Oval chain rings and chain guide?

joelss84

Squid
Hey was just wondering if you can run a chain guide on an oval chain ring.
Im interested in buying a an absolute black oval ring I heard they were the best lol is this true?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently running a absolute black eccentric nw chainring with no guide. It has not dropped, and it has been ridden on some pretty harsh terrain.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I like my OneUp traction ring, works a treat. No guide and no drops btw.

kanemb

Likes Dirt
Im running an absolute black oval ring, there is a bit of up and down movement of the chain but i reckon you could use a chain guide with it. You would just have to make sure the guide is adjusted to account for the movement, if your using one with a bash plate thingy it would have to be large enough to protect the "long" side of the chain ring. I reckon you can feel the oval a bit when coasting and it messed my rad wheelies up at first. But I also cleared a really steep techy pinch that ive probably ridden 20 times before and never made it up on my first ride.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I have a mrp amg guide and just ordered a OneUp traction oval ring. I cant be trusted without a bash ring or some sort! anyone else with this combo? sure it will be fine

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
77designz chain guide on mine. I'd never go without one, if it's ever likely to drop it'll be when you don't want it to during a race. This thing weighs 17g, what's the worry?

Attachments

LukeJH

Likes Bikes
Yep works.

Run an absolute black 30-34 oval tooth ring with an e13 top guide with no problems and no dropped chains. No need for a bottom chain guide roller