Otway Odyssey entries open - new course?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in with a grin!

This is really pushing my luck. :)

I'm in for the 100km (again). I've ridden a mountain bike maybe 4 times over winter, and this should motivate my sorry arse to get back on.

Bring it!

toddcuth

Likes Bikes
get back on it!

mate with the weather getting better and better and the daylight longer and longer its hard not to be on the bike.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I'm in for the 100km (again). I've ridden a mountain bike maybe 4 times over winter, and this should motivate my sorry arse to get back on.

Bring it!
way to go, just enjoy the training and you'll kill it on the day.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Bring it!
Good one Jim. Now you know where the good training is, don't you?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
way to go, just enjoy the training and you'll kill it on the day.
Good one Jim. Now you know where the good training is, don't you?
Love you guys! Thanks for the encouragement, you have no idea how far behind I am at the moment... every positive thought makes a difference.

Steve, first I plan to get myself in basic shape, and then I will beg you for another tour of the "holy land". :)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Stevob's playground. Very challenging loop mate. Great training for the OO.
on a rigid SS no less

I hate him

Although I was very inspired after seeing a gang of rigid SS on the weekend - I went out and did the same - actually enjoyed it and cleared 95%. I still hate him for being so bloody SS.

I have also found a magic gear 2 x 2. I run two chainrings up front and two out back and as long as the chain length is the same - have two different gears. I have 40 X 15 for the road - commute to work and 35 X 21 for off road Yarra trails on the way home. I was sick on sitting and spinning my way to work just so I could hit the trails on the way home and then a road gear than could not use off road. F*ck I am so clever - you watch all the cool kids will be doing this.
So a 40 and 35 ring up front and 15 and 21 out back = same chain length (close). You simply drop out the rear wheel and change to the other gearing. You have to stop to change gears folks.
I might use this set up for the Odyssey

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The really cool kids can run their chains a little loose on their 2x2's and make the change with a deft flick of the toe whilst still riding.

I love you too JD:love:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JD there's no way in hell I'd try the 100 with a SS, even if it was 2 x 2. I might build mine up again for training though. Hans loop becomes much more interesting when running SS. :) I ran a 26er at 32-16 and those switchbacks would hurt! Got pretty strong though.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
JD there's no way in hell I'd try the 100 with a SS, even if it was 2 x 2. I might build mine up again for training though. Hans loop becomes much more interesting when running SS. :) I ran a 26er at 32-16 and those switchbacks would hurt! Got pretty strong though.
jathanas - you cant be on my team if you are going to be such a p*ssy. Harden up man. Dont let these XC whippets know you are soft - tell em you will be on a rigid SS fixie and get em scared - belittle their preparation.

Stevob - you are just showing off now. Despite your show of affection for me - I still think you are all SS Yarra Ranges freaks and your trails are built for goats not mere male mortals.

I think I will pull out of this odyssey fiasco - imagine meeting you all in the flesh - in one place

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jathanas - you cant be on my team if you are going to be such a p*ssy. Harden up man. Dont let these XC whippets know you are soft - ...

I think I will pull out of this odyssey fiasco - imagine meeting you all in the flesh - in one place
JD - But I am soft!

I'll be looking forward to getting drunk with you after we finish mate. Went out for an MTB ride in the evening. First in a long time. I've got a long way to go. :(

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All.

I notice that the Gravity 12 hour at Bright is on 2 weeks earlier and it looks like a really good event. I'll be doing the OO, but wanted to know if it's realistic to do both, and be ready and OK for the OO. I'm not a gun, and as a guide I do the OO in 8 hours and am thinking of doing the Gravity solo. I know I can do it as a team but am keen to know peoples experiences and thoughts for someone at my level.

Cheers,

Coaster

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Gravity rocks. If you are doing regular riding you should be fine. I don't train much and did gravity this year. After a week I was feeling great.
I think I'll do both. Definitely doing gravity. Gravity is a great event for familys as its right in the middle of bright. This year my wife came with our baby daughter and we all had a great weekend.
Two weeks is plenty if time to recover. Do some easy rides in between and I think you'll be stronger for it at the OO.