Oury grip options

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been using Oury lock-ons for over a decade and really like the large diameter and level of grip. Having recently done some Thredbo trips I find they're a little too hard and my hands have been a little bruised up.

Wondering if the non-lock-on version is any softer and worth going for, or are there any softer lock-ons worth considering instead?

Maybe I just need to ride more lol?

halfstroke

Likes Bikes
Bruised hands...You're hands have gone soft from not wanking hard enough. You'll be complaining of bruised feet soon enough, Step up your game.

In all seriousness it might not even be your grips it could be bar sweep/rise, fork stiffness, tire pressure or a combination of all of those things. Which for your regular trails are good enough not to hurt your hands but for somewhere like Thredbo are to harsh.

Do you wear gloves?

Last edited:

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bruised hands...You're hands have gone soft from not wanking hard enough. You'll be complaining of bruised feet soon enough, Step up your game.

In all seriousness it might not even be your grips it could be bar sweep/rise, fork stiffness, tire pressure or a combination of all of those things. Which for your regular trails are good enough not to hurt your hands but for somewhere like Thredbo are to harsh.

Do you wear gloves?
Lol. Yeah did Thredbo twice in 2 weeks, 2 days back to back each time. I wear gloves but started to blister up on the last day. It's no biggy, but if I can ramp up the comfort that would be cool. New bike too, so yeah could well be the cockpit setup. It's massively different to my old bike, went from 720 bars to 800!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The non lockon version are definitely softer and more comfortable on long days, I've got both types across a few bikes.

The main reason I prefer to use lockon's is simply convenience and wet weather, twisting slip on's really shit me, I know there are spray type solutions and wiring them, but meh.

They are cheap at about 15aud from a few german sites, so not a big investment to try.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered some non-lock-on versions just to try. I've also ordered some ESI extra chunky. I tried the standard ones a few years back and didn't like them, but the 34mm diameter on the EC version could be the go.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put some chunkies on yesterday. Even with a compressor it was a bit of effort - broke the first nozzle but found some ideal rubber-ended ones at Supersh1t. Good luck!

notime

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered some non-lock-on versions just to try. I've also ordered some ESI extra chunky. I tried the standard ones a few years back and didn't like them, but the 34mm diameter on the EC version could be the go.
Wolf Tooth Fat Paws are 37mm. I find them a little nicer and longer lasting than the ESI EC's.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run the slip on Oury's on all my bikes, just a quick squirt with hair spray on the bars before install stops them spinning.

Beej1

The non lockon version are definitely softer and more comfortable on long days, I've got both types across a few bikes.
I have 2 x MTBs. The 160mm AM bike has Oury lock-ons. The 140mm fork 29er hardtail has Oury slip-ons (hairspray and 5c piece installation).

I honestly can't tell the difference. In theory the slip-ons should feel softer - the rubber is thicker by way of the lock-ons having a solid plastic sleeve inside. But yeah ... I can't feel it.

But I also couldn't ever see those Magic Eye images back in the 90s. So it could be that I'm just deficient in the sensory input department.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just an update, received my new grips today. I've installed the ESI Chunkys. They feel sensational. I've had the standard ESI grips and they were just too thin for my liking. These have the same feel (diameter) as my Ourys but super soft of course. I'm thinking these are going to be the go for me.

The Oury non lock-ons strangely (and as eluded to above) feel as hard to me as the Lock-ons. I haven't installed them on the bike as yet, but surprised they didn't feel a little softer.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Attachments

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm glad you took a photo of the end caps..
they'll be on the trail or side of the road in no time.

Put some Hope or something more meaningful on. But ESI extra chunky are superb.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm glad you took a photo of the end caps..
they'll be on the trail or side of the road in no time.

Put some Hope or something more meaningful on. But ESI extra chunky are superb.
Very nice grips but I've had the ends pop out on numerous occasions brushing trees.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Weird that you say that, because all the ESI's Ive had have felt firmer than Oury's.

I have found ESI's super hard to get off the bar without damaging them and those end caps get lost pretty quick. I do think ESI's are the best lightweight option though for big grips.

Last edited:

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well that was short lived lol. First ride in. You jinxed it! Felt good though, could go even thicker so may try those Wolf ones.

Attachments

stevexg

Likes Bikes
Recently went back to non lock ourys after a stint with lock ons, esi's and few foam grips.
Love them.
(One of the reasons I didn't like esi's was for the same reason as you found. Big $$ for grips that don't survive a tree clip/ small stack. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I ate some major dirt at Thredbo, bent the bars so in fairness I didn't expect them to survive. Although my old lock ons would have ironically! Got some non lock ons at the same time so will try those tomorrow.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well that was short lived lol. First ride in. You jinxed it! Felt good though, could go even thicker so may try those Wolf ones.
Can't say we didn't tell you. :^)
Sorry to hear about the stack and hope that both the bike and you are ok.

Just get some decent end caps like Hope End Doctors and they're fine.
The moment ESI's get within sniffing distance of the ground, they split.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run ODI plastic push in plugs like these
s-l300.jpg

I found them for about $5 a pair on ebay from a skate/scooter shop mid last year. I can't find them selling on ebay now, but I think I have a card from their store at home somewhere and I'll try to dig it out. The plugs do come with some ODI scooter grips that I've seen at my LBS, but that isn't very frugal really if you need to buy two sets of grips. This is the cheapest I found on ebay after a brief search

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ODI-End-...hash=item33b527255c:m:mr9auCTwgbku-Qn0LXhQ1VA

I find the ODI plastic plugs to be really good at preventing ripping of the ESI grips. The outside diameter of the flange on the plug is the same size as the outside diameter of the chunky ESI grips and the flange is about 5mm thick and they take the bumps from trees or the ground if you lay it over. The colour match with ESI grips is also very good. I have a blue pair and a black pair and they match well.

Run them on two of my bikes and they've been faultless for over 6 months.