Otway training for 2013

stu-2

Likes Dirt
Hi folks i am after some serious/decent training tips or idea's for next years odyssey. It took me way to long this year 9.33 hrs. In fairness to me i lost the last 4 weeks due to breaking my collarbone and spraining my shoulder joint which stopped me doing some good long rides to finish my endurance training. Cramping in the legs was my main problem though which is something i seem to get in long races.. So any idea's would be welcome thanks...

Training for the Otway

There used to be a link off the Otway Odyssey webpage to the Mtb-Marathon.co.uk site, which contained a training plan. This site was set up for the old Kona/Merida and now CRC Marathon series in the UK. It outlines how to structure a plan and what to do. As an ex-fattie I found this particularly useful the first time I put a plan together.

Alternatively check out any of the free plans floating around by Mark Fenner such as here:

http://www.mont24.com.au/gear/?IntCatId=25&IntContId=7531

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
come on ... not training already are you? I'm still recovering. Think of this you are riding 100k with say a target average of 15kph (6 -7 hours) with just under 3000 metres ascent. The overwhelming thing you want now is endurance that is riding longer distances at a lower intensity (see heart rate zone for endurance). If you don't have time then you must commute!

Next look at your weaknesses - it's probably climbing (are you over weight?) if so knock the weight off (long rides will do it), climbing: find a spot and work on it, not about speed, about rhythm and economy (efficient energy use). I would be doing some longer events coming up to get some competition ks on legs. Wombat 100k, 22nd April 2012, long road ride events, even Around the Bay in a day is a good one - the Audax Alpine Classic is a great one for climbing.

Sorry but you may need to get a roadie to get time on your legs (plenty of good climbs/rides in TAS), although my approach was to ride dirt as much as possible afterall that's what I like.

markyh990

Likes Dirt
Key to getting a good time is getting to the top of red carpet in the quickest and best shape possible. So you need to replicate those first 50 or so kays in the best way possible. Ride 50 kms on your mtb and make sure these is at least 2000m climbing. You'll need to sit in the saddle for regular 5 hour rides, which might be more fun on a roadie. Regular 5 hour rides are better than occasional 7 hr rides I wouldn't get too caught up in HR zones and the like, the more elite you get the more it becomes relevant, key is time on the bike. As the saying goes train hard race easy

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Key to getting a good time is getting to the top of red carpet in the quickest and best shape possible. So you need to replicate those first 50 or so kays in the best way possible. Ride 50 kms on your mtb and make sure these is at least 2000m climbing.
50km mtb ride with 2000m of climbing? That would be one tough loop! You are going to kill the poor guy.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
It's a tough race. I find I need to be consistent with training. Not a few days here a couple of days next week....Anyway, I am looking forward to the Odyssey next year and want to improve on this years time quite a bit. I believe I may have been a little overtrained going into the race this year. Not enough easy or easier days. I certainly put in the hill training, but I don't think I gave myself enough recovery time after the hard & long sessions.

Over the winter I will be doing a bit on the wind trainer, using my heart rate to guide my training. My main plan for training is to improve on my weakness's which is recovery rides & getting quicker / more flow on single track. I guess just delving into the training side of things with a bit more detail. Nutrition, hydration, bike set-up, flexibility......it all adds up......now I've just got to find the time.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
thanks fella's, there is some stuff i can get from replies just need to put some into action now, yes i do ride a roadie 160k ride on this sunday.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
thanks fella's, there is some stuff i can get from replies just need to put some into action now, yes i do ride a roadie 160k ride on this sunday.
Is that in a bunch sucking someone else's wheel or are you on the front 100% of the time or riding solo??

stu-2

Likes Dirt
normally ride on my own for an hour or so with some longer ones every so often, this weekends ride is a charity ride the longest i've done, previous was 140k which i dragged a workmate and a couple of others for the most part.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
perfect at this stage its all about consistent training as someone else has pointed out. Hopefully the weather holds out for you this weekend and enjoy the ride

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
see here's the thing. (time for my road vs mtb training rant) and yes of course pro mtb riders ride mainly road, but they have heaps of time, coaches and structured programs, gyms etc. Us (me) average guys have got to go for dirt quality with the time we have.

on the road it's a sub 8kg bike, low rolling resistance, and we're just sitting there waiting to bunny hop something but it never comes ... so there's no upper body and then you draft & spin along; and as we know when we hit the dirt, it's 11kgs or so, wind in your face, upper body indeed whole body goes into mad mode to cope with the frequently changing up and down terrain. So training for intensity and I say mtb intensity is key. Of course base endurance ks can be done most efficiently on the roadie, but inevitably the mtb requirement of: intensity, economy, power, tech skills - yes all the stuff Joe Friel talks about including 'specificity' i.e. matching your training to the event comes into play.

So picture your year like a large funnel at the beginning you go around the rim, occasionally dipping down and up as you approach your target event/s, as the year progresses you spin quicker and closer to the bottom. If you can do it in the dirt, then I reckon that's the main reason to train for these events.

danTM

Likes Dirt
I think for the time constrained a Roadie is better than a MTB, apart from the tech skills most of what you want to do can be replciated pretty well on a roadie and a Roadie just requires you to ride out your front door rather than planning to get to the trail, go riding, get home etc...

You can do hill repeats to get the intensity and power you refer to, you can get endurance by doing long hard rides and then when you have the time do a MTB ride.

I'm coming back from a Fibula injury and am more getting back into Tri's rather than MTB but I'm normally running at 5:45am when I can't ride/swim due to light and opening hours at the pool, then going for a ride at 6:30 and finishing up at 7:30am because I don't have the time, if you have a problem that you don't have time I wouldn't shy away from running to complement your riding/build up cardio endurace if you don't have daylight hours to train.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

So training for intensity and I say mtb intensity is key. Of course base endurance ks can be done most efficiently on the roadie, but inevitably the mtb requirement of: intensity, economy, power, tech skills - yes all the stuff Joe Friel talks about including 'specificity' i.e. matching your training to the event comes into play..
Hey bud, nice post. A I said, I've read the Friels book and recommend it as a great educational source.

There are various sites where you can pick up a training plan, but if you want a deeper understanding about training with regards to base, peaking, recovery, etc this book is excellent.

FWIW Friels recommends that most of our training should be on a road bike.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
... I don't have the time, if you have a problem that you don't have time I wouldn't shy away from running to complement your riding/build up cardio endurace if you don't have daylight hours to train.
Nice post. I'll be running more during the winter months as a way of "condensing" fitness work.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey bud, nice post. A I said, I've read the Friels book and recommend it as a great educational source.

There are various sites where you can pick up a training plan, but if you want a deeper understanding about training with regards to base, peaking, recovery, etc this book is excellent.

FWIW Friels recommends that most of our training should be on a road bike.
have been reading his blog over last year; and his posts are a lot more accessible - (the training principles) than the book. There's probably 10-15 really top notch posts in there which apply to us. that book was published in 2000 I think, what's changed is the use of power meters and how they not only measure output but profile what particular kinds of riding require i.e. fitness from training - as prepartion for particular kinds of riding/competition.

the reality for many guys on here is that we don't have access to a coach or the time to do a comprehensive program, in that context I think riding the mtb more would have greater gains than riding the roadie, mainly cause of the 'principle of specificity'(which Joe says is very important "I believe the three most important principles of training are 1) specificity, 2) specificity, and 3) specificity.".) not saying if I had lots of hours I wouldn't be on the roadie, rather that would be secondary to riding dirt.

just my 2 bobs worth btw.

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The book has been updated to include powermeter training. Whats valuable about it is that it is very well explained. I agree with you about specificity. The best way to train for the OO is to ride the actual course regularly, but thats not feasible for me. My fave and most effective way of training for climbing and endurance in my / our area is on the road imho... The last month or so before the event i ride my mtb the most.

have been reading his blog over last year; and his posts are a lot more accessible - (the training principles) than the book. There's probably 10-15 really top notch posts in there which apply to us. that book was published in 2000 I think, what's changed is the use of power meters and how they not only measure output but profile what particular kinds of riding require i.e. fitness from ctraining - as prepartion for particular kinds of riding/competition.

the reality for many guys on here is that we don't have access to a coach or the time to do a comprehensive program, in that context I think riding the mtb more would have greater gains than riding the roadie, mainly cause of the 'principle of specificity'(which Joe says is very important "I believe the three most important principles of training are 1) specificity, 2) specificity, and 3) specificity.".) not saying if I had lots of hours I wouldn't be on the roadie, rather that would be secondary to riding dirt.

just my 2 bobs worth btw.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
well survived the 160k ride, took us 5hr 38, Ben Mathers rapid cycles group lead the pack and keeped the pace high, freezing start though. Lessons learnt dont ride at the back to easy to get dropped, an learn how to eat while riding as i struggle to eat on the move. Legs held up okay so have to keep this sort happening every so often.
thanks, Stuart.

Last edited: