that when you first start riding clipped in, you will have a couple embarrassing stacks, usually when you come to a stop in front of your mates and just topple over to their laughter and riddicule. But start off with the tension screws backed off and practice clipping in and out in a car park and then do a couple of easy rides. In no time at all it will become pure instinct to twist your foot as you take your foot off the pedal. I don't even need to think about it these days.

Also, when you first start riding clipped in, you have to make a concious effort to pedal properly. Don't think about the down stroke on the pedal, that will happen automatically. But really conciously think about when you reach the bottom of the stroke, push the pedal backwards and then pull it upwards. You will instantly feel the extra power and acceleration that you get. But it will take a little while before you do this naturally.
yer i had one of those stacks one day and i wasnt even using clipins my foot got stuck under one wheel and the other one was one the frame and i just fell over in front of the IGA and my mates:p. yeah when i ride now ive sort of been practising the pulling up by tilting my pedals forward a bit more so i can pull up with my shoes a bit if you under stand. im willing to practise until i get it cause i wouldnt mind getting into some XC riding for fitness do you know how much a cheap setup of clipin shoes and pedals would cost.

thanks heaps joe

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
The action is a bit different to what you have been practicing on flats, and you can't really practice it on flats. It is more a twist of your heal away from the bike, then lift. But when the clips are really loose you can just rip your foot out in panic. ;)

XC is also a much friendlier environment to practice being clipped in than DH is. :)

dl79

Likes Dirt
100-200 for clip in pedals and about the same again for shoes. Don't know if there are any really cheap sets maybe check out the for sale section for a cheap set of pedals?

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
if people out there that ride an orange 222,223 or 224 could you help me out here im lookin at buying a single pivot downhill bike in the near future and i was wondering if you think i should run clip in pedals or flat pedals on a single pivot bike because ive been told that oranges dont go to well braking in ruff sections on downhill tracks and your feet come off so i was just wondering what people oppinions are.

thanks lots joe
yeah, superman beat me to it

but, have you ever heard of Steve Peat?

browny_5

Likes Dirt
im going to try and buy a set of pedals and shoes for christmas.
yer ive know of steve peat he used to race for orange he rode clipped in didnt he??

joe

browny_5

Likes Dirt
DH set

i was looking for a pair of clip in shoes and pedals im willing to spend $200 all up. I ride DH what do people think of this package
http://torpedo7.com.au/products/66SSPNNL5
i like the shimano shoes so im most likely just looking for suggestions on the pedals but if anyone has suggeestions on the shoes feel free to shout them out.

thanks joe

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
If you want to go for Shimano and use them for DH, it really is worth going for the M647 DX over the M545.

- The cleats clip in and out better in muddy conditions
- More solid and grippy platform
- Just so much nicer to ride

Torpedo don't seem to sell them though.