Paddo - didn't live up to the hype - better options?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Went to Paddo for the first time yesterday, with my housemate who is a skater. We had a bit of fun, but it didnt really live up to the hype. What should be my next port of call if I want something better for MTB - Stafford, Ferny, Albany Creek, Jindalee.....??

I did love the 2 seating levels up the top as you walk in, stalling and bunnyhopping down them sideways was the best bit of the sesh.

Disturbed.Rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went to Paddo for the first time yesterday, with my housemate who is a skater. We had a bit of fun, but it didnt really live up to the hype. What should be my next port of call if I want something better for MTB - Stafford, Ferny, Albany Creek, Jindalee.....??

I did love the 2 seating levels up the top as you walk in, stalling and bunnyhopping down them sideways was the best bit of the sesh.

You need to go to paddo a few times to find all the lines....I'm going there today, and I'll probly spend the whole day there, without getting bored.

come with us to beenliegh tomorrow.....we'll go to kuraby too.

Theres a lot of fun to be had!

beaty

Likes Dirt
You need to go to paddo a few times to find all the lines....I'm going there today, and I'll probly spend the whole day there, without getting bored.

come with us to beenliegh tomorrow.....we'll go to kuraby too.

Theres a lot of fun to be had!
I Agree. Once you familiarise(spelling??) yourself with a spot you will be more aware of possible lines. you can even create new lines, and i guarantee if you rode there more. You'd most likely love the place. But thats only coming from me and past experiences.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
paddo certainly isnt the best skatepark around. in fact IMO its pretty shit and boring, but there are some fun little lines that can keep you entertained for a bit.

in fact, there are a number of parks in/around brisbane that are pretty similar to paddo in that sense. Jindalee, Fairfield, Redcliffe, Morayfield for example - all great fun parks, but not the kind of place you can spend the entire day. Morayfield is probably the pick of that bunch.

A good day's riding can be made up of beenleigh (not the most tech park, but some cool boxes and a big wallride and stuff - also right next to a BMX track which is right up your alley, slip), Kuraby (little street scape, a bunch of fun quarters and hips and a mammoth flat bank. some fun transfer lines to be had) and then Paddo on the way home. made easier by the fact that they are all along the train line, with the exception of paddo, though it is easily in riding distance from Roma St.

if you're driving, then you have a whole myriad of parks you can visit in the same sort of region. Woodridge is pretty close to Kuraby, as are various other parks. Crestmead is supposed to be pretty good, but you then have to worry about getting stabbed by a little 12 year old kid so he can sell your bike to buy more metho and paint.

Redcliffe is a fun park, especially good for a night ride - the lights are on until about 11pm.

check out www.skateboard.com.au and search the parks i've mentioned above to get some photos and get a feel of which parks you'd like to visit

beaty

Likes Dirt
Crestmead is supposed to be pretty good, but you then have to worry about getting stabbed by a little 12 year old kid so he can sell your bike to buy more metho and paint.
haha you got that right. I pretty much started off riding there. Hmm no wonder i gave bmx up. But no disrespect to creastmeade. Its got a good skate park there and there is heaps of lines that you can flow with ease. :( i feel like going for a ride there right now. Oh well maybe tommorow:rolleyes:

beaty

Likes Dirt
Browns plains is actually realy good. It also has a pretty sick dirt track next to it. But the only thing bout brownsy is that it can get very crowded at times. But awesome setup and atmosphere.

Disturbed.Rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A good day's riding can be made up of beenleigh (not the most tech park, but some cool boxes and a big wallride and stuff - also right next to a BMX track which is right up your alley, slip), Kuraby (little street scape, a bunch of fun quarters and hips and a mammoth flat bank. some fun transfer lines to be had) and then Paddo on the way home. made easier by the fact that they are all along the train line, with the exception of paddo, though it is easily in riding distance from Roma St.
Fairfield is also on the beenleigh line....but thats alwayes full of old school skaters who hate bikes. :(

I was at paddo for most of the day and I had a blast....but I was a bit let with the fact that theres nowherew really good to spin.

annnnyyyywwaaayyyy......
You up for beenas/kuraby tomorrow, Slip?
Anyone else interested?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I'm super keen but can't make it, flat out all weekend. Next couple of weekends will be good.

There was a BMX'er spinning out of the bowl transfer 360 with fuck all airtime, the man could ride.

I'll have to come for a paddo sesh with you guys and find some lines. I have no flow at all.

Yay BMX track, so keen for that.

I think the fact that I'm really shit may have something to do with it.

derelikt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best way to get to Jindas is to get off at darra station, Then you find the bike-lane and follow it all the way along till the bridge, Simple as that. And also Paddo is a great park, if you can do a little bit of tech.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Gimme some examples of tech action. I like tech work, but because of my very long hiatus from things with two wheels AND pedals I'm lacking in ideas.

I was stalling the front on the coping in the bowl and riding out fakie (badly), stationary bunnyhopping sideways down the seating area as you come in, going up the ramp on the grind/rail thing-stoppie-stall-bunnyhop off sideways. Is this normal shit? I need inspiration.

derelikt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some things for at Paddo. Tailtaps, 270 taps on the box, 360 taps on the box, Abubaca to fakie, Deck manuals(I cant always do these), Front disaster to 180 back in the quarter, 180-uber fakie-tyre slide out over the hump, 360 the hump, 360 the flat bank, Ally-oop(i think) on quarters/Flat bank/Bowl/Half-pipe, Nose-manuals on the box, Foot jams on the Flat Bank(I cant quite do yet), Hop manual the ledge thing next to the coffin, x-up the coffin to the flat bank, Disaters, Abubaca the rock next to the quarter. So as you see, there is lots of things you can do at paddo. Not all tech, But is still fun.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I'll need to come out with you guys for a sesh. No idea what foot jam, abubaca etc are. It's been a long time on motorbikes for me, and this is way harder. I'll post in the ride thread. I'm keen for next weekend 22nd.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'll need to come out with you guys for a sesh. No idea what foot jam, abubaca etc are. It's been a long time on motorbikes for me, and this is way harder. I'll post in the ride thread. I'm keen for next weekend 22nd.
im in for that. havent ridden for ages and should have my new frame by this thursday or so.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
sold, to the man in the hat.

I'm keen for a pre-lunch start time or arvo.

As a random aside - I'm cutting my bars down this week, go lock ons or just replace with normal grips and tie wire them on?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
sold, to the man in the hat.

I'm keen for a pre-lunch start time or arvo.

As a random aside - I'm cutting my bars down this week, go lock ons or just replace with normal grips and tie wire them on?
pfft narrow bars are old news, wide is the new narrow ;)

grips aren't much of an issue, really. if you want to replace the ones you have, bmx grips are far cheaper (like half the price cheaper). you dont reaally have to tie them down, just use hairspray to get them on and wait for it all to evapourate before you start riding them.

as for saturday, i just remembered im working 8-230 on saturday, so will probably just head down to paddo after (i work just up the road), or else i might drive out to jindas...

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
sat arvo is cool, im driving so jindas or paddo.

sunday is also good.

stock norco250 bars are pretty wide man.