overtacking in a dh race

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
hi there
now i wonder what the rules are when one catches up with the rider in front and wants to overtake. i know that one is supposed to shout 'rider' and so forth but what happens if the guy/girl doesnt pull over????
would one get a rerun because i was obstructed????
should one get pushy at the risk of the other rider and maybe oneself ??
it happened to me twice now the last time at the canberra state round 4.
unfortunately i came off at the palet because the guy in front of me wouldn't pull over and that was the end of my run.
maybe there are different rules also for state/national rounds .
please let me know
cheers harald

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The person behind should yell rider or track.

The person in front should pull over at the first safe moment. Note It is up to the rider in front to choose what they think is safe for them. As they pull over they should yell go left or go right, depending on which side they are pulling off to.

Rerun? Depends.

You would have to put in a protest to the TD, using the proper channels and then it would be up to the TD to decide if you get another run.

Many things would factor into whether another run is granted
eg
1) available time
b) whether the obstucted rider is in for a chance at a podium (Not really worth the hassel if you're fighting it out for 64th in sport)
iii) How politley you plead you case....

and other stuff I can't think of

Binaural

Eats Squid
I met a guy at the Coffs state round who got granted a re-run because of obstruction. May not apply for all levels of racing though.

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Passing in DH

Yes there was a rerun at Coffs and one at Canberra, both riders protested to TD and were granted 2nd runs.

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ride an Orange, people are scared of being rolled over by a filing cabinet.

When you are waiting in line for your race run, talk to the person infront of you, and ask them their name, so you can shout it and they will know its you. Its also good for calming the nerves...

In the Brian Lopes book, it says how if you have been caught, its stupid and selfish to block a rider, because you are already 30 seconds slower than someone, so its unlikely you even have a good result.

Sam

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
When you are waiting in line for your race run, talk to the person infront of you, and ask them their name, so you can shout it and they will know its you.
Just yell out "rider".
Don't forget that spectators yell out riders names whilest cheering. Is the rider meant to pull over every time his/her name is yelled

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im one of the slower ones in my division and as we have been issued our numbers for the season and start in number order, it just happens that the fastest guy in our division is right after me........so I often ask for a 1 minute break at the start in case he catches, but usually only at state rounds....

Otherwise, carry a big rock and throw it at his helmet if he doesnt move out of the way....sure to get the message across!

PyletSnviper

Likes Dirt
Just yell out "rider".
Don't forget that spectators yell out riders names whilest cheering. Is the rider meant to pull over every time his/her name is yelled
yer at coffs at the big tabletop people were calling rider in my race run... i thought it was because someone was on my tail so i pulled over straight after the tabletop to find noone there... i missed 3rd in Junior HT by 3 seconds.... guess how impressed i was!! i really wish rider was kept for the riders to call... and spectators calling so people would get off the track called something else like coming or something else just not RIDER!

Im one of the slower ones in my division and as we have been issued our numbers for the season and start in number order, it just happens that the fastest guy in our division is right after me........so I often ask for a 1 minute break at the start in case he catches, but usually only at state rounds....

Otherwise, carry a big rock and throw it at his helmet if he doesnt move out of the way....sure to get the message across!
same deal with me at the ourimbah state champs... just got my new bike ... mmmm demo 9 :D .. lol ... and coming from a HT i was a bit bad on it... not used to suspension and all..lol... the dude behind was alot faster than me so i asked the clock dude if i could have a minuite head start on him... i think he thought i was a retard cause he said ok dont worry just take it easy..lol.... but in the end the dude was 25 seconds behind me.. so had i not got the bigger gap i woulda had to have stopped/slowed him down

so guys and girls if your worried that the person infront is a bit slower just ask the time dude up the top... i am sure they will give u the minuite gap :)

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
same deal with me at the ourimbah state champs... just got my new bike ... mmmm demo 9 :D .. lol ... and coming from a HT i was a bit bad on it... not used to suspension and all..lol... the dude behind was alot faster than me so i asked the clock dude if i could have a minuite head start on him... i think he thought i was a retard cause he said ok dont worry just take it easy..lol.... but in the end the dude was 25 seconds behind me.. so had i not got the bigger gap i woulda had to have stopped/slowed him down

so guys and girls if your worried that the person infront is a bit slower just ask the time dude up the top... i am sure they will give u the minuite gap :)[/quote]

Just a bit of a tip here for everyone
If you are one of the slower riders in your group, let the people at registration know so they can put you after the fast guys. There is no shame in asking to be put further down the start order, it takes the pressure off you for your run and you won't have to worry about being caught.
I was the starter for the Ourimbah race and we accommodated about 20 or so riders with 1 minute gaps. It is much easier for the timing guys for us to leave a bigger gap between riders than to change the starting order. It gets very confusing for the timing people when we start mixing up the start order from the printed out sheets so don't ask to be moved ahead or behind other riders. When necessary and if possible we will give you guys a bigger gap but don't think that it will always be the case, esspecially when the event is running behind time. Additional time gaps between riders is a courtesy we extend when, and if we can, it is not to be expected everytime you race. Don't expect to get an extra gap each time you race, and don't get pissed off if/when your request for extra time gap gets rejected by the starter.
The standard time gap is just about always 30secs. If you are a slower rider and worried about being caught get rego to put you at the end of your class.
We can get away with this at club and some state races but you will find that it won't necessarily happen at the national races.

Now getting back the the thread topic.
If you do get caught by another rider in your race run you are required to let them passed you as soon as practical.

G-Man

Likes Dirt
Yep - your caught - your gone ..

I'm with incontinent total on this ..

if you know your a Funster and not going to be as fast as all
of the competition let the timing folk know and they can usualy
work out a workable srart for you - like Pylet Snviper ..

but in all folks ,, if you have been caught - your race is over
you just got instantly beat by 30 seconds by the pinner behind
you so get out of the way so as not to stuff the quicky
passing you ..

as you all know in DH every second counts and one second on
the breaks is one more second on your total time ..

so in the end - pay attention to your suroundings - keep an ear out
and do the right thing ,, i'm sure we have all been at both ends of
this one i know i have ..

Catch yas

G-man outy

arpit

Banned
I'm with incontinent total on this ..

if you know your a Funster and not going to be as fast as all
of the competition let the timing folk know and they can usualy
work out a workable srart for you - like Pylet Snviper ..

but in all folks ,, if you have been caught - your race is over
you just got instantly beat by 30 seconds by the pinner behind
you so get out of the way so as not to stuff the quicky
passing you ..
In regards to your first point, yep I agree. THe timing people at Ourimbah were very obliging when I asked them for a 1 minute gap.

In regards to your second point, yep that makes sense in theory, but not in Sport Class at Ourimbah ;)

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh,it can be very confusing to some if the person behind has caught up,especially when your on single track.ive had experiences when the person in front got a tad sketched out and did'nt know what to do,i was lucky it was only practice.as arpit said,if you know your ability you should be able to work out an arrangement with the time keepers.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah i would just organise sumfin wif the time keeper up the top
sumfin lik that wud be a sic idea aye bro

I prefer to yell "track" and leave the "rider" call to warn spectators there is someone coming. However, if I happen to have a faster friend behind that catches me, it's usually shoulder to shoulder 4x style (not recommended).