Orbea Occam 29 or Tallboy thoughts and owner input required

muvro

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I'm looking at making the switch from 26 to 29 for XC racing/enduro. I currently ride a 2007 Cannondale Carbon Rush and love it. But looking to make the leap, as I've seen the speed at which others I ride with improve dramaticly. I have short stumpy arms, and run a 70mm stem on an already very short rush. So i'm a bit concerned with the length of the Orbea. But owning an Orbea Rallon and a Carbon Alma, I'd really like to keep it all in the family, with a carbon Occam. However, the carbon Tallboy on paper looks like it might be closer to the Rush geo.

So basicly, I've narrowed it down to a few bikes.

Orbea Occam 29 carbon
SC Tallboy carbon
Kona hei hei carbon

If anyone owns any of these bikes, I'd like to know how you find it. Any pros and cons

Thanks in advance

markyh990

Likes Dirt
I think the tallboy would be a little relaxed for racing, where the occam could be more suited. But as you said it is pretty long, but in reality a more race orientated bike is always going to be a little longer than a more AM bike like the tallboy so it's a decision you'll have to make. I'm not sure how tall you are but I know tallboys are very tall over the front end which could be another thing to consider. I own a highball and have nothing bad to say about it, Santa Cruz do make a great bike.

I'm really keen to see an Occam, early review say they are pretty nice, similar to a superfly100. Pity Orbea don't have a huge presence in Australia. The only issue with a occam for pure racers is the frame is heavier than competition, but I'm not sure if that concerns you. Good luck deciding

muvro

Likes Dirt
I think the tallboy would be a little relaxed for racing, where the occam could be more suited. But as you said it is pretty long, but in reality a more race orientated bike is always going to be a little longer than a more AM bike like the tallboy so it's a decision you'll have to make. I'm not sure how tall you are but I know tallboys are very tall over the front end which could be another thing to consider. I own a highball and have nothing bad to say about it, Santa Cruz do make a great bike.

I'm really keen to see an Occam, early review say they are pretty nice, similar to a superfly100. Pity Orbea don't have a huge presence in Australia. The only issue with a occam for pure racers is the frame is heavier than competition, but I'm not sure if that concerns you. Good luck deciding
Thanks for the input. :)

I'm about 178cm (5'10"), short arms and legs, long torso. I do prefer a more relaxed position, my daily bike is a Orbea Rallon with 36's on it (67*), so reasonably slack, and the position seems to suit me for long all-day epics. My Rush is also reasonably slack, factory 69* HA with a 110mm fork, I run a 120, so I dare say it'd be .5-1 degree slacker. Also, the top tube on the rush is very short at 562mm, I run a 70mm stem on it with a layback thomson posts. Hence my concern with the occams long TT at 612mm.

When you say the Tallboy is tall over the front end, do you mean, the handle bars sit higher?

The HA on the Tallboy is 71* vs the Occam's 70*

I really want to get on them and try them out. Unfortunately, it is difficult.

I was also considering the new Oiz, but considering I love the Rush as much as I do, if I'm going to upgrade bikes, I might as well make the leap to the 9r.

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Tallboy

I have a Talboy LTc and just did the 4 day cape to cape race in WA. Had no worries at all with it, i run a 70mm stem. Probably more a trail/AM setup the way I've got it set which is what i wanted. A good mate i ride with however has the Tallboy C (100mm xc version) and finished in the top 50 he is a smaller guy and runs a 100 stem as the top tube is a little shorter than "XC Race bikes" but the head tube is also very short for a 29er one of the shortest around so theres no need to run ridiculous angle negative stems etc to get the weight over the front. Top tube length is a matter of preference I think, I've a few carbon Santacruz and they are all top quality bikes with no complaints here. Id definitely get a test ride on one before making up your mind.

Good luck with the purchase

Swords

Cannon Fodder
Occam sizing

Hey Muvro, did you end upgetting the Occam 29. I ask because I am similar in size to you and was wondering what size frame you ended up with.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Hey Muvro, did you end upgetting the Occam 29. I ask because I am similar in size to you and was wondering what size frame you ended up with.
Hi Swords,

I haven't gotten one yet. I've just had a bub, so won't be getting one straight away. However, I did test ride both in medium and I also rode a small Occam in the 26" (of which was way too short), the Occam felt like it pedalled a smidge better, as far as the cockpit goes, the length on the Occam was awesome for riding, I could get behind the seat fairly easily, but not as easily as my Rush. The Tallboy felt the same as my rush, but it had a shorter stem on it. As far as which one I would buy, I'd be getting the carbon Occam S30X without any doubt, and I'd put a reverb in it. It's got the 120mm fork instead of 100, with 15mm QR, XT cranks, wheels and rear mech. So pretty good value really, whilst giving you the option to set the fork at 100mm if you want a more aggressive race style bike. On top of that, it looks hot! :)

Swords

Cannon Fodder
Cheers

Hi Swords,

I haven't gotten one yet. I've just had a bub, so won't be getting one straight away. However, I did test ride both in medium and I also rode a small Occam in the 26" (of which was way too short), the Occam felt like it pedalled a smidge better, as far as the cockpit goes, the length on the Occam was awesome for riding, I could get behind the seat fairly easily, but not as easily as my Rush. The Tallboy felt the same as my rush, but it had a shorter stem on it. As far as which one I would buy, I'd be getting the carbon Occam S30X without any doubt, and I'd put a reverb in it. It's got the 120mm fork instead of 100, with 15mm QR, XT cranks, wheels and rear mech. So pretty good value really, whilst giving you the option to set the fork at 100mm if you want a more aggressive race style bike. On top of that, it looks hot! :)
Thanks for the prompt response, I was hoping the medium would not be too big as the small size comes with shorter cranks, looks like I can place the order with a bit more confidence.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the prompt response, I was hoping the medium would not be too big as the small size comes with shorter cranks, looks like I can place the order with a bit more confidence.
You won't be disappointed with how it rides. I was stoked with how the test ride went. What model are you getting and where you getting it?

Swords

Cannon Fodder
H10

You won't be disappointed with how it rides. I was stoked with how the test ride went. What model are you getting and where you getting it?
Looking at the occam 29 h10 and will be getting it through Belrose bikes. Hopefully will get round there tomorrow to order it and have it before the Mont.

I was originally looking at a trek superfly but it just never got me excited, for not too much more will end up with a better level of suspension, similar components and a hell of a lot sexier looking bike.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Nice! Yeah, when I get mine, it'll be through Northern Beaches Cycles. let me know how you go when you get it. :)

Alberto Durante

Cannon Fodder
occam29 sizing issue

Hello everybody, I am Alberto from Italy

I love the Occam but I also have the size problem. I am 174cm (5.8) but long arms. My bike has 602mm TT and 100mm stem so I think the small Occam would be too short for me (it has 577+70).

Do you think the M would work good with a shorter stem (Orbea uses 90 on the medium, I would replace with a 70) or this would affect too much the bike geometry?

Thanks for your contribution

Alberto

[QwUOTE=muvro;2639055]Hi Swords,

I haven't gotten one yet. I've just had a bub, so won't be getting one straight away. However, I did test ride both in medium and I also rode a small Occam in the 26" (of which was way too short), the Occam felt like it pedalled a smidge better, as far as the cockpit goes, the length on the Occam was awesome for riding, I could get behind the seat fairly easily, but not as easily as my Rush. The Tallboy felt the same as my rush, but it had a shorter stem on it. As far as which one I would buy, I'd be getting the carbon Occam S30X without any doubt, and I'd put a reverb in it. It's got the 120mm fork instead of 100, with 15mm QR, XT cranks, wheels and rear mech. So pretty good value really, whilst giving you the option to set the fork at 100mm if you want a more aggressive race style bike. On top of that, it looks hot! :)[/QUOTE]

muvro

Likes Dirt
I have finally finished building my Occam after clear coating it.

I'm 178 Alberto and the medium is awesome, even with the 90mm stem. I'm thinking about possibly dropping to an 80, but I'm going to persevire with the 90 for a while and see how I go.

Alberto Durante

Cannon Fodder

I'm 178 Alberto and the medium is awesome, even with the 90mm stem. I'm thinking about possibly dropping to an 80, but I'm going to persevire with the 90 for a while and see how I go.

Thank you for your answer. After long research, I finally found a bike test. It was a real test lasting 3 hours with climbing, descent and some technical section. I tried size M and found everything was working properly, I did not find the bike long at all! The test cleared out all my doubts and I bought red s30x. Should attive next week, can't wait forma it. I will post my pictures and riding impressions.
Coming back to the size, the guy in the shop told me that for racing size S is recommended up to 176 guy in this height range I think ITIS also up to personal preferences and pedal better with longerTT. I think, compared to a 26 with the sale TT lenght you have a longer bike but also an higher handlebar ma king the riding position a bit more relaxed.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes

Looks beautiful. Whereabouts did you pick it up from?

muvro

Likes Dirt
Looks beautiful. Whereabouts did you pick it up from?
Thanks man. The frame comes in Matte finish standard, but it really hides the raw carbon look. I'm a massive carbon whore, and love shiney stuff. So when I got the bike, I stripped it right down (even the bearings) and painted it in PPG Ceramic clear.

I got the bike from Northern Beaches Cycles in North Narrabeen.