Oz hiphop....read before you spit da dummy

naz

Criminally Inane
ye i know theres another thread but i think its well and truly dead, and theres been plenty of new albums since then
atm my fav albums are:
Fbi presents Stolen Records
Hermitude-Alleys to Valleys
Urthboy- Distant Sense of Random Menace

and my collection stands at(artists)
Train of thought(demo tape, and Movin Heads)
Bliss and Eso(Flowers in the Pavement, Demo Tape, Arrival EP)
The Herd(The Herd, An Elephant never Forgets)
Hilltop Hoods (the Calling, Left Foot Right Foot)
Culture of Kings Compilations(1,2,3)
Art Of War(the First Chapter)
Lady Grey(Banned In Queensland)
Tzu(position correction)
Obescity
Muphin
Plutonic
Turntable Jediz
Lyrical Commision
Hermitude(alleys to valleys)
Urthboy(distant sense of random menace)
other artists with only a few tracks i have
Ozi Batla(from the herd, starship trooper awesome track)
Skryptcha(a firiend of a firends brother)
Trauma
Downsyde(in search of full albums)
Hyjak 'n' Torcha(some mad tracks, sneak to name one)
Good Buddha
ugly duckling
equilis
Blades of hades
H20(hard 2 overcome)
Artistic Intalekt
Terra Firma(in search of full albums/Ep's)
Bias B

the shit grows on you, started off hearing the herd a few months back thought fuck thats alright bought there album now im obsessed. bliss n eso are awesome im in search of anything (freestyles, unrealesed etc)
some of there best tracks would have to be lyrical wilderness, ghosts at my window and ofcourse there flowers in the pavement cd. urthboy has one awesome track long walk home, downloaded there whole album just for the one song.....
fav song atm: Hyjak 'n' Torcha Ft Bliss n Eso & MC Kye - Test oh awesome off stolen records album!!

oh and if any one has a Ex they hate and really wanna piss off send them Art of War-Death Dance "shes been a slut since 13 raisin her dress with guys feelin her up at luch with no way to respect" :p first lyric ehe

road warrior

Likes Dirt
really not a big fan of aussie hip hop. I can stand Hilltop hoods, but I wouldn't listen to them if I had a choice. I don't mind Full Throttle, they have a pretty bad ass flow. If anyone has seen/heard them.

flasher

Likes Dirt
I myself love Aussie hip-hop, but don't have that much of it.

I know and like:

Lyrical Commission
Train of thought (only have one song unfortunately)
The Herd (my first taste of Aussie hip hop was '77%' by them)
Hilltop Hoods (only their older stuff)
Hyjak 'n' Torcha (only found out about them recently [thanks naz!] but I'm loving them)
Bliss and eso (same as Hyjak 'n' Torcha)

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, i too think i shall have to steal/burn some of your collection Naz.
Can't get enough of the OZ hip hop.

I currently own:

Hilltop Hoods - The Calling
Downsyde - land of the giants
Downsyde - When the dust settles
Urth Boy - Distant sense of random menace
Koolism - part 3, random thoughts
Hermitude - alleys to valleys.

On that note, A few of you may be interested to know that Urth Boy, El Gusto (hermitude) and Ozi Batler are playing with 2 guy from L.A. here in katoomba (blue mountains) on 7th january at the gearins hotel (north side of the train station).
Cost is only $15, so maybe we should get a few of the OZ hip hop fans together for a farkin drink/show??

Naz - if you can burn some of that stuff for me, it would be great. i'll pay for the blank CDs if you can.. I can get u a copy of the new Downsyde album (when the dust settles) and if i can get around the "copy control" i can do the older one (land of the giants) too.

bsx boy

Likes Bikes
my brother hangs out with bliss and eso, we met them at some place at liverpool, they are the best people so nice they are not stuck up at all, aussie hip hop rips

wombat

Lives in a hole
bikeman_baldrik said:
Naz - if you can burn some of that stuff for me, it would be great. i'll pay for the blank CDs if you can.. I can get u a copy of the new Downsyde album (when the dust settles) and if i can get around the "copy control" i can do the older one (land of the giants) too.
Or you could go and buy them.
This isn't some big OS act who are already sitting on piles of money; most, if not all, of these guys will be struggling to get enough dosh to keep it all together through their music alone, and believe me every sale helps; even if only to demonstrate to promoters/labels/venues that people DO want to hear the music, and are willing to pay to do so.

If you love then music so much, then have some fucking respect for the artists.

Dim

Spirit Distributions
Oz Hip-Hop....theres only two things i could write about it

BLOODY AWESOME
that stuff rocks

naz

Criminally Inane
bikeman_baldrik said:
On that note, A few of you may be interested to know that Urth Boy, El Gusto (hermitude) and Ozi Batler are playing with 2 guy from L.A. here in katoomba (blue mountains) on 7th january at the gearins hotel (north side of the train station).
Cost is only $15, so maybe we should get a few of the OZ hip hop fans together for a farkin drink/show??
oh oh hopefully i can come if i have the next day orffff

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wombat said:
bikeman_baldrik said:
This isn't some big OS act who are already sitting on piles of money; most, if not all, of these guys will be struggling to get enough dosh to keep it all together through their music alone, and believe me every sale helps; even if only to demonstrate to promoters/labels/venues that people DO want to hear the music, and are willing to pay to do so.

If you love then music so much, then have some fucking respect for the artists.
Yeah, i know what you're saying Shayne, and most of the time i do buy them, im just a bit short of cash at the moment.

Naz, let us know if you're gonna come up.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Cant agree more, when the manager of the Hill Top Hoods works full time in a retail Job it says something about how much money the hill top hoods are making and they would be making alot more than most groups. They same goes most of the people involved with OZ hip hop.

Don't be a tight arse :evil:

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Living in Adelaide near Blackwood and going to primary school their, I know alot of people involved in the local hip hop scene, so how could not like it. Regardless of that Adelaide has a massive hip hop scene at the moment and most weekend there are live shows.

Other awsome local groups to listen that have not been mentioned are:
A tribe is Forming (sort of hip hop, sort of rock) Awesome live act Look for their track old tricks
Beat Smugglers
DJ delta
Funkoras (sp)
Terrafirma
Mr Peabody
Kugar

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
Can honestly say that Oz Hip Hop has converted me to the other side. Have been a big rock fan all my life and still am. I really never liked the rap/hip hop from overseas (and still don't), especially with the gangster attitude that comes with the stuff from the states. But I love the Oz style and sound is very unique, at the moment anyway and I reckon they tell some great stories of our culture. Two thumbs up from me.

wombat

Lives in a hole
bikeman_baldrik said:
Yeah, i know what you're saying Shayne, and most of the time i do buy them, im just a bit short of cash at the moment.
Fair enough, my wallet isn't exactly full either, but I think we need to realise that if you can't afford something you just have to wait. I'd love a DH bike, but I'm too short of cash for one; doesn't mean I'm going to flog one from the local shop.

(Not meaning to get on your back Evan, you just happen to have brought it up this time :) ).

Rik

logged out
Sorry to butt in, but if you're short of cash so you intend on pirating, how do you think the artists feel? They're not exactly loaded, and probably struggling to pay back the record companies advance... how would you feel if they started taking away your earnings for their own personal enjoyment?
Not wanting to fire up a music piracy debate, I'm against the industries ancient business practises, but if we're talking about struggling local acts, they deserve all the support they can get. The SkipHop seed has been planted in the mainstream spotlight, enough people have to water and nurture it and we'll have a blooming scene in no time. To piss on it in its development would be a disgrace. Buy the records, get out to the gigs, spread the word... there's some great stuff coming in to the mainstream, the poptastic public are starting to accept it, it might explode just as the dirty rock sound has done so over the past few years, so get behind it and claim you were part of the newschool when it does :p

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rik, Shayne, i know what you are saying.
I support he Australian scene as much as i can, the hilltop hoods CD is the only one of those i have pirated, and that was given to me, it was not requested. That said, it was the album that got me into OZ hip hop.
The others i have purchased legitimately.
I would love to be able to go out and buy all the CDs i want, but im not working at the moment (haven't started yet) and the cost of most of the local artists albums is usualy $30 upwards.

Half of my collection is pirated (all american stuff) because i don't like it enough to go and buy the whole album, i might just like one or two songs.
Usually a mate will have something i like, so he copies it for me. And i do the same for him.
Can you honestly say that you dont own any pirated CDs?

chucK

Likes Dirt
Been a fan of Aussie hip hop for quite a while now. Gotta love the chilled out beats and clever rhymes. Matty B, Downsyde, the hoods, TOT, Pegz, Optamus, etc etc... champions

Naz, you should check out some french rap by a bunch called IAM. I can't understand any of what they say but they produce some very fine music.

wombat

Lives in a hole
bikeman_baldrik said:
Yes, unless you count CDs which I've bought and then made copies of to stick in my car (they get so knocked around in there).

Oh wait, I did have a copy of Guide to Better Living years ago that my mate leant me. After a few listens I decided I really liked it though so I went out and bought it myself.

I am guilty of making a distinction though between local acts and bigger OS bands. I won't get down anyone's throat for copying a Metallica or Brittany Spears album, and I don't see a huge problem with downloading a song or two as it's a great way to experience different acts. Downloading entire albums or copying them from local artists is another matter though.

naz

Criminally Inane
wombat said:
bikeman_baldrik said:
Yes, unless you count CDs which I've bought and then made copies of to stick in my car (they get so knocked around in there).

Oh wait, I did have a copy of Guide to Better Living years ago that my mate leant me. After a few listens I decided I really liked it though so I went out and bought it myself.

I am guilty of making a distinction though between local acts and bigger OS bands. I won't get down anyone's throat for copying a Metallica or Brittany Spears album, and I don't see a huge problem with downloading a song or two as it's a great way to experience different acts. Downloading entire albums or copying them from local artists is another matter though.
so what because there overseas artists that makes it ok?

so you have never used p2p software? uve never borrowed a mates cd then backed it up.

seriously, piracy is the younger peoples generation, most people my age these days dont buy cd's they download them. no matter how much people say how wrong it is, it will never stop...sorry...

naz

Criminally Inane
chucK said:
Naz, you should check out some french rap by a bunch called IAM. I can't understand any of what they say but they produce some very fine music.
i love french rap..
IAM
NTM
Mc Solaar
sounds so cool
same with spanish rap :p (beatnuts)