overseas travel advice

sasser

Likes Dirt
ok, here's the deal, ive got a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel overseas(cyprus, austria and swizerland) altho im spending all of my savings, i believe it will most definatly be worth it. im going for one month, so im gonna f@#k off school for that month(august).
the thing that is making me edgy is that i dont speak much of any of the languages, im traveling alone, and im only 16. the fact that im going ahead with this trip is really making me feel like a kid, like i need some direction form an adult, some advice etc.
any advice and/or travel tips from all of you seasoned jetsetters?
so many details and shit that i wanna type down, but you dont need to know them, ergh, im just heaps exited and shit.
please help.

Brett

Likes Dirt
Well I just returned from a 6 month trip to South America and I now have $40 to my name. Although Europe is bound to be different from SA i'll try to give you a few tips.

1. Have an idea of what you want to do and see but don't organise your whole trip before you even get there. you are going to meet people who'll tell you if a place is worth going or you might meet some awesome people and decide to travel with them for a while so having a plan is pretty useless. we landed in SA knowing where we were going to stay that night and thats about it.

2. Don't worry about the language thing too much. Most places (hostels, restaurants) have at least someone who can speak some english especially in europe where they all learn it at school. if not you can usually get by with some animated pointing. knowing hello, thank you, can I have and stuff like that might help you out. if your going to try and tune chicks you might need more then just hello.

3. Don't spend money on places to stay as long as it has a safe place to put your stuff it's fine. Money can be spent on other things.

4. Take heaps of photo's of random stuff, not just the same old sights you'll look back and laugh your arse off.

hope this helps a bit ...

munno

Squid
All good points from Brett.

1. I can't stress enough the importance of planning what you want to see before you go. While leaving enough flexibility in your timetable for unexpected events. When I went I just went and didn't plan a thing. This guaranteed I missed a lot.

2. Be relaxed and culturally sensitive. Ausies enjoy taking the piss out of each other, some find this offensive.

3. The mind is a wonderful thing there is no need to alter it. Especially when overseas. It seemed that every time I turned around I was being offered a different substance. A polite no gets rid of them though.

4. If you need to take any medication with you have a doctor’s cert saying that you need it. I herd of an Aussie woman who was in trouble in Greece for arriving with Panadol? Apparently it is a restricted or doctors cert item.

5. As Brett said take all the photos you can, save tickets, beer coasters etc. Makes a nice album when you get back.

6. If you see something you like or want to do and have the time and money. Buy it or do it there and then. Availability and circumstances can change rapidly.

7. Have a great time. Expect to be constantly saving for that next trip for the next 10 years or so.

ja_har

Likes Dirt
All good points above

My thoughts are to always be expecting the unexpected and be flexible enough to go with it, it's the people you meet and the adventures that come with that, that make a trip memorable, not the sights your saw.

Being prepared is a key, be prepared to have stuff nicked, getting lost, not being understood etc, if you can take all this in your stride and actually enjoy the hard part of your trips you will have so many good memores. All my greatest memories are from when things went really bad.

And really be prepared to want to go travelling again when you get back, my original ticket was for 3 months, I got back 6 years later after continually extending just so I see one more country.

Last edited:

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, the advice above is pretty on the money.
For the language thing, I've generally found that all you need to know is:
'Hello', 'goodbye', 'please', 'thankyou', 'do you speak english' and the numbers 1-10.

in most countries if you have a crack in their native tongue the locals will usually help you out if they speak english. If you rock up and jabber at them in english straight away that pisses them off.

For where you've mentioned learn a bit of german and that'll sort you through austria and switzerland. Get an Ipod and load it up with podcasts of language lessons. That'll help pass the time on the plane too.

And pack less than you think you need. I always take way too much and heavy packs suck.

Binaural

Eats Squid
sasser said:
ok, here's the deal, ive got a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel overseas(cyprus, austria and swizerland) altho im spending all of my savings, i believe it will most definatly be worth it. im going for one month, so im gonna f@#k off school for that month(august).
the thing that is making me edgy is that i dont speak much of any of the languages, im traveling alone, and im only 16. the fact that im going ahead with this trip is really making me feel like a kid, like i need some direction form an adult, some advice etc.
any advice and/or travel tips from all of you seasoned jetsetters?
so many details and shit that i wanna type down, but you dont need to know them, ergh, im just heaps exited and shit.
please help.
You're a bit on the young side for solo travel through Europe, but only in the sense that most of the other backpackers will be 18-30 and will do a lot of their socializing in the pub! Otherwise I reckon you will have a great time.

I spend about 4-5 months overseas each year for work, so my advice will be slanted a bit to staying in the one place:

1. I second Brett's advice to always arrange a place to stay for your first night, because the last thing you need after getting off a long flight is to deal with language and phone acccess issues.

2. Europe is a money sink and unless you are the most loaded 16yo I have ever met you are going to have problems. Everything is far more expensive that in Australia, especially food. The more creative you are at money saving/earning schemes the longer you can stay on the road. Do your sums before you go, because you're shit out of luck if you run out of money OS far from any support.

3. Be very careful about which season you go - it's coming into summer now in Europe so that should be cool. DON'T go in winter, it's just too fucking depressing. When I went to Ireland last, it was 40deg in Sydney and 4deg in Dublin, raining too. It's too depressing to never see any blue sky!

4. Any friends, family around there? Now's the time to make arrangements to sleep on their floor. Spending a few days or weeks on a friend's couch can make a bit difference to your budget. I stayed with old friends and some family and it made a big difference to the bottom line, plus hanging out with the locals is very cool!

5. Given the places you are travelling, hard try to pick up some German (lots of German tourists in Cyprus so it's helpful to you there as well). I recommend trying to learn 100 critical words (bus, time, directions etc) as a minimum to get you out of a pinch. Most large cities are OK for English but once you get out of the main centres all bets are off.

6. Pack light. When I travel I limit my toiletries to about the volume of a CD case, and about 3 days of clothes (not whites obviously ;) ). Only take one pair of shoes and some thongs (you will see some skanky showers). There's no reason you can't get everything in a 30-40L pack.

7. Travelling along can be pretty isolating, and you need to be able to deal with that if you go alone (standing in a foreign city alone for the first time can be quite an awed moment). I'd strongly advise taking somebody with you if you can convince anyone. That said, travelling by yourself forces you to meet people like nothing else, but if you're a bit shy then life can be hard.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
munno said:
I herd of an Aussie woman who was in trouble in Greece for arriving with Panadol? Apparently it is a restricted or doctors cert item.
It was panadeine or panadol forte, can't remember which one, but they both contain codeine which is a prescription only drug in a lot of countries.

that said, you'd be amazed at what you can buy over the counter in a pharmacy in some countries:D

And talk to as many backpackers as you can about where they stayed and what they've done, It's a good way to save money, see all the cool sights and make sure you don't end up sleeping in a hole.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
1. Put everything you think you will need on the bed, then halve it. A light pack is a good pack.

2. I recommend taking thongs for showering in, and a sheet slip for sleeping in. Most hostels are ok but your never know.

3. Depending on the season you should really book most of your accommodation ahead. We i went to europe we had all accommodation already sorted. Makes it so much easier, less stress, and cheaper to. The earlier you book the cheaper it is. Nothing is more expensive then rocking up and asking for a room

4. Cooking your own food is cheapest option, don't eat out too often. Make sure the places you stay has a kitchen to cook in.

5. Be respectful of other cultures. For example, don't be loud and brash when your about, just think about how your being perceived.

6. Put padlocks on all your bags, and take a bike lock with you and lock your bag to the bed/heater/sink. Can never be too careful.

7. Make sure you go for a ride, even if you just hire a city bike and go explore the city / country side. Best way to get around.

8. Get maps of the places your going so you don't get lost.

9. Do not take any illegal drugs while overseas.

10. Have fun and get lots of boody :)

11. Organise yourself a student discount card before you go, like a yha card and also a ISIC student card, need it for student travel in eurpoe

12. Organise your passport ASAP. It can take up to 6 weeks i think.

13. Organise a railpass before you leave as well. You can get all differant types of passes depending on how long you are going, what countries you are going to etc.

14. Scan all your documents (passport, tickets etc) and email them to yourself incase you loose them. This means you can easily get them if lost.

15. Organise yourself a credit card

16. Before you get on the plane get some of the local currency from the airport exchange so when you get off you have money already.

17. Maybe get a couple of travellers cheques just incase

18. Get to the airport early and request a nice seat. Smoothest ride is near the middle of the plane

19. Keep a diary and write a little bit each night. In 2 years you will forget most of what happened, write it down and you will never forget.

20. Takes heaps of pics. Get a nice camera.

21. Put your name on the inside of your bag incase someone claims it as there's. Also put some kind of ribbon / strap on it so you can see it easily when it comes off the plane

Last edited:

bazza

look at me
save up for 2 more years and make it so you cant touch your savings (even if a bike is going for super cheap on da intarnut) and than head overseas when your 18. best option for sure. spend the next 2 years figuring out where you want to go!

Pete J

loves his dog
Hey sasser, after reading your compliment about my dog, you are more than welcome to come to our place if you happen to venture over to Finland! :D
You are quite young to be travelling alone but props to you for giving it a shot.
Cheers mate, Pete.

sasser

Likes Dirt
massive, MASSIVE help guy's, appreciate it heaps.

roy you never know, i might have to take you up on that.....(so long as i meet the dog)

please keep the advice coming, you all have no idea how much this helps.

if i ever meet any of you, ill buy you a beer each.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
1. Don't hang out with Australians all the time. You're oversees to meet people from different countries and cultures, not talk with other Australians about how great Australia is (you'll be surprised how many people do this).

2. Passport, credit card and camera are the most important things. Look after them. Even if you've lost everything else, you'll be OK.

3. Scandinavian girls are your passport to happiness.

4. In contrast to everyone else, I say plan nothing. Be totally flexible. If you meet up with somebody you want to hang out with stay with 'em. Meeting people is what it's about. Site seeing is secondary.

5. Don't get stressed if things go a bit wrong. Relax. It'll turn out OK.

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cave Dweller said:
1. Put everything you think you will need on the bed, then halve it. A light pack is a good pack.

18. Get to the airport early and request a nice seat. Smoothest ride is near the middle of the plane
Cave Dweller is 100% correct here, if your only going for a month, you don't want a 90lt pack + Day pack. Pack Light is the key.

If you a flying 'long haul' (no stop overs) ask for the "exit row" in the middle of the plane. This generally has shit loads of leg room and you can spread out a bit.

gravelclimber said:
4. In contrast to everyone else, I say plan nothing. Be totally flexible. If you meet up with somebody you want to hang out with stay with 'em. Meeting people is what it's about. Site seeing is secondary.

5. Don't get stressed if things go a bit wrong. Relax. It'll turn out OK.
I agree with graveclimber on this. I travelled for 3 years, and nothing was more enjoyable than arriving at a train station, buying a ticket, and landing at some place new not knowing what to expect. Great experience.

Over 4-5 weeks, you should be fine, but if something does go wrong, relax, it will sort itself out.

Other bit of advice that could help :

Lonely Planet Book on Europe - this has all the things you can think of, hostels, cheap accomodation, cheap meals, and little things worth seeing, trying about the places you are going. Any second hand book store will have one, or they are about $40 new I think.

PacSafe - The best thing I ever bought while travelling. Great security for you pack if you want to leave it at a hostel or alike, while your out chasing "foreign ladies" ;)

DONT HITCHHIKE

Attachments

Last edited:

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you go to Cyprus make sure you see both sides, Northern Cyprus is probably the most peacefull occupied teritory in the world and it will open your eyes up to the way trade embargos really affect a country.

Also if you enjoy Trail and All Mountain riding, take your bike. I left mine here and regreted it for the whole trip. The north west corner of cyprus has some of the best trails in the Near East, Ther is an old Israeli (sp) guy who's mapped all the trails if your intrested I'll try and get some contact details for you.

mtb1611

Seymour
Don't be shy. In hostels and so on everyone is n the same boat so the normal human dynamics that apply in social settings don't exist. For example you wouldn't walk up to a group of people in a pub in Sydney and ask if you could join them for a drink. Because they may kill you. However in hostels etc we're all strangers, so be confident and make friends. It's also way easier to pick up chicks overseas, they love the good old Aussie accent (superficial, macho, sexist, but very very true, nd the stuff memories are made of ;) ). Be assertive if confronted by dodgy locals, they may rip you off and can smell fear and apprehension, leave them at home. As stated, avoid Aussies, this place is full of them and you already know plenty, so broaden your horizons. Be organised, have a plan, but alos be flexible: if something comes up that you really want to do but it's not in your schedule, rewrite the schedule to accomodate it - life is defined by experiences, so don't let a good one pass you by just because "it isn't in the plan". As said, this is only the beginning: you WILL get the bug! Good luck, enjoy, I'm extremely jealous!

Last edited: