Oval Chainring

Gerokit

Likes Bikes
Fitted an oval chainring to XT crank and had horrible clunk, clunk on the flat increasing speed then freewheel, clunk as I started pedalling again. It was like riding with teeth missing off one of the sprockets on the cassette. I tried upshifting, but same clunk once i got up to speed. Anyone had this with Oval chainrings?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
No issues and all my bikes now rung oval. 32t and 34t. All bar one on XT. It is in the right place? Check clearances.

moorey

call me Mia
Did you fit a new chain with the chainring?
Do you have a chainguide it may be hitting?
Both came to mind for me too.
If a duallie, ring might clear guide unweighted, but foul when you compress suspension.
If you fitted new chain, cassette could be munted.

Hey

Likes Bikes
Have you fitted it to an ebike ?
they won’t work on an ebike
Just make sure you have fitted it correctly as they need the right timing. Otherwise your back to the Biopace days.

T-Rex

Template denier
Fitted an oval chainring to XT crank and had horrible clunk, clunk on the flat increasing speed then freewheel, clunk as I started pedalling again. It was like riding with teeth missing off one of the sprockets on the cassette. I tried upshifting, but same clunk once i got up to speed. Anyone had this with Oval chainrings?
Did you completely remove the chain from the bike, or just leave it sitting on the cassette/derailleur?

Hey

Likes Bikes
why would one fit it to an ebike, can't see the advantage of this?
Seeing the cranks spin backward on a ebike without turning the chain wheel. It would make it a disadvantage to fit one. There are some strange people about, so anything is possible.