Otway Odyssey entries open - new course?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how's everyone's training going? I've been doing plenty of climbing - mainly local. will try and put in a big december before backing off a bit for the xmas break.

anyone ridden the first 30ks at all?

riderideride

Likes Dirt
how's everyone's training going? I've been doing plenty of climbing - mainly local. will try and put in a big december before backing off a bit for the xmas break.

anyone ridden the first 30ks at all?
I'll be hitting Forrest over Xmas break for some training. Plan on doing the first 30 km several times :D until then the dandenongs are providing some climbs, and spin is keeping the legs going.

rockymountain_ltd

Likes Dirt
Hi All.

I notice that the Gravity 12 hour at Bright is on 2 weeks earlier and it looks like a really good event. I'll be doing the OO, but wanted to know if it's realistic to do both, and be ready and OK for the OO. I'm not a gun, and as a guide I do the OO in 8 hours and am thinking of doing the Gravity solo. I know I can do it as a team but am keen to know peoples experiences and thoughts for someone at my level.

Cheers,

Coaster
did the gravity as a team of 2 (under prepared!) and then the 100km OO in around the 8hr mark earlier this year. I'm doing the gravity again for 2013 as well as the 100km OO. Plenty of time between both, I even threw in a 100km road ride at Ballarat on the w'end inbetween and still was OK . The gravity is an awesome event and you will have a blast!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
did the gravity as a team of 2 (under prepared!) and then the 100km OO in around the 8hr mark earlier this year. I'm doing the gravity again for 2013 as well as the 100km OO. Plenty of time between both, I even threw in a 100km road ride at Ballarat on the w'end inbetween and still was OK . The gravity is an awesome event and you will have a blast!
You and pistonbroke have been able to bring me around! If I can get the support crew up (will sell it as a weekend away........ with a bit of a ride on Sat) I'm definitely going to do this.

Thanks you both for your replies.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All.

I notice that the Gravity 12 hour at Bright is on 2 weeks earlier and it looks like a really good event. I'll be doing the OO, but wanted to know if it's realistic to do both, and be ready and OK for the OO. I'm not a gun, and as a guide I do the OO in 8 hours and am thinking of doing the Gravity solo. I know I can do it as a team but am keen to know peoples experiences and thoughts for someone at my level.

Cheers,

Coaster
just some comments, if you do a 100k in 8 hours then you'll be up for say 120ks or so and they are climbing ks as a solo (assuming you're not going flat out here). I would need a week to 10 days for 'full' recovery off that and a week of easy riding before event. you have 14 days between events and from my understanding you would have no training benefit for OO by doing the 12 hour (assuming there's a 3-4 week lag for training adaptions etc.), (would be a good mental, confidence boost I'm sure!) so I think you would want to ride as a team or ride a very easy solo to save the legs. I'm coming from the perspective of a fit weekend warrior rather than a race hardened rider.

I'm doing the Alpine Classic 250 on the 27th of Jan which would be my last hard ride.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
<snip>....... I'm coming from the perspective of a fit weekend warrior rather than a race hardened rider.
Correction. "I'm coming from the perspective of a very fit weekend warrior rather than a race hardened rider". You're doing some awesome Km's, it's even inspiring me to get on the bike more as I can't look at the Kew ST and think, "nah, pretty boring trails I'll skip it" when you're out there killing them! Keep it up.

I'm erring on the side of your thoughts. If I get up there my intention is not to blast my way through as a solo but just ride for the enjoyment and experience. The team idea is a good one, so I might see how I stand at the end of Dec (probably upright with a beer) and make the call then. Either way, it's a good problem to have with 2 great events close together. I hope the new OO course gets me back the next year.

fergo

Likes Dirt
For those who are wondering about the first section of the 2013 100km course, here is a part preview. The 2010 OO Shorty included some of this upcoming 100 course. From the 9km mark to the footy oval near 25km in the link below will be done in this 100.
http://connect.garmin.com/player/25168430

Kaangalang rd is on Strava but also the start of the 2011 OO Shorty including back down red carpet to the start of the Southern loop of 4,5,6. See the 0-18 km section of this link.
http://connect.garmin.com/player/69416709

My plan is to get nowhere near as low as the 2012 OO. More training, better nutrition and a different attitude will get me through. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read here

Thanks for all of your encouragement from last year. I feel I've got unfinished business so I'm back for another crack.

Cheers,
Ferg

Well so much for a big prep for the Odyssey!! I broke my leg a month ago whilst riding to work and will be in plaster till just before Christmas. This gives me 8 weeks to get ready to line up on the start line. I've already changed from the 100 to the 50km Shorty. Now the aim is to finish the 50, let alone be competitive.

All the best to you all. Keep training and enjoy your race!

Cheers,
Ferg

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well so much for a big prep for the Odyssey!! I broke my leg a month ago whilst riding to work and will be in plaster till just before Christmas. This gives me 8 weeks to get ready to line up on the start line. I've already changed from the 100 to the 50km Shorty. Now the aim is to finish the 50, let alone be competitive.

All the best to you all. Keep training and enjoy your race!

Cheers,
Ferg
that's no good mate, on the other hand 8 weeks can get you fit enough .... don't stop pedaling - mate I did the Alpine with last year was doing one legged pedaling on his exercise bike after a foot operation. he was fit enough to finish.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Anyone been out to pre ride any of the course recently? Went for an explore yesterday and did most of the first 30km or so (of the 100km course). Some good climbs out there, with some good steep pinches. Missed the turn off for 'motorbike track', but did some back tracking and think I found the 'sledgehammer' (hadnt ridden it before). Was so grown over that it was pretty much un-rideable... unless it wasnt the sledgehammer?

stevo78

Likes Dirt
Curious as to people thouights if the new 100k course suits a HT or dually more?
The old course I would favour a hardtail because of the bitumen and climbing in the first 50k and then manage to hang on in the last 50.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
If you plan on aiming for a quick time 29HT is the go, still a lot of fire road in the first loop. Although my back and upper body was hammered last year on the HT by the moto track descent. This year will be red carpet to finish, which is a bit smoother at least.

As for sledgehammer, I doubt that was the track you rode, it's essentially a fire road in width but 30% in grade :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Curious as to people thouights if the new 100k course suits a HT or dually more?
The old course I would favour a hardtail because of the bitumen and climbing in the first 50k and then manage to hang on in the last 50.
I like a HT at Forrest, but of course a low weight Dually would be just as good, think mtb fitness is the thing for a HT as legs are doing what the dually would normally do on descents.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
If you plan on aiming for a quick time 29HT is the go, still a lot of fire road in the first loop. Although my back and upper body was hammered last year on the HT by the moto track descent. This year will be red carpet to finish, which is a bit smoother at least.

As for sledgehammer, I doubt that was the track you rode, it's essentially a fire road in width but 30% in grade :)
Ah guess that it wasnt the sledgehammer then, this was a singletrack. Any tips on finding it, as Id like to (try to) ride it before the event?

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Easiest way to find it is to ride the motorbike tracks. Towards the end you drop down on a steep descent onto the fireroad, cross the creek (which is usually quite dry. And then you hit sledgehammer. Someone has marked it as hazardous on Strava funnigly enough. Its fairly easy to follow from the map on the Kona Odyssey website

10 Weeks left for training. Better get started

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah guess that it wasnt the sledgehammer then, this was a singletrack. Any tips on finding it, as Id like to (try to) ride it before the event?
one bit I reckon you should preride is track 5/6 from 80ks onwards. it's pretty tight and technical in there if you're tired.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting choice that by RA. I have to say that is my least favourite part of track in the previous format. Walk the dog is great but that section before it does my head in. It feels like it goes forever as you twist and turn. Maybe that's a good challenge for the end, but I'd prefer something a bit more flowy.

I think MTB101's suggestion of a pre ride is excellent. You need to be prepared for that part.

My 2 cents worth anyway.........

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I'm a goner in there for sure. Book the ambo now.
don't know if you guys remember but 2 years ago (wet, mud year) someone broke their leg on that very slippery chute near the end. I landed in a fern tree there as well, nice place to land I say. mate I was following who is mr technical went otbs due to other riders all panicking and braking in front of him. at least we won't have to worry about trying to pass anyone in there as we'll all be too buggered by then.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
food for ride

what are peoples thoughts on food for the race, i know i didnt eat enough this year have try something different next time.